The Kids From Yesterday

Unexpected

Image

October 1st

This morning Nick and I had a light breakfast by the pool with Will and Em, and afterwards casually started to pack up our belongings as we had spent all the time we needed here. I was kind of relieved to be going back home to New York, with everything that's happened since I've arrived, I'm more than ready to go back.

I had spent about an hour on the phone with my director making plans to meet up to go over my lines along with the plans for the production.

This afternoon, I was planning on dedicating two hours to my dancing and at least another two to working on my lines for Cat On a Hot Tin Roof, but not long after my warm-ups, I was struck with a strong cramp in my lower abdomen, so painful I actually put off my workout for the day. The pain, though sharp and painful at first, became dull and constant. I just brushed it off and went inside to find something else to do.

Sitting at the kitchen counter reading my script while Nick was in the study, I decided that I wanted to bake something. I always found an excuse to not do the thing I was supposed to, so baking in my mind was a good enough excuse.

I began going through the cupboards grabbing the ingredients that I'd need for cookies, but found that the last ingredient I need was flour; and it was in a glass canister at the top of the cupboards.

I tried to reach for it myself, but even on my tiptoes I was too short; sometimes I envied Nick's height. I laughed to myself and went to get a chair, pushing it against the counter and climbing onto the chair. As I took down the container another sharp pain shot through my abdomen and affected my back, I winced in pain and dropped the canister on the counter, and missing my step and falling off the chair.

The loud thud sent Nick rushing into the kitchen and immediately taking my side. "Isla, what happened? Are you alright?"

I doubled over and held my stomach in pain. "I don't know Nick, I'm in so much pain."

"I'm taking you to the hospital." He helped me up and led me to the door that opened. Will came in with Emily, Zacky and Gena.

"What happened? What's wrong?" Will panicked.

"She's in a lot of pain, I'm gonna take her to the hospital." Nick murmured, picking me up and walking past everyone to take me to the car.

"We'll follow you to the hospital." Emily replied, pushing Will back toward his car.

Nick didn't bother saying anything more, once I was in the vehicle he got into the driver's side, started the car, and floored it out of the driveway.

As soon as we arrived at the hospital I was admitted into emergency and they began running some tests on me. I sat on a hospital bed and took deep breaths to try and handle the pain better. Nick held my hand and stroked it with his thumb.

"Don't worry babe, they'll find out what's wrong." He tried to comfort me, standing up and stroking my hair and gently kissing my forehead.

The hospital room curtain then quickly opened and the doctor came in. He was old and had white hair. His glasses were perched on the end of his nose and he held a clipboard with was I assumed was a medical file on me.

"Miss Pemberley?" He spoke, not taking his eyes off the board.

"Yes." I sighed.

"So we've taken a few tests already, one being a blood test and the other a urine one. Avery, can you tell me where the pain is?" He put down the file on the counter and approached me.

I placed my hands on my stomach. "It's my lower abdomen. It's sharp and dull at the same time. It feels like it's cramps but I don't know."

"Lie down for me." He instructed, so I did as I was told and he gently placed his hands on me, poking at my abdomen to find the spot. I hissed when he did.

"You can sit up now. Avery, when was your last period?" He asked.

I thought for a long while and looked up at him. Still not saying anything I stood up and walked up to the calendar in the room, counting the days. I could feel the colour draining from my face as I stared at the calendar.

"Avery." The doctor spoke.

"It was...supposed to be two weeks ago." I whispered.

"Huh?" Nick stood up, pushing the chair back as he did.

"Avery, there's the possibility that you might be pregnant. These signs all lead to that, but we won't know for sure until the test results are in. They should be ready now, I'll be back." The doctor murmured, leaving the room. None of what he said mattered to me, the only thing that came through clear was that I might be pregnant.

All that ran through my mind was that if I was in fact pregnant, my career as a stage actress and dancer might come to an end. What about Cat On A Hot Tin Roof? What about everything that I've worked so hard at? How could I be...pregnant? Nick and I were so careful...how...how could this happen?

"Isla." Nick murmured. I began breathing faster and my vision started to blur, I could feel myself getting lightheaded and my knees starting to buckle. The last thing I remember is Nick holding me and calling for a nurse.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken me so long to update, but I've been working hard on finishing another story of mine. And it's finished! You should check out No Church In The Wild