The Kids From Yesterday

Farewell

Image

As the car left the driveway of my home, I remained silent during the hour drive to the airport. I stared out the window, watching the familiar figures of this city pass by for the last time. Sighing, I looked forward seeing the sign to the airport. I then felt a hand gently placing itself on mine, holding it firmly.

I looked down at our hands, and slowly I looked up and fixed my eyes on his melancholly expression and his sad eyes. Soon we pulled into the parking lot. He took my bags out of the trunk and carried them for me inside. After going through the steps of getting ready to leave, I felt his hand catch mine before I could leave.

"I can't ask you to stay, because that'd be selfish of me..." He quietly spoke.

"Zack..." I bit my lip, trying my hardest to keep the tears from falling. I then wrapped my arms around him and buried my face into his shoulder, gripping his shirt.

"I love you, Isla." He whispered. I heard the P.A announce my flight number, so I worked up the will to let him go.

I looked into his green eyes and whispered, "I have to go." Quickly wiping away the tears from my eyes and picking up my bags.

He didn't say anything, nor did I. And that was my last memory of him.

It had been nine years since I've seen him last, during the first few months we had exchanged letters and emails, but eventually they too died down with our relationship. It was 2003 when I left Huntington Beach to follow my dream. My dream being going to New York City to attend Juilliard School to someday become a great actress on Broadway.

I was selected out of 50 applicants for the scholarship to attend the school. Only ten were chosen and I was one of them. And as much as it broke my heart to leave my life behind in California, I wasn't about to pass up possibly my only chance to become an actress.

I had known Zachary almost my whole life, since I was just a little girl, a five year old girl who dreamed of her prince and always wanting to be a princess just like in the Disney movies. I've grown up with him since I moved to Huntington from England. He was five years older than me, and also good friends with my brother William. When I was just fifteen I realized I was in love with him, and soon after he expressed his feelings for me. But it was a forbidden love, a fifteen year old and a twenty year old having a connection stronger than any other.

But then I left Huntington when I was seventeen. Now I'm twenty-six and living life to its fullest. I own a loft in the West Village in the Meatpacking District, not far from Broadway itself. I'm one of the most regarded actress on Broadway in recent time and have been nominated several times at the Tony Awards, winning two.

My schedule is almost always full, lunches with fellow colleagues, dinners with celebrities. Shows to do, people to see, places to go. I've fulfilled my dream and have become the person I've always wanted to be.

I think about him once in a while, wondering how he is and what he's doing now.

September 1st

I sat at a table during lunch with my new director, discussing plans for a future show when my cell rang. Amidst the hustle and bustle in the restaurant, I had to cover one ear to hear when I answered the phone. "Hello darling, the place is a little noisy you'll have to speak up."

"Isla, it's me, Will. Can you hear me?" My brother's familiar voice was through the speaker.

"Wills darling, how are you dear?" I smiled, holding up a finger to my director, asking him to hold on.

"Ile, I know you're busy but I just wanted to ask you something."

"Will, you need to call me Isla, I go by that now. It's more professional." I chuckled.

"You will always be my baby sister Ile." He laughed.

"What were you going to ask darling?" I squinted, looking at the wine menu.

"I want you to come visit me. And meet my new fiancee. It's been years since you've come to LA, and last time we seen each other, I was the one that flew across the country to see you."

I bit my lip, "William that's something I need to think about, I'm busy right now hun, can I call you back in a bit?"

He sighed and gave a short laugh, "Yeah sure."

I paused and looked down, "I love you Will, I'll call you back, I promise."

I could feel him smile on the other line, "I love you too Isla, goodbye."

"Bye."

I hung up and then continued my conversation with my boss, but kept thinking about what Will asked. Going back to California? Seeing my brother might also mean that I'd see...Zachary. I just shook my head and tried my hardest to push that thought to the back of my mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment and Subscribe :)

Her name is pronounced "eye-lah" just in case you were wondering.