Status: First fic I've ever wrote idk be nice:(? Twitter: @briangayles

City of Fools

You Found That Puzzle Piece

Talking to Alex was like jumping head first into a time warp. Words seemed to last forever yet ended far too soon. The world spun faster, a kaleidoscope of colours and dreams as I fell into a state of wonderment, in awe of the small piece of his mind he wanted to share.

Meetings at the coffee shop were becoming a regular thing; I’d walk straight over from work and he would arrive precisely a minute after I did, order his drink and, without something so simple as a greeting, begin telling me about the latest discoveries on the ongoing journey through his own head.
As astonishingly bizarre Alex was, he had never before caught me completely off guard. His thoughts were often things I had considered before, though he always found much more depth and had brighter perspective. Until this day, it had been easy.
It was a Wednesday; our fifth meeting- discounting the exchange in the therapist’s waiting room. He was idling, tossing his empty coffee cup back and forth between his hands.
“Where is this going?”
“Where is what going?”
Alex rolled his eyes, dropping the coffee cup and shuffling forward in his seat.
“This,” He gestured to the two of us consecutively. “It’s not the kind of question I’m fond of asking, but you make me feel funny. In the good way. I just want you to know that.”
I fought the smile threatening to expose itself.
“You’re usually better with words than this.”
“Yeah, well,” He messed with his hair nervously, shifting in his seat. “I don’t usually get like this. I don’t usually meet people that fit.”
My mask cracked as I broke out into a smile. “People that fit?”
Alex noted my expression and visibly relaxed, scooting closer to me.
“It’s a puzzle,” His eyes shone with excitement. “This whole thing. Life. It’s just a puzzle. You gotta find the right pieces.”
“Ah,” I intercepted. “I’ll agree to a point- but it’s more a game of Tetris. Strategy. All the pieces fit and you’re happy as a clam- but get one wrong, it starts building up and you’ve just got a mountain of bad things, and that’s pretty much impossible to get out of.”
“Well, I am pretty good at Tetris.”

Prior to taking the hint that we were overstaying our welcome at the coffee shop, the result of a debate on whether or not it was too cold to walk through the park meant we found ourselves at Alex’s apartment. The main room was neat and simple with a minimal colour scheme. I imagined it was a good place to achieve piece of mind. The far left wall was littered with framed family photos, though few of them featured Alex.
“Who are these people?”
Alex wandered over and pointed to the tall boy in the far left of the photo.
“That’s Jack. Roommate, best friend, lifeline. Whatever we call it now.”
I smiled, glad to know that Alex had a companion to fall back on when he needed it.
I let go of my musings toward Alex’s family life and followed him into a back room. This room was a completely different story.
“Yeah,” He cleared his throat awkwardly. “When stuff happens, I, uh, I take it out on the wall.”
I’ll say. The once-white wall was littered with cracks and holes, splattered with paint and glue and probably whatever Alex could get his hands on.
“It’s actually quite artistic.”
He raised a thick eyebrow at me and sat down on the edge of his bed.
“You never answered my question.”
“I am aware of that.”
He frowned slightly and tugged at my arm so I would sit next to him. “Answer it.”
“I think it will go where it goes. But I like where it seems to be going. And for the record, you make me feel funny too.”
A smile pulled at the corners of his mouth. “What kind of funny?”
“All kinds. The best kind.”
For a few seemingly everlasting seconds, his eyes pierced into mine, strumming a melody on my heartstrings.
He took my hand and intertwined our fingers.
“You see? There’s the puzzle. Perfect fit.”
“That’s a pretty easy puzzle.”
“Yeah… For now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
this took forever to write im not even sure why so im sorry if it sucks but yaaay ok cool leave comments etc etc love u