I Am Lightning

Townsfolk and chargers

So I learned a fun fact today. It turns out that all my life I’ve thought the element stones could only be broken by the Master of that element, the owner of the stone. It has always been true that Elements can’t break another elemental stone, so I could never have even scratched the others. However... ordinary people can. So people who do not possess element powers can really screw over someone who does, just by smashing up their stone.

Oh but don’t panic- the fire stone wasn’t smashed. Not exactly...
“I broke the stone into four pieces and sold it to traders from different cities. I don’t know what has become of them now.”
I couldn’t believe it. But I had to. As I considered my next option, my fingers absentmindedly played with the chain around my neck till all of a sudden my lightning stone sat in my hand. Its pale, lemon yellow colour glistened in the sunlight filtering into the Lord’s chambers. The stone was warm in my hand from having been against my skin for so long. I felt the eyes of Joshua and Lord Martin on the stone, and wrapped my hand around it, and squeezed. If I lost this... I would be as nothing. It was... incomprehensible. The stone was just as much a part of me as I was of it.

“Uh, Fulgora... your hand...”
I ignored Lord Martin’s words. I could feel the small trickle of warm blood as it slipped down my hand, I didn’t need him to point it out. The blood over the stone gave it a strange orange tint. I wiped the blood away and tucked the stone back inside my shirt.
“Joshua, go and get yourself ready. You will need travelling clothes and a sword, and a bag of sorts.” Joshua’s eyes flickered from his father, to my face, then to my hand, then back to his father. Lord Martin nodded, and Joshua jogged from the room.
“Promise me you will protect my son,” said Lord Martin.
“I owe you nothing,” I spat back at him, then breathed in deeply, trying to calm myself. “Where... where did the four traders come from?”
The Lord appeared shocked at my outubrst, and a little irritated, but answered me nonetheless. “I only know that one was headed to Majestic City, and I believe another came from Bedlam City for he had their blonde hair... but I cannot be sure.”
“How long ago was this?” I asked.
“Hmmm... about three years ago,” he replied.
I sighed. “Is there any chance I could get a sword from you? Or perhaps a bow?”
“You can have both,” he replied, “if, as I asked, you promise to protect my son.”
I looked at him, but my thoughts were elsewhere. “I promise to protect your son.”

Townsfolk watched as we passed, many following us as Joshua and I left the city. Many looked astonished, but I saw the relief on their faces; some even had grins. I fingered the hilt of my new sword, trying to accustom myself to its feel. I’d had my last sword for many, many years... before the darkness came and murdered everyone. No-one these days knew of the Element Reign except those nosy mages with their ancient tomes of knowledge. But they didn’t have true knowledge, only a written history of major events. I blinked, and felt the current of many people following us through the city as we neared the town gates. Now was probably a good time to pay attention to everyone around us. I looked over at Joshua, who had a big grin on his face. It figures- he’d probably had a rough time here, what with the fact that everyone was scared of him. And with fear comes hatred. I felt sorry for the kid.

A man stumbled out onto the path in front of us, causing Joshua and I to halt.
“Is it true? You’re taking him away for good?”
I eyed the man, my eyes hovering over the hopeful expression on his face. “Do you have any decency at all?” I asked him. At the same time I reached over and put my hand on Joshua’s shoulder.
“It’s... it’s alright Fulgora,” he said in a quiet voice. He pushed my hand away. “I know everyone wants me gone... and that’s why I’m glad I’m going, too.”
I gave the man a filthy glare and he jumped backwards and out of our way. A sudden image flashed into my mind of red poppies lying at the foot of my mother’s grave, and I looked back at the man. “Don’t worry,” I called back to him, “Joshua will come back and visit at least once a year!”
As we walked out of the town gates, Joshua looked at me. “We won’t actually, will we?”
“Oh yes we will!” I replied. “You have an obligation to visit your father!”

We had only walked a few hundred metres when Joshua turned to me. “Can I ask you a whole bunch of questions now?”
“No,” I replied, “you’ll have to be patient and wait until we make camp tonight. Do you see that farm up ahead? We’re going to buy some horses from there with the small fortune your father gave you, and then we’ll be riding for the rest of the day. You can ride, can’t you?”
“Of course I can!” said Joshua, sounding insulted.
“I didn’t mean to offend you, it was just a question; it’s better to ask than to assume,” I said.
“Well... yeah, I suppose,” Joshua replied. He glanced at me, but I kept a straight face. A few seconds later we reached the farm. There was a small house, a large barn next to it, and field upon field of long, lush green grass. I saw that one of the fields was full of cattle. Joshua and I made our way towards the barn, and found ourselves standing in front of eight beautiful creatures.
There were two dappled greys, a roan courser, a spotted palfrey, two palominos, a black destrier and one bay. As Joshua and I examined the four-legged creatures, we heard a door open and the owner of the horses came out to greet us. His face registered shock when he saw us, but he hid it rather quickly. I ignored him for the moment as I watched the destrier shake its mane and bend down for some hay. I spied also the palfrey and the courser, wondering how on Earth a farmer had come to own such animals. The farmer greeted us from a distance, giving Joshua a small bow, and Joshua replied. They looked at me.
“Yes, hello, I’m Fulgora. Tell me farmer- how did you get such fine horses?”
“Well, when a knight retires, or a Lord,” he dipped his head to Joshua here, “no longer requires their horse, they come here to sell it. There isn’t really much of a stable at the City, other than that place at the inn, but they don’t buy or sell horses, just bed them for the night. Here is the only place around that you can trade in horses.”
I nodded at him. “Joshua, why didn’t your father ever give you your own horse?”
“Well... I think it’s because he didn’t want me travelling too far from the City.”

I looked back at the gorgeous creatures with their long lashes and deep eyes. To be honest, the destrier had been my favourite from the beginning. His black coat shone, and his muscles rippled beneath it. He was a spirited horse, and shook his head in an almost regal fashion.
“Well I’m taking the destrier. What about you, Joshua?”
“I always seen noblemen trotting about on their elegant palfreys... so I’ll pick the charger,” he said with a grin. I just shook my head at him.
“What?” he said, sounding somewhat indignant, “War-horses for the both of us sounds fair to me!”
“Yes, fair enough. Besides, they’ve probably already had their fair share of dragging around knights in heavy armour. The two of us will be nothing to them, and a good break for the poor, over-worked animals.”

Joshua pulled out his bag of gold and faced the farmer. “How much for the two horses?” he asked.
“And equipment,” I added.
“Well,” he said, “I think 5000 gold sounds fair.” Even Joshua’s eyebrows shot up at the significant price.
“I realise we’re buying war-horses,” I said, “but these are used war-horses and you won’t have many travellers coming through here with the need to buy them. Oh and... I get rather cross when people try and rip me off.”
“You mean rip me off,” said Joshua, but I ignored him. The farmer looked at my face and trembled slightly.
“Okay, okay... 3000 gold for the lot?”
“I won’t go over 1,700” I said. From there the two of us bartered until we settled on 2,400 gold. It was a lower price than probably any other customer would have paid, but that wasn’t thanks to any bartering skills on my part. I attributed it entirely to the fact that I was rather scary, and the man wanted us gone. He led the horses out to us with saddles and bridles and even some saddle-bags, and I even managed to wrestle some spare horse-shoes and a hammer just in case. I no longer, after so many years, liked to take chances if it could be helped. It almost always went against my favour.

By this time, it was past mdday, and the sun was a little way behind us as Joshua and I mounted and set off for the capital, Majestic City.
“Can I ask you questions now?” he almost pleaded, but I simply gave him a small smile, then spurred my black destrier into a run. Joshua followed quickly at my heels.
♠ ♠ ♠
So the two elements set out on their war-horses for the city of Majestic, home to King Edmund. Will they find a part of the Fire stone there? And what exactly is Joshua capable of at the moment?