Friend Zones and Flowers

Summer Friendships

You know how you always get those friends that you only see in the summer because you go to different schools or they come to your town for the summer because they have a vacation house there or something. Mitchell and I were summer friends because we went to different schools and we mostly interacted through our shows.

We were in another show and yet again, I was cast in the chorus and he was a relatively important character. The boyfriend of the main character. We became even better friends. He asked to borrow a movie from me because I talked about owning it. I agreed. However, I brought it to him on the night of the cast party. I didn't know how I would get it back. I wasn't going to be in the next show at that company that summer because I had a previous engagement.

I returned from my summer camp engagement to find a post from Mitchell on my facebook wall. "Hey, so are you back? Because you could drop by the theatre tonight and pick up your movie maybe." And that's how I started my backstage work. I ended up moving the sets for that show along with Mitchell.

Our friendship grew a little more. There was another cast party, a beach-type party at a local park. After everyone had left, we sat on the merry-go-round. We talked about life, about silly things, about sad things, about everything. Finally, our ride came. I dropped him off and didn't see him for the rest of the year.

I kept thinking about how we could be so perfect together. We liked all the same things: music, food, books. Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen. Not yet, at least.