Status: Active

The Fun They Will Have

A town in a town

I am sitting in front of the mirror getting ready. I put on my new silk dress and have the mechanical dresser do my face. It makes me look really pretty. Then I get up and fetch my diamond earrings up.

They are like no other normal earrings. They are made of real diamond, the kind they get from coal, not the chemical diamond which is so common these-days. This diamond was crystal-clear, with no impurities, Mom told me.

I get them on as the dresser adds some final touch. I think once again How good would I feel when I board the stage and then demand the present. Dad would have the people os the Present Associating Authority check its availability and then order it online. I would have my birthday gift in front of my eyes within seconds. But what could I take? What could be the thing I choose in a world so vast?A leavy dress, maybe? Made of thin LED fibres, the dress would make me look so amazing, with my dress changing colours! But no, there are things in the world far better than that. What about a bird? There are less than 500 of them in the country. A sparrow would be really cool to have. Tommy's old book said that there were thousands of them in one small town back in the old days.

But isn't there something more valuable that I could get?I think fronting into the mirror. And then suddenly it clicks into my mind and I know what exactly to take on my12th birthday. I do know what will give me joy beyond anything else I can imagine, beyond anything anyone can imagine.

I run to the window and look down. I can see the whole town laying before my eyes, dotted with people going in and out of other houses. I won't need to smile looking at the busy town from the 17th floor, I am getting a town for myself.
I walk into the hall with the silk flowing around my body, my anklets tinkling every time I press my foot against the cold marble floor. I reach the center of the hall and twirl causing my dress to swirl around me. Then I bow and start with a word of thanks, "Thank you everyone for coming here and making this day so special for me. Enjoy the party!"

My parents come and stand by my sides. I could see my old mean sister scowling at my joy. How mean! Then every adult came to congratulate my parents. This is my least favourite part of birthday parties. You just stand and wait in a crowd of adults. Why does everyone congratulate the parents, anyway? it should be the children who get congratulated. They are the ones who turn a year older, aren't they?

I slip away from the crowd because I know that as soon as they're done with their own talking, they'll call me to ask about my plans for twelfth year of my life. I find my friends round in a corner. I go up to them and explain them that they need to be standing at the back of the crowd when I announce what I want as my present. I do not tell them why and rush to Margerina, my sister. I tell her the same thing when she asks, "Why, little sis?"

I know that she is trying her best to be really nice to me 'cause its my birthday. I also know that I should be nice as well but I just snap, "You'll see," and walk away.

I tell the same thing to Tommy and a few of my cousins and return back to the suffocating crowd of grown ups.

As soon as it is twelve in the clock, everyone in the hall formed one single cluster and the body is divided into two halves, to make a path for me to go. I walk towards a stage which is all mine now with my back straight and my head held high. I climb a couple of stairs and turn around. Now I am facing such a big party of people. This is the first time a celebration this big is being held for me. Such parties, or bekki as we call them are a mark of a flourishing child. You get it when you turn twelve, sixteen or eighteen. I've attended thousands of such parties but since this is the first one dedicated totally to me, I feel quite nervous.

I clear my throat and look out for all my friends and siblings whom I asked to be standing at the back. They are right there waving at me. I do not wave back. All I do is give them a dazzling smile. I start, my voice trembling, "I'm sure every one of you want to know what I want for my birthday gift but unfortunately, it will be really difficult for me to explain it to all of you. So, I would like to request my parents- Mr. and Mrs. Jones, Tommy, Margerina, my friends and my three little cousins to meet me in the room at the back of the hall. Any other children whom I might have forgot to name may as well."

I step down the stage and walk towards the back of the crowd. It is now that my friends understand why I asked them to stand at the back. They follow me into the room.

Once I am sure that everyone is present, I ignore all the questions like, "Why did you call us inside?" or "Now don't waste my time, start with your wish!" or "Are you mad?". I start, "So, is everybody present? Mom? Dad? Margerina? Laina, Maina, Daina? Liminisa? Renett? Sherel? Tonica? Millie? Tommy?

I hear answers like, "We're here!", "Present!", "Yes, dear sister!"

I request all the children to sit down on the chairs arranged in a straight line. I see that there are sixteen children in all. Mom goes out of the room to make sure that everything is going on perfectly in the hall. Then I begin, "Dad, I would like to get myself a group of little people no more than three inches tall. In a town small and very like our own town would they live. They would work to earn their living. They would attend school like the ones that existed hundreds of years ago.

"Each one of us children would have a person to look after. They would look after their own character and design their interests and hobbies similar to those of themselves. Wouldn't it be fun?"

"It would," starts dad, "but I'm not sure you could have one. I don't know if it can be made."

I instantly reply, "Ask the Present Associating Authority then."

Dad frowns and calls the Present Associating Authority and they reply- Yes!

Now I'll be getting my town in a week!