The Kids From Yesterday

Poolsides

Image

The night wasn't a total disaster, Nick and I stuck together the whole night and sipped champagne. The party ended somewhat early, so William took us home mostly sober. Nick and I fell asleep quite fast. The next morning Wills and Emily woke us up and told us to come out and have breakfast by the pool with some friends.

"What time is it?" Nick groaned after they shut the door and left.

I lifted my head and squinted at the clock. "9:00 am."

"That's so early." He murmured into the pillow.

I sat up and threw the blankets off myself and then crawled onto his back, kissing his bare shoulder. "Come on, we might as well get up. I'm gonna shower first."

His head then perked up, "Can I join you?"

I smirked and walked into the bathroom, "There's room for two."

Later after our...shower, I put on a baggy sweater and tossed my hair up in a messy bun before we went outside to the back. "Look who decided to finally join us." Emily laughed, sitting next to Wills on a beach chair.

I then realized that Zachary was here too, with Gena, and that black-haired guy, and two others. Nick took a seat on one of the chairs and I sat with him.

"Good morning everyone." I greeted them.

"Isla, Nick. You met Zacky and his girl last night, I'd like you to meet Matt; Emily's cousin, and Johnny, and you sort of met Brian last night. They're all in a band together." Will introduced us.

"It's nice to meet you." I nodded.

"What band is it again? You guys look familiar." Nick furrowed his brow.

"Avenged Sevenfold, we're from around here." Matt smiled.

"You're from The Strokes, right?" Johnny asked Nick.

Nick laughed and nodded, "Yes sir, I am."

"That's awesome, I love your guys' music." Matt smiled.

"So, how long have you two been dating?" Gena asked.

Nick and I smiled at each other. "I don't think we'd call it dating anymore, we're in a relationship. We decided to call it that after the third year." Nick laughed

"But it'll be six years in October." I added.

"Wow, that's quite some time. How did you meet?" She smiled.

"It was in 2006, in New York. I was a student at the Actors Studio at the time, and I was at the Sparrow Tavern on 24th ave and 29th street on Astoria, and I was sitting at the bar with a friend, and behind the bar was a mirror and the whole night Nick and I kept making eye contact and at first I found it annoying, but he kept on flirting until finally at last call he came over and we started talking-"

He smiled at me, "And then I kissed her, and afterwards we walked around New York all night. And the rest was history."

"That's so romantic." Gena grinned, holding hands with Zacky.

I just smiled and kissed Nick on the cheek. I then looked at Will, "Wills, is there any coffee?"

"I would love one." Nick loudly sighed, dropping his head back.

"Yep, in the kitchen. There's a kettle inside too if you were wanting tea." William replied.

"Perfect." I sat up from the chair, and spoke to Nick, "I'll bring you a coffee when I get back." I then went into the kitchen and poured a cup of coffee for Nick, putting in a splash of milk and spoonful of sugar, mixing it. Then after, I filled the kettle with water and placed it on the stove.

I stood in front of the fridge looking at the pictures of Wills and Em, some group photos too. I smiled at an old one of Will and I on a fishing trip. The sound of a cup being set down on the counter made me turn to see who it was.

Zack stood there for a moment, watching me. He gave a half-smile and cleared his throat.

"Was yesterday awkward? Or was that just me?" He asked.

I smiled and gave a short laugh, "I thought I was the only one."

We went silent and watched each other. "I don't know how to act...or feel...it really shouldn't be awkward. It been nine years." I spoke.

He smiled, "You look so different, but still so...unchanged."

I blushed and shook my head, "Must be the New York influence." I shrugged my shoulders and kept on stirring the cup of coffee.

"How is New York?"

I thought for a moment and then smiled again, "It's great. I love it."

He nodded.

I cleared my throat and lightly laughed, "So, how long have you and Gena been going out?"

He didn't answer right away and my laughter died down.

"It'll be three years in December."

"Who knew that we'd end up seeing each other again, after nearly ten years." I chuckled.

Again he was silent, and that made things ten times more awkward. The kettle began whistling so I turned and took it off the stove. I took the cup I had prepared for myself and began pouring the water out. Then he finally spoke.

"I just wanted to forget you...but I knew I couldn't. You meant too much to me."

Silently I placed the kettle off to the side and took the two cups. "Nick is probably waiting. I'll be outside." I then walked past him to join the others outside.

When I had taken a seat with Nick, Will had started up. "Ile, we've all decided to go to Venice Beach today. You know, spend some time in the sun then later on hit up a bar on the boardwalk."

I looked past him, seeing Zack closing the sliding door and walking out toward everyone.

Looking back at Will, I just nodded. "That sounds great."
♠ ♠ ♠
Leave a comment and subscribe :)