Status: Rated 'R' for language.

Ever After My Perfect Disaster

The Perfect Disaster

“Thanks for closing up tonight, Nat,” Michelle called from the back of the bar.

“Not a problem, babe,” Natalia called back. “We’re only open for another hour.”

“I know,” her boss said coming around to the front of the bar. “But it was supposed to be my night and I’m sure you have plans with that hunk of a boyfriend.”

Natalia laughed. “I wish. Jon’s on a road trip with the team. They should be back tomorrow.”

Michelle nodded. “Alright. Well I’ll see you tomorrow night, then. Don’t drink all the Schnapps!”

“One fucking time,” Natalia cursed under her breath.

*****

Sitting down on a stool behind the counter, Natalia surveyed her territory. Not many people were still in the bar at the late hour. A few men were sitting by the door, all drinking Coronas. There were the regulars at the end of the counter talking like old friends- they probably were. The atmosphere was serene, even after a large crowd had just filed out.

That’s why Natalia loved working in Brewman’s Bar. For a party girl like her, it was the perfect atmosphere. On a busy night, she could get her fill of the adrenaline of a fun night out without having to go crazy on herself. But then there were the nights that were slow. Even worse were the nights were slow and she would go home to an empty apartment. Nights like that night.

There had been times, right after they had moved in together almost four months ago, that Natalia would come home after a long, boring night and just go stir-crazy. She would go out to clubs and get way to drunk and would stumble home. Eventually, that became a real problem.

For most guys, a girl that partied too much without him may have been a turnoff. And it was. But it was different with Jon.

Jonathan knew Natalia wanted to change. And in fact, he was the one thing driving her to give it up all together. Even if she hadn’t managed to calm down, Jon wouldn’t have cared. That was only one side of Natalia and he knew that.

*****

Nearly an hour later, the last patrons were exiting the door. Before she went to flip the sign, Natalia began to wipe down the counter and lock up the cabinets. She didn’t even know someone else was there until a stool on the opposite side of the counter screeched out.

Internally screaming at herself not to jump out of her skin, Natalia spoke without looking up from her spot crouched in front of the cabinets beneath the bar.

“Last call was ten minutes ago,” she deadpanned. “Sorry.”

“That’s too bad,” a familiar voice said. “I was hoping to surprise my girlfriend.”

Natalia shot up from underneath the bar. Jon.

“Jon!” she exclaimed. “What the hell?”

He chuckled as his girlfriend threw her arms around him awkwardly with the counter between them. “I thought I’s surprise you and give you the wrong day when we were coming home.”

“Surprise me? Like hell you did. More like scare the living shit outta me,” she pushed his shoulder. “Good game last night, babe.”

Jon shrugged. “We won, yeah, but it could have been better. Our offense was shaky, our defensive was phenomenal. And-,”

Natalia cut him off with a kiss. “Want something to drink?”

He nodded. “Surprise me.”

She smiled devilishly and began to mix different liquids together. It was a game they had. Jon would come to the bar just before her shift ended when he was in town and she would mix them ridiculous drinks.

“That’s really strong,” he almost choked as he sipped his drink.

“It should be,” Natalia said holding up the bottles she had used. “Rum, tequila, scotch, and gin with almost no ice. Give me some.” She downed the rest of the drink. “That’s good.”

Jon laughed and listened to the song on the radio for a few moments.

“Listen,” he held a finger up to the ceiling.

Natalia did as he said and soon came to recognize the song.

“Aw, Jonny Boy,” she giggled.

“Dance with me?” he asked extending his hand.”

“Eh, I’d rather stay here and drink,” she said lifting her shot glass with a smug expression on her face.

“Oh come on,” Jon laughed and led her to the small space between tables.

Pulling her close, Jon rested his hands on Natalia’s lower back and she leaned her cheek on his chest.

“Remember when we first heard this?” she asked quietly.

“You heard it,” he reminded her. “I had to sing it.”

It had been nearly a year ago when the Blackhawks had come into the bar after a tough loss to the Red Wings. Every one of the guys had the intention of getting absolutely shitfaced.

On a dare, Jon had to get up and sing karaoke. Being drunk, he hadn’t really given a shit. So up he went, hitting the shuffle button and ending up with Ever After.

Jon had been hitting on Natalia all night. Though she’d acted unimpressed, Natalia actually cancelled her plans to go clubbing that night- just to stick around with Jon. By the end of the night, he had her number and plans to call her when he was sober.

“I could be your perfect disaster, you could be my ever after,” she sang quietly. “I’m pretty much the girl in that song, I think.”

“What makes you think that?” he asked as they swayed to the song.

“I’m pretty fucked up, Jon,” Natalia sighed. “And somehow, you’ve stuck around.”

“Just because you like to party, doesn’t make you fucked up,” Jon told her for what felt like the millionth time. “Now if you were like Kaner, then I’d be worried.”

Natalia laughed softly. “But still, Jon. I’m far from the perfect girl you deserve.”

Jon stepped back from Natalia and cupped her face, really looking at her.

“Nope,” he said. “You’re perfect.”

“Cliché asshole,” she rolled her eyes.

“Undercover romantic,” Jon fired back.

“Shh,” Natalia put a finger to his lips. “Can’t let that get out.”

Jon laughed as the song slowly ended, but the two continued dancing.

“You ready to go?” he asked after a while.

Natalia agreed with a yawn. “Let me just lock up.”

*****

He sat at the counter and watched Natalia as she finished closing the bar up for the night.

Jon could see she was beyond tired. She had worked and extra hour on top of her six to eleven-thirty shift. Natalia’s hair was falling out of its ponytail and her makeup was just a little bit smudged. Her eyes were drooping and it seemed every few minutes she would stifle a yawn.

And despite all that, she was everything Jon could ever want. She was funny, smart, loving. Even with the partying tendencies, everyone loved her.

To him, she was perfect.

Nearly twenty minutes later, Natalia plopped down on Jon’s lap.

“Any chance I might be getting lucky tonight?” he asked.

She looked up at him with an arched eyebrow. “I don’t think so, Jonny Boy, I’m dead on my feet.”

Jon nodded and slid his jacket on before helping Natalie into hers.

“Wait here,” he said at the door.

Jon went back behind the bar and poured himself a shot of tequila.

“For luck,” he smiled as he led Natalia out the front door of the bar and into the chilly air of Chicago.
♠ ♠ ♠
So originally this was going to be a chaptered fic. But after days of writing and rewriting, I was like 'the fuck with this' and put it all together into a one shot. I just did a little editing here and there and presto! it was done. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!