Loving You Is Fun

We're Having Such A Good Time Together, It's Only Just Begun...

“Hey, Alex? You free tonight?” I asked, walking down the hallway toward the player’s lot. We’d just had a fantastic game, beating Pittsburgh – our rivals – two nothing, so naturally we all wanted to celebrate. I was ready to go out with the guys, but I wanted Alex there with me.

“Sure thing! The usual place?” she asked, making me laugh.

“You bet – see you there,” I agreed, disconnecting the call and fishing for my keys in my pocket.

“Coots! You bringing Alex?” Brayden hollered from the door of his truck. You could tell he was a Canadian prairie kid – any of the guys around the city who drove trucks drove fancy ones – Brayden’s truck was about as country and rough-around-the-edges as it got, complete with a lift kit.

“Yeah, why?”

“Tell her to bring Leah with her!” was his snide reply, and I shrugged as I unlocked my car and got in. Usually wherever Alex went, Leah wasn’t far behind, and nagging at her. The girl needed to learn to loosen up a little bit, that’s for sure.

I stopped quickly at Claude and I’s apartment, stripping out of my dress clothes and throwing them in the general direction of the hamper before changing into a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Alex texted me to tell me that Leah was coming with her, but Leah would be driving. I knew what that meant – Alex was free to come home with me if things started heading that direction. The ride to the bar that the team frequented had me antsy; I hadn’t seen Alex in about two weeks, and I couldn’t wait.

We had an… interesting relationship. We weren’t dating, but we were almost kind of together, in a way. When we were both in town there wasn’t really other people, but when I was away on the road both of us got with other people, and it wasn’t a problem. It was the weirdest relationship I’d ever been in, but it was fun and simple, something that the both of us wanted and needed after our past relationships had blown up.

“Hey Sean! Good game – we were watching on TV while studying,” Alex had a wide grin for me as soon as she was in sight, and I couldn’t keep the smile from my face. This was the only bar that seemed to let in the odd minor – if they were associated with the team the bouncers always looked the other way. They all knew by now that Alex was close with a couple people on the team, so she wasn’t even ID’d anymore.

“Thanks – how’s finals going?” I asked as we walked towards the bar together. I knew without having to turn and look that the glare I could feel raising the hair at the back of my neck was from Leah. Leah and Alex were best friends, and very, very distantly related, but Leah didn’t quite understand how our relationship-thing worked.

“Ugh… did you have to bring that up?” she whined, before shooting the bartender an Academy Award-winning smile and asking for two beers. I raised an eyebrow when she turned back to me before taking another quick glance at the guy getting our drinks.

“Lay off it Sean, really?” she teased, and I shrugged.

“Hey, I’m gone a lot,” I acknowledged, and she huffed.

“Ouch – dude, I’m not checking somebody else while I’m with you, all right?” she rolled her eyes, and after we had our drinks I wrapped an arm around her shoulders.

“Good,” I whispered in her ear, feeling the shiver go down her spine. We walked back to where the rest of my teammates and her friend was, and as I went to sit down beside her Leah gave me a shove and took my place. Brayden nearly spit out his drink, and Claude shook his head, choosing not to say anything. It was no secret that Leah hated me; she thought I was ‘using’ her best friend.

“Why don’t you just stop it already?” she asked, and I just sighed and took a swig of my beer.

“Why can’t you just accept that we’re perfectly happy with how things are?” I asked in response. Her brow furrowed and I swear if she could have she would have tried to strangle me right then and there.

“Oh yeah, because every girl wants to know that their guy screws around on them,” she hissed. That one hurt a little bit – because that’s not how we looked at it. We had everything we wanted without the restrictions of it being a technical relationship. This way nobody got hurt, or had to be lonely when the other was gone, so it worked perfectly. It was fun and simple, just what we needed.

Not that I wouldn’t mind a real relationship with her – I knew Alex well enough to know that she would never do what Jess did to me. But she didn’t want the issues of a relationship, and to be honest I was sure she still wasn’t over Brent, but I was there to fill the void in a commitment free and safe way.

“Coots! Alex! Pool?” I laughed as I spotted Max walking in, James hot on his heels. It was a running thing for us – because Alex was incredible at it; and so far we hadn’t lost a game.

“You bet!” She agreed, eagerly tugging on my arm. We followed Max and James to the corner of the bar where a couple of pool tables stood. I offered up the dollar to play, because Alex had insisted upon paying last time.

It only took about ten minutes for the game to be severely one-sided, which let to a lot of complaining on Max and James’s parts. Alex just shrugged it off and teased them good naturedly, and when the game ended she denied them a rematch. I raised an eyebrow, but she just shrugged.

“I’m just not feeling a second game, okay?” she asked, doing her best to sound bratty as she crossed her arms over her chest. I raised an eyebrow, daring otherwise. I rushed at her and slung her over my shoulder, making her laugh and squeal at me.

“SEAN! PUT ME DOWN!” she demanded, but I just laughed at her and spun another circle.

“Please!” she begged, and finally I relented, putting her down. She looked a little woozy, and immediately I felt bad.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, yeah I’m fine,” she assured me, and leaned heavily on me as the four of us walked back towards the rest of our teammates.

“Sean, are you ready to go?” Alex asked me about a half-hour later. Danny raised an eyebrow while Claude and Brayden shot me shit-eating grins, obviously guessing as to what we would be doing back at the apartment alone.

“Sure, sounds good,” I nodded, and with that she took my hand and started leading me out of the bar. I wondered why she would wait until Leah had left to go get another drink before making an exit, but shrugged it off. She probably didn’t want the drama that leaving with me in her presence would cause.

“I’m sorry about Leah – she’s being a total bitch tonight,” she sighed once we were outside. I shrugged, wrapping an arm around her as I noticed she was shivering.

“It’s whatever – I mean, she’s just looking out for you,” I replied, and moved in to kiss her neck. Instead she moved away slightly, which confused me. This was why she’d wanted to leave, wasn’t it?

“I… sorry Sean, it’s just, I feel bad putting you through her shit all of the time. I like this – we have fun, and it’s easy, and neither of us are going to get hurt, you know?” she asked, those blue eyes looking up at me.

“Exactly, that’s why this works so good,” I agreed, and as she stared down the street felt unease in my stomach.

“Is it still working for you?” I quietly asked, and she nodded after a moment.

“Yeah, yeah it is,” she answered, a smile on her face. We decided to grab a cab, and I texted Claude to let him know my car was still at the club. He’d had my keys anyway, because I’d been drinking, so he’d be excited at the prospect of driving my baby around.

Once we were in the door things progressed as usual; we had hardly closed the door before our hands were roaming and our tongues were fighting for dominance. I’d carried her upstairs and to my room, both of us a little anxious – it had been a while since we’d been together.