Status: Oneshot

Ignite

We Won't Ever Know

I'm standing in the forest with Brandon, a good twenty feet between us and my gun leveled at his chest. It kind of reminds me of the first time we met, but he's not as sarcastic this time around. That might be because of the war raging around us, or it might be because my arm isn't shaking with uncertainty.

"El, you don't have to do this. This is what your family wants, it's not what you want," he pleads, reaching out for me. I flick the safety on the gun and he drops his arms, looking defeated. "I wish you would just listen to me."

A laugh slips out of my mouth, bitter and hoarse from all the smoke that surrounds us. "Listen? You want me to listen to you? Oh, that's rich," I spit, glaring at him. "You and the rest of the pushers burned half of my hometown to the ground and you think I should listen to you? You're much more fucked in the head than I thought."

His eyes turn towards the dirt at our feet, but I refuse to let my guard down. I did that once already and now everyone I know is paying the price. "I love you. I know it sounds crazy and false, but it's not. I would burn myself where I stand if it would make you change your mind about me, about us."

"I'm lucky my family hasn't killed me because of this," I reply. "Betrayal is unforgivable, and if it weren't for the fact that our town is still burning as we speak, I would be dead. So don't tell me you're sorry, or that you would burn for me, or any other shitty lie you can come up with. Just give up and accept your punishment. Die with a little dignity, yeah? Maybe then I won't hate you so much."

Brandon meets my eyes again, expressionless as he raises his hands. "Fine, I'll stop trying to convince you," he says. Then he snaps his fingers, and a wave of heat laps at my skin.