Someone Like You

Four

“Look, I don’t mind you being here and all, actually it’s great to see you,” Abby said, also messing around with her computer while Melissa sat on the floor next to the refrigerator that contained all of the assorted laboratory specimen. “But why on god’s earth are you here of all days?”

“I wish I knew,” She said, staring blankly at the room, showing no emotion with her face. “I miss my family.”

Abby turned her attention away from the screen and looked over at Melissa. Her knees where pulled up to her chest and Abby knew that she was hurting.

“We miss you too.”

Melissa looked up at her with pleading eyes. “Then why did it all change?”

“Nothing changed,” She reassured. “We’re all still the same.”

Melissa shook her head. “I wish it was.”

“It is.”

“No. It’s changed. I made a mistake. I can’t go back now.”

Abandoning the task at hand, Abby walked over to her friend and leaned her back against the glass door of the fridge, sliding down next to her friend.

“He misses you a lot Mel.”

She turned her head away from Abby, looking into her office at nothing in particular. “He hates me,” She admitted.

“He doesn’t hate you,” Abby corrected. “He’s never hated you.”

“When I left, he said he would find someone else better than me,” Melissa explained. “He hates me because he lied to my face Abs.”

Giving in to her body’s wishes, she gave up her control of her tears, feeling the warm liquid begin to roll down her cheeks and crash into her lap. It was no use to hold them back now.

“Melly,” Abby said with obvious sympathy in her voice. She threw her arm around her shoulder, pulling in to her chest, allowing her best friend to cry on her shoulder as a way to silently comfort her.

“Melly,” Abby whispered. “I have to tell you something important.” She picked up her head looking at her with heavy, red eyes.

“Tony got engaged.”

----

“Why is he pacing?” The dark Israeli woman asked, leaning over McGee’s shoulder.

“I think she came back,” He explained, typing away at his keyboard and occasionally glancing up at his partner, who by the end of the night was going to wear a hole into the floor and end up on the level below them.

“Who is she?” Ziva asked, not quite understanding what exactly was going on.

McGee sat there for a moment, decided whether it would be best to tell her and fill her in on Tony’s love life, or if he should leave his new friend out in the dark about the whole situation.

“Her name’s Melissa,” He began. “They worked together a long long time ago in Baltimore. Then, when Tony took this job, Gibbs offered her one too, but she said no after two days on the job.”

Ziva nodded her head telling Tim to go on with the story.

“But she still stayed here, even though she wasn’t working for NCIS anymore. We all kind of grew together as a family and she didn’t want to leave.”

“Then, her and Tony had a fling during a week in Mexico and they were a couple ever since.”

Ziva nodded in understanding. “Oh, so she’s an ex?”

“Not exactly…” He said hesitantly. “She was the love of his life.”

“But I’m sure he’s had many more loves like her,” Ziva said, trying to make sense of it all.

He shook his head. “He’s never been the same as he was when he was with her,” He said, looking at his poor friend in a state of distress before him.
♠ ♠ ♠
sometimes it lasts in love,
sometimes it hurts instead.