I Am Lightning

The Crimson Cat Inn

I opened the door to the Crimson Cat Inn and was met with a blast of heat and noise. Lord Martin had eaten up my story like a pig to leftovers and in return for the fire stone allowed me to stay at this inn for a week, free of charge (I assume he pays or something), and allowed me to ask for any provisions I may require. The inn was full of people when I arrived at sunset, and already many of them were tottering around, having had more than their fair share of mead. I narrowly avoided a bearded man who flew at me from no-where, and made my way towards the inn keeper bustling from around the counter to greet me. He was a beefy man, void of facial hair and seemingly well-groomed.
“Ah yes, I was sent word of your arrival,” he said. Of course he’d recognise me, who wouldn’t? Some of the men in the room, those who were still in their right minds, were staring at me. It made me rather more attached to the drunkards who tottered around, winking to the inn keeper’s wife every time she brought around food and attempting to talk over every other man at their table. What sleazebags.

“So you have some rooms available?” I asked him. I saw at once a strange look creep into his eyes and knew he was considering worming his way out of the deal by saying there were no rooms left. I blinked my eyes for a second, feeling through all the rooms upstairs, and could see the current of only two people in the eight rooms available. This didn’t really help me if the other rooms were already booked out, but if he denied me, I could always threaten him. But the man cleared his throat and seemed to think better of it.
“Yes, we have a room upstairs for you, and plenty of food to go around. Feel free to take a seat. Do you have a horse stabled nearby? Feel free to bring it around to our stables and my servant girl, Rosie, can bed it up for the night.”
“Thank you for the offer. I have no horse. I’ll take a seat over in the far corner there,” I replied, pointing to a distant corner which looked somewhat empty. I hoped to receive no trouble there.

Weaving through the men, I found my way to a stool and small corner table, and waited there for some food. A few of the men looked over at me, and from a couple of quick blinks I could tell I had the attention of a fair few people, the current in their bodies showing me that they were facing me, or that they glanced at me every now and again. Not only was I the only female in the room besides the inn keeper’s wife who was pudgy and only bustled in every now and again, but I had yellow eyes and scars and a bow at my back and blade at my side. I ignored anyone who looked at me unless I met their eyes, in which case I stared back at them until I won. There was a time when I would not be allowed to walk among such people, and if ever they saw me, they would fall to their knees and worship the ground I stood upon. But now look at me...

I don’t really miss it. I didn’t like that sort of lifestyle. And I don’t think lesser of the people in here, after having lived among them for so long. They’re decent folk, and they dream and love and hope just the same as me. But they’re so quick to judge!

And even as I thought that, a man slid over to stand above me, towering over me where I sat.
“So what’s with your eyes then, hey? You some sort of magic folk what we throw into that College then, hey? And how’d you get them scars there, hey?”
I sighed, debating whether or not to answer him. I could continue with my fable made up for the ears of the Lord, or I could scare the living daylights out of this obstinate prick. But I decided to stay quiet. The inn keeper’s wife chose that time to bustle over with a plate of thick buttered bread and roasted meat, and I thankfully accepted my meal and started eating.
“Deaf as well as ugly then, huh?” the man grunted, not giving up so easily. A few other men turned their seats to watch.
♠ ♠ ♠
I haven't had any feedback from anyone so far, so if you're reading this, please leave a comment. I'd like some advice/ people to tell me what they think so far. Very much appreciated :)