Status: First fic I've ever wrote idk be nice:(? Twitter: @briangayles

City of Fools

Prologue

I knew he’d come after me.
The wind whipped through my hair as I looked down at the world below me. 40 floors below me. His footsteps approached- I didn’t even bother turning around.
“What do you want from me Alex?”
He was only a few feet behind me. I could hear his panting breaths from running up here, I imagined the pained look on his face as he stumbled over his words.
“I want… I want it to.. I want this to….. You. I want you.”
“But you don’t.”
I turned to face him, my voice wavering between hurt and anger at the same pace as my mind.
“I don’t get it! I’m good for you. You’re good for me. Why can’t you just let something be for once? Why must you ruin it?”
“I don’t know.” His voice cracked. “I just… I don’t know.”
“That’s just it. You never do.”
He dropped to the floor, his eyes watery and lost. Here were his true colours; a scared boy that had lost his way, forgotten how to love in the midst of a battle with himself.
He looked up at me with pleading eyes.
“Please Tay,” He begged.
“I need you. You know I need you. Please stay.”
I shook my head, wavering. His words cut through me like daggers, my legs giving out as I collapsed next to him in defeat.
“You know I’ll always stay, Alex.”
He pulled me into him, my face turned into his chest as he rested his head on mine.
“But what’s the price?” I whispered, quietly enough that he wouldn’t hear.
“What comes next?”