I Am Lightning

The Elements

“So, a stranger from a faraway land, hmm? What land might this be and who do you hail from?”
I couldn’t help but give a small smile. I loved making up stories.
“My name as previously stated, is Fulgora,” I started, “and I come from the land of Alir’n. It is a land far different from yours, with scorching deserts of golden sand, aromatic spices and yellow-eyed people.” I paused, realising that in a sun-blazed place everyone would probably be rather tanned. “I cannot believe how much my skin has lightened since traversing these fair lands of yours,” I added. Then I went on- “I hail from my Lord, Lord Zalinkir, who sent me out to find new lands along with seven others. We have travelled far and wide, going our separate ways, with the goodwill of our Lord.” On a sudden whim I pulled a carefully wrapped package from a pouch attached to my belt, and held it up to Lord Martin. “He asked me to gift this to whosoever I could find that I deemed worthy to make peace with. So I present to you this jewel from my land in the hope that it pleases you.”

I pulled away the heavy cloth, revealing a treasure that in truth didn’t belong to me. In my hands I held a gleaming red ruby, and held it up for all to see. Lord Martin’s eyes widened, and many other gasped at its clear, dazzling vermillion depths. In truth, what I held in my hand was the fire stone. Not that anyone else needed to know that.

It had taken me a long time to acquire this, and I felt rather guilty doing so. But I knew I would need it, along with the four other stones I had in my possession. It had been a terrible day when I had come across the ruins of the Fire Realm. Vesta, the Fire Master, had been one of my favourite mentors, one of the only people I could really show my powers to without being afraid for their welfare. Vesta was nimble, and powerful, and had a flaming temper, something all of the fire people had. It had always been with joy and relief that I had spied from a distance the Fire Realm, and hurried to find myself at Vesta’s side. But on the day I had obtained this stone, there was naught but terrible anguish in my heart as I spied what the darkness had done. The whole city was destroyed, the bodies of people scattered about, all dead. Every last one of them. The flaming red of their eyes faded, but instead that colour smeared over the ground, the bodies and the walls of whatever structure stood standing. I remember the thick stench of that blood, the darkness of it. There was darkness everywhere. And it was with shame and regret that I plucked this fire stone from Vesta herself, her body torn in two, her face still full of heartfelt emotion, shielding others behind her. That was just like Vesta, ready to protect those weaker than her, which meant all of her people. And she had died trying to save them.

But enough of that! I’m not giving away this fire stone lightly. I have an idea that if I let it come into the hands of others, perhaps the power from the stone will awaken, and finally the next Fire Master will be born, and the race of the fire people will be renewed. I want nothing more than to see them once more in this world. All of the elements, not just fire.

The stones of water, air, earth and the cosmos rest heavily in the other pouches around my waist, all bearing similar memories. My own stone rests upon a long chain around my throat, hidden beneath my sleeveless black shirt. The darkness took all of them, and it is only because of the darkness that I still walk the Earth to this day.

I made a promise to my old friends, the Masters of each element, that I would find out what this darkness is, and I would avenge them. I have been stalking the land ever since, following the sense of the darkness, hoping to learn what it is and how to defeat it. And not just for them, but for my own people.
At that last, dark thought, I blocked the memories that came rushing in.
It's really hard being the only one left.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just can't stop writing this story. Forgive me if the chapters are too short.