Someone Like You

Six

With a bit of encouragement, Melissa found herself in the elevator, being trapped by its stainless steel doors. She tried to collect her thoughts, but in all reality, she had no idea what she was going to say to him.

The small ding of the bell made her aware that she had reached the floor and the doors sprang open, allowing her to step out on to the building floor.

With her mind racing, she hadn’t even noticed that it was now dark outside and that many of the employees had gone home. But of course, those who worked in the bull pen, well, their desk lights were on as they were busy filing papers, searching for the bad guys, and avoiding returning to a lonely, cold apartment.

She bit the inside of her lip, trying to think of what she was going to say.

So far, she had nothing. No words.

Nada.
Zero.
Empty.

He was busy with what looked like paper work, but it was actually a blank paper with scribbles on it. He was just trying to keep his mind off of anything and everything.

She took in a deep breath rounding the corner of the cubicles before stopping in front of his desk.

“Hi Tony.”

He looked up, blinking twice in disbelief with what he saw. Her hair now had a slight wave to it and she wore less makeup than she used to. Or maybe it was because she had just dropped in. Maybe it was because she was heart broken.

Maybe it was because she didn’t care anymore.
Maybe it was because she cared too much.

“Mel,” He spoke after a long period of silence and small talks with himself to remind him that this was in fact, not a dream.

McGee and Ziva both had stopped what they had been doing and were now unsure of whether they should let the couple figure their lives out alone, or if they should stay in case something went terribly wrong.

“Uh hey, Ziva!” Tim called out, making a quick decision to leave them alone. “You want to come see if Abby’s got those lab results back yet?” Ziva nodded and excused herself from the situation, leaving with McGee to hide around the corner by the staircase so that they could still peak in and watch the couple put the pieces of the puzzle back together.

“Tony,” She gulped.

“Why are you back here?” He asked in an almost accusing tone.

She rested her hands against his desk, staring down at her shoes on the floor. She couldn’t even answer that question.

“I don’t know…” She said meakly.

He threw his hands on the desk rather hard, causing him to come off as angry instead of frustrated and confused. “I don’t get it Mel. You walk out on me one day and the next you just show up in my office.”

She stood there stone cold, listening to her own breath and trying to collect her thoughts.

Tony had gotten up from his chair and was now standing, pacing on the back side of his desk. “You just show up out of the blue.”

“I know,” She whispered. “I know.”

He stopped pacing and folded his arms over his chest. “Then why are you here?”

She glanced back down at her shoes when she had made the mistake of looking up at his eyes. She could see he had changed, that he was angry with her leaving.

She licked her lips. “I made a mistake Tony.”

“Walking out on an almost marriage is not a mistake Melissa.”

“I don’t know what you want me to say,” She said whipping her head up. “Do you want me to say that I’m sorry and I never meant to leave? Or do you want me to say that I was the biggest fucking idiot for leaving you?” She yelled. “Because both of them are true Anthony!”

“I made a mistake, alright? I made the mistake of walking away from the greatest thing that had happened to me. I made the mistake of waiting around for you to chase me and when you didn’t I knew I had to come back to you.” Melissa shook her head, feeling the words come straight from her heart without going to her brain to be processed.

“But the biggest mistake I made was falling so much in love with you Tony.”

“Mel…”

“No, no you don’t get to do that anymore,” She hissed, throwing her arms out to push him away from trying to comfort her. “You lost that the minute you got engaged to another woman.”

“Mel…”

“I hope you tell her the same lies that you told me,” She said coldly. “But this time I hope that you tell her them because they’re the truth.”

With that being said, she spun on her heel, heading back to where she came from and hoping to never see Anthony DiNozzo ever again.

“I left her because she wasn’t you.”

Melissa stopped, feeling those words hit her like a brick wall. Gibbs was telling the truth after all.

He stepped around his desk, meeting her near the window where she had stopped. She could feel the heat radiating off his body as he stood close behind her.

“Nothing could ever compare,” He whispered lowly, right below the shell of her ear.

“Is this another lie?” She asked, gritting her teeth, kicking herself for knowing that it wasn’t.

“Melissa,” He said, placing a hand on her waist. “I meant every goddamn thing I ever said to you.”

Hesitantly, she spun around under his palm, coming face to face with the man who had stolen her heart so long ago. Her eyes moved back and forth between his own and his lips, undecided on which she should pay attention to.

His other hand had made its way to her hair, pushing back the few pieces that had fallen to her face, tucking them behind her ear.

“I haven’t stopped thinking about you,” She admitted, a slight blush creeping up on her cheeks.

“Me neither.”

She took a hard gulp of hair, letting the words slip off her tongue.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.”

Slowly, the space between them had disappeared as he leaned in closer. She licked her lips in anticipation of his actions, knowing exactly what was to come. Soon enough, her eyelids closed and her arms snaked their way around the back of his neck, feeling the warmth of his lips being pressed against hers.

Gently, he bit down on her lower lip, sliding his tongue between hers, letting her know just how much he had missed her.

What seemed like minutes was really only a few seconds, before they both pulled away from each other desperate for oxygen.

Melissa looked up at her prince charming and smiled shyly. He smiled back, pulling her tightly to his chest, fully aware that neither one of them were going to find anyone else to spend the rest of their lives with but each other.

“Are they back together now?” Abby asked, poking her head up around McGee’s shoulder.

“They’re back together,” He confirmed.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.

Short. Sweet.
To the point.

Now I will continue to reread this a dozen times, because I am weird like that.

Love,
Hannah