His Venomous Lips

Quest.

Bobby was propped up and flirting shamelessly with a nurse who appeared more than disgruntled when we arrived. Smirking as she stormed off, he turned to meet my disapproving gaze.

“And here I thought you weren't an arsehole.” I stated, grinning despite myself.

“Like I said, I know when to behave myself. You look like the 'take-no-shit-from-anyone' type of person, who wants to mess around with someone like that?” Bobby laughed, not realising just how wrong he was about me.

“Bobby. If I had a gun in my hand and had a chance to shoot at the dickhead shooting at us, I wouldn't have done it. I take shit from everyone. But still, that doesn't mean you can misbehave around me.” I explained, laughing slightly at the end to lighten the situation. It didn't work. Two sets of eyes studied me, analysed everything about me.

“Do you really think that?” Sean queried almost shocked.

“Yes, why wouldn't I?”

“You didn't see yourself when you were talking to Jeb. He tried to cheat you and you were having none of it, you were kinda scary t' be honest.” Bobby laughed, grinning widely before his grin faltered and pain flashed across his face. At first I flailed about uselessly beside him as if I could ease his pain, but then I realised that it wasn't a physical pain but emotional. Even though I had a disagreement with Jeb it didn't mean he was a bad guy, well, he meant something to Bobby anyway. And now he was dead.

“I'm so sorry Bobby.” I whimpered, my voice cracking for the pain that he had to be feeling.

“It'll take some getting used to y'know?” He sniffed, a single tear strolling down his cheek. “He was like a dad to me y'know, always keeping me out of trouble. If only I'd realised what trouble he was getting into himself! We've clashed with those guys before over...”

“Rob!” Sean growled, eyes flashing furiously. Calmly Bobby met his gaze, an unspoken agreement passing between them before Bobby turned back to me, grabbing my hand and bringing me closer to him.

“Well yeah, we'd clashed with them before. But I didn't think they'd come back at us like this.” I squeezed his hand in what I hoped was reassurance, but my mind was elsewhere. What kind of trouble were they involved in for something like this to happen. Was it drugs? Money? Cars? All of them were plausible reasons and I wanted to ask but knew no answers would come my way. Sean was dead set on keeping me out of it. It was for my own safety he told me, but I wasn't too sure.

Glancing at both of the men in front of me, I noted how they were polar opposites. Sean was dark, mysterious and down right creepy and Bobby, well he was something else. His bright blond hair was as light as Jazz's, it just seemed to glow under the lights above him, his blue eyes, although dull with grief, were once alight with laughter and happiness and he had a great sense of humour from what I could tell, he was so open with what he was feeling that I didn't feel the need to question his every move. So it begged the question, how did two people so different from each other meet and get tangled in the same web of misfortune?

I was only vaguely aware of Sean leaving the room, leaving both myself and Bobby behind lost in our thoughts. I just couldn't keep my mind away from the puzzle before me. It was like I had the pieces but none of them fit, every time I picked up one piece and examined it thinking it clicked with another, I would come up faulty. Every time I thought I was getting somewhere, like when Sean blurted out his involvement, everything would come to a grinding halt. The words I wanted to be spoken sitting on the unwilling tongue of someone else. Maybe it would have been safer for me not to know anyway. But curious minds never rest.

“Bobby. Why did it happen?” I tried, my words appearing broken and fragile.

“I can't tell you that.” He uttered. “Look, Grace, I know you want answers but it's best to stop looking for them. What happened was horrible, I know, but I don't think you understand the risk of looking into these things! Jeb died as a result of knowing too much. If they catch this guy, there will be a court case, you'll have to stand and say your versions of events and then, bam! Your life will go back to how it was. If not, then there's no reason for you not to live your life now. Forget me. Forget Sean, just live your life how you were before.”

Suddenly I was tired. Mentally and physically exhausted.

“I don't think you realise what you're asking me to do Bobby. I can turn my back on you and Sean easily. No offence.” I added with a quick grin. “But to go on with my life pretending this didn't happen, or even remembering and not knowing why, that's going to torture me. Yeah, maybe I didn't know the guys that were killed, but I was there when they died. I was there when you were shot. I stood there and and lived what I thought would be the last moments of my life and quite frankly I would like to know the reason why something like this has happened! I'm involved now whether you like it or not.” Despite my determination and the power behind my words, Bobby stood strong, his blue orbs staring into mine unfaltering, communicating that he wasn't going to back down. “If you're not going to give me the answers I need then I'll look for them myself.” I snarled before ripping my hand from his.

“I beg that you don't go through with this Grace. Don't waste your life.” Bobby pleaded sitting forward and reaching towards me. Stepping back I levelled my gaze with his.

“Goodbye Robert. I hope that you have a quick recovery and that you stay safe.” Turning on my heel I marched out of the room and then out of the hospital, ignoring his calls behind me. I had no idea where Sean was, but it made it easier for me to leave. There was no doubt that I would cave to his demands, his intimidating demeanour winning over my stubborn nature every time.

I was on a mission, one that wasn't entirely planned out in my head. I knew that I was going to get answers but I had no idea where to start looking for them. But before I started hunting I needed my own house back. If Bobby was right then opening this jar of secrets would leave me in danger and I was less than willing to have my friends caught up in the same mess as me. So that meant heading to the police station and talking to Officer Fields about the return of my personal items.

It was two miles to the police station, not an extraordinary distance, but far enough. In the time it took to walk there, I thought about the woman Officer, the one that seemed to have taken an immediate dislike to me. Would it seem suspicious if I just walked in and demanded the return of my things? I didn't care if it did, I was innocent either way, but if she decided I was a bigger part in the whole thing than I was, would she keep an eye on me? I certainly hoped not. With her watching over me it would be a lot harder to get the answers which I needed... well, wanted.

But then... if someone was watching over me, then surely it would be safer to get answers. There were risks, sure. What if Bobby and Sean were the ones at fault, well, were also at fault. Then I could get them into trouble and locked away which isn't really the nicest way to re-pay those who had saved my life. I considered just dropping it, pushing everything to the blackest corner of my mind and forgetting all about the shooting and those who'd died, but I knew that I couldn't do it, part of me would always desire for the reason it happened. I was the one for answers. Always had been.

I sighed and decided that I would think more into it when I was home. Even if I decided to find what I wanted, it wouldn't happen overnight, I had plenty of time to think things over. But at that moment, I was out of time to think as the doors to the station were drawing ever closer. The building was like any other, the only thing distinguishing it from its neighbours was the dark blue 'Police Station' sign hanging above the door. Unlike the other buildings however, it seemed unwelcoming, probably due to the fact that I was dreading walking inside. What if it was the female Officer that greeted me? Would she act civil? Would I act civil? Not giving myself time to talk myself out of it, I strode into the building.

At the front desk was an older man with greying hair, he held a magazine in his hand and looked as though he wished he were anywhere but in that seat. A buzzing from an alarm set off by the door alerted him to my presence. Placing the magazine down, he straightened his tie and looked towards my advancing figure.

“Can I help you?” He asked, his expression implying he would rather do anything but.

“Is Officer Fields about?”

“I'll ring him and let him know that you're hear. Your name is?”

“Grace Bird.” I sighed wanting nothing more than to be out of here already.

I waited while he was on the phone, my fingers drumming impatiently on the desk in front of me. It reminded me of Sean and the way he would tap his fingers when irritated, it was the only sign he showed of losing his cool. I wondered if he knew that he did it. I wasn't about to tell him.

“He'll be right out, if you'd like to take a seat.” The man recited in his monotone voice while pointing to a set of chairs behind me. They didn't look very comfortable. In fact, the grey plastic reminded me of the chairs back at school, cheap and ugly. Sitting down, I shuffled about until I gave up on my comfort and glanced around at the walls instead. Posters alerted people to the dangers of drugs abuse and about the consequences of committing a crime and it did nothing to stop the burning for answers within me. Curiosity kills the cat, I reminded myself but a small and unhelpful voice piped up with – but satisfaction brought it back. Glaring at the offending posters, I decided to look straight at my shoes instead. They wouldn't bring any unwelcome thoughts.

“Miss Bird?” A familiar voice called. Looking up I met the quizzical but pleasant face of Officer Fields.

“Officer.” I smiled in greeting. “I'm only here to ask a quick question.” I explained. Fields waved his hand as a gesture to carry on. “Well, I only realised last night that I left my belongings at the garage, and it's stuff I need. My bag which had my purse and mobile in, and my house keys. Would I be able to get them back?”

His face rearrange from his puzzled expression to one that I couldn't really read. He stood and silently regarded me for a couple of moments before he grabbed his mobile from out of his pocket.

“I'll see what I can do. If you could just wait a moment.” He stayed in the room while he talked to, who I assumed, was the female Officer. The one sided conversation was more than frustrating to listen to, I could grasp neither head nor tail of what he was saying; sometimes he would hum in approval and others in dismissal and it didn't help me in the slightest to understand what was happening with my things. Finally he hung up and lifted the corners of his lips at me.

“Officer Holt will bring your things from the scene. They've already been examined, nothing needs to be held as evidence so you're free to take them all.” Field's revealed to my relief. However, as soon as his lips fell and he narrowed his eyes straight at me I knew there was something more to be said. “But Miss Bird, if you have any information you're holding back from us, then I implore that you let us know. It could be vital to the investigation.” Instantly the thought of it being an on-going war flooded my head, but I pushed it away and stared confidently into his eyes.

“I have nothing further to report, I thought I made that clear at the hospital.”

“You did. I should probably tell you now that we'll need to call you in some time later in the week to re-evaluate your statement. It's procedure, you're not in any trouble. It's just so we can compare for any irregularities and it also gives you a chance to tell us anything you didn't remember before.”
Nodding my head at his explanation, I gave him the dates and times I was available before he left through the locked door to the offices.

It was a relief to know that I could sleep in my own bed that night. Although I was previously concerned about staying alone, I hadn't realised just how horrible it would be to stay at someone else place. Jason was nice enough, but not being in my own home just reminded me of everything that had gone on, I needed normality to feel like myself again. But then, if I needed normality and if I wanted to forget about everything that had happened, why was I so hell-bent on getting answers? Groaning with frustration, I ran my hands continuously through my hair as if it would offer some sort of release. I was half convinced to just take Sean and Bobby's advice, just leave everything alone and move on. But I couldn't help it, it almost felt like I was missing something, as if something needed to be uncovered.

The memory of Sean's dark eyes and unnerving presence only managed to spur me on in my new found quest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Can someone please tell me if this is just rambling...