Sequel: Vegas
Status: Sequel- Vegas- Up Now

Shameless

Chapter 38:

“What’re you yelling for?” He laughs.

“I..I thought you were someone else.” I shrugged.

He nodded and pulled me in for a hug. Ugh, he smelled so nice.

I heard the muffled sound of Alex calling me, so I motioned to Zack to wait while I turned around and walked into Alex’s room.

“What?” I groaned.

He sat up on his bed, his face flushed red, but not the good kind. He was pissed.

“Molly, tell me why.” He paused. “Tell me why my best friend looks like a kicked dog.”

Shit. No. Nope. I’m not doing this now. “I don’t know, ask him.” I spun on my heels and called Zack before bounding down the stairs, Jack standing by the door.

He really did look like a kicked dog.

“Hey, what’s wrong man?” Zack asked.

Jack simply shook his head. “Just waiting for Alex.”

Oh god. I felt so bad. I just wanted to hug him and tell him I was sorry and that I wasn’t really mad at him, but Zack. I don’t even know anymore.

***

It was our final soccer game today, me and Zack hadn’t spoke much since our movie date, and every time I saw Jack he still had that abandoned puppy look which made me want to cry, just knowing that it was my fault. Alex was still pissed at me, even more now, I guess Jack told him.

Vic hadn’t been anywhere in sight since our interaction, I guess his embarrassment got the better of him.

“Ready for this Alex?” Zack slapped my back.

“Nope.” I laughed.

“You’ll be fine.” He ran to change.

I sat on the bleachers, my face in my hands. Why couldn’t things run smoothly for once? If I prove myself today I’d get that scholarship. I don’t think I can though.

***

We finished the game 6-5, a close call, but we won. I didn’t realize I’d scored the winning goal until I was engulfed in sweaty arm patting me on the back.

The team sat on the bench, waiting for the announcement for scholarships after the game.

“Well guys, it’s been a great game.” The announcer droned on. “And I’m going to announce the names that have been selected for scholarships at their choice of school.”

The announcer began listing names, mostly from the other team. I heard Zack’s name and a few other guys from the team that I recognized, but when he called out Alex Gaskarth I realized it. Alex was getting the scholarship, not me. I needed to do something about this.

I stood up and walked straight into the field, up to the announcer.

“I have something to say.”