Status: First fic I've ever wrote idk be nice:(? Twitter: @briangayles

City of Fools

Cause A Scene Like You're Supposed To

“I’m going to take you out.”
I looked up, having momentarily zoned out. I was curled against Alex’s chest as he played with my hair.
“Huh?”
He laughed slightly. “You go there again?”
“Go where? I don’t…” I shook it off. “What were you saying?”
“We’re going out! I’m taking you out. I am asserting my manliness and taking you out somewhere fancy.”
“That is manly how?”
“It just is. Come on.” He stood up, pulling me up with him.
For a moment he just stopped and looked at me, before smiling and briefly pecking my lips.
“I like being able to do that.”

The official “first date” is generally considered a big thing in these kinds of situations- but, for Alex and I, it was kind of average. The fancy restaurants and expensive clothes- though I will admit I could get used to Alex in a suit- were simply a change of scene and not much else. At some points I felt uncomfortable with having so many people around us; these moments and exchanges were meant for us alone, and the possibility of them being overheard felt invasive. Still, I was with Alex, so naturally it was the best date I’d ever had.

Charming as he was; Alex walked me home.
“I do rather like you in a suit,” I commented when we reached my apartment.
“I rather like you in a dress,” He smirked. “Great legs.”
“Shut up,” I rolled my eyes, unlocking the door. “Coming in?”
“Ooh I’ve never been in your apartment before.”
“Don’t get too excited.”
The second I turned the light on I jumped back, locking eyes with the person sitting on the sofa. Alex’s arm instinctively wrapped around my waist.
“Taylor, where have you been?”
“Mom, what are you… I just… What?!”
“Who is this?” Her eyes darted to Alex suspiciously.
“I…” I sighed in defeat. “This is Alex.”
I turned to him; his eyes were full of concern.
“Yeah, you should go. Sorry.”
“Are you sure?” He seemed sceptical and worried, reluctant to go.
“Yeah, I’ll see you tomorrow.” He kissed my cheek before turning to leave.
“And Alex is?” She was staring at me expectantly.
“What is the matter with you? How did you even get in here? Why were you sitting in the dark? I just…”
She shook her head and continued to stare at me as though I had done something wrong.
“Who is Alex?”
“He’s Alex! Does it matter?” Frustrated tears threatened to spill from my eyes.
“Is he your boyfriend?” Her tone was stern and disappointed, like I was a teenager that had arrived home drunk and crying. I wasn’t going to surrender to it.
“I don’t know? I guess? What does it matter? Why are you here?!”
“Is it serious?”
I dropped down to the floor, leaning against the closed door, wishing Alex was still behind it.
“I suppose.” I’d calmed, unwilling to argue any further.
“Have you asked yourself the question?”
I stared daggers at her in warning. “Stop it.”
“Taylor.”
I breathed out, exasperated.
“Taylor, if this guy turned around right now and asked you to spend the rest of your life with him, what would you say?”
Pause.
I stood up, a sudden burst of confidence surging through me.
“Yes,” I breathed sharply. “Yes!” My voice grew louder as I found strength in coming to terms with my answer.
“Yes, in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat. I won’t give you the satisfaction of details. I don’t care what you think anymore; I don’t have to. This is over. Don’t be here when I get back.”
I stormed out, with only one thing on my mind.

I knocked timidly on his door, unsure of myself. The familiar feeling of Alex’s embrace welcomed me, stronger and more urgent than the last time this happened.
The difference being, this time; he caught me.
“You were right,” I whispered into his chest.
“I need you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
right so some parts of this chapter might not make much sense but its building up to something so youll get it later if you dont now idk ALSO im sorry theyre always so short omg but theyll get longer when stuff starts ~happening~ lol ok thanks for reading leave comments etc love u