The Kids From Yesterday

Confessions

Image

The Next Day

"Alright, out with it. You're acting very strange and you've hardly touched your food. What's wrong?" Lindsey sighed, bringing her elbows up on the table.

I looked down and poked at the food on my plate with a fork. Lindsey and I had gone out for lunch today 'cause I needed to talk to her, but now that we were together the knots in my stomach were making me hesitate.

"Isla?"

I looked up at her and sighed, biting my lip and trying to think of how to say it.

"...Lindsey, I don't know what to do."

She looked concerned, "What is it? Are you alright?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Last night I went to Zack's house."

"Zack, the guy you used to date when you were a teen?"

I nodded. "His girlfriend is out of town and I thought we were just gonna have drinks and just talk, and we did, but...he kissed me. And I let him, but I pushed him away 'cause I knew it was wrong, I ran out on him last night. And I hardly slept last night, it's been eating me up inside and I'm just filled with guilt because I know when I tell Nick it's gonna hurt him so badly."

She looked down and processed all that I had said, "Isla, at least you stopped it before it went any further."

"I know! But-" I quickly placed my hand at the side of my face and turned away, not wanting to cause a scene. I looked back at her and began whispering, "But I still kissed another man. Do you think Nick will ever forgive me?"

She softly smiled and placed her hand on mine. "Isla, I've known you and Nick for years now and your relationship is one of the most special and strongest I've ever known. You're making the decision to tell him and that take's a lot of guts, but it's also very commendable. Nick will forgive you, I know it. He won't let a small mistake like that ruin what you two have worked at for six years."

A tear streamed down my face and I gave a half-smile, "Why are you so good to me?"

She laughed, "I just am. But I think I'm gonna have to start charging you for every session we have."

I laughed.

"Now eat your fries or else I will." She smirked.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, "Alright. How's Bandit? It's been too long since I've seen her."

A couple days later it was finally Sunday...and I eagerly but nervously awaited Nick's arrival. I've stayed in bed the entire weekend and tried to plan out how I'd tell Nick. I also cried a lot and was filled with mixed emotions, but there was no way that I was going to back out of this.

I was sitting by the bay window smoking a cigarette when I heard Nick come in the front door, calling out and stating that he was back. I also heard Will's voice, talking with Nick and soon Nick came into the bedroom. He tossed his bag on the bed and shut the door, singing that he was back. He was talking about his flight as he kicked off his shoes and removed his jacket.

He talked away but then his voice faltered and he went quiet. "Iles, what's wrong?"

I flicked the cigarette butts out the open window and looked at him. "How was your flight?"

He gave a laugh but even his smile faltered as he walked over. "It was fine. Didn't you hear me?"

"Sorry." I butted out the cigarette and turned to face him.

"Have you been crying?" He asked, sitting in the chair next to the window, taking my hand in his.

"Nick, I need to tell you something."

He smiled. "Alright, I'm listening."

I looked down and took in a deep breath. "Um...I don't...I don't know how to say this...um..."

"Take your time." He spoke, still holding my hand.

My heart pounded in my chest and I felt like I was gonna be sick. "When you left, you know how I said I was going to go and visit with Zack and Gena?"

He nodded.

"Well, Gena was gone. She went to Vegas for the weekend...so it was just Zack and I. Um, so we just stayed in and had a drink and talked...Nick...Zack kissed me."

He looked up at me and let go of my hand he slowly looked away.

I brought my hands up to my face and closed my eyes. "That was it, he kissed me but I stopped him from going any further. I knew it was wrong and Nick, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. It didn't mean anything, I hate myself for letting it happen. It was wrong and I'm sorry." I began to cry.

He sat there looking down at the floor and not saying anything.

I wiped away the tears and tried my best to stop crying. I stood up and walked across the room. "I'm sorry I ruined everything."

I stood in the middle of the room and remained silent. It seemed like eternity that I stood in that place and he sat in that chair, not talking. I heard a creak from the chair and heard slow footsteps approaching me. His hands gently held my shoulders.

"I love you Isla. And I know you love me. You made a mistake and I'm not gonna lie and say it's okay and that I'm not hurt, but I'm not gonna let this ruin what we have either." He spoke, now hugging me from behind. He took my left hand. "I gave you this ring because I trust you. I know that kiss didn't mean a thing, and I still want you to wear this ring. I love you Isla, and that is never gonna change."

I began softly crying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

"I know you are."

I turned around and hugged him. He kissed my head and held me. "Did you see us on Jimmy Fallon friday night?"

I nodded, "I did. I recorded it on the PVR and watched you every night. You guys did amazing."

He smiled. "Thanks."

I looked up at him and was about to apologize again but he stopped me. "I know." He said. "Just give me a kiss and that'll make everything better."

I half-smiled and went on my tip-toes to kiss him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a Comment
and
Subscribe