If Happy Ever After Did Exist...

If Happy Ever After Did Exist...

2008
"Welcome to the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, Agent Williams." Nick Fury said in his deep voice. I met his... Well, eye, and gave my obligatory "thank you, sir" before taking my official badge, uniform, and standard in-ear communication device (which was basically a Bluetooth). "Now then, Agent. You'll be partnered up with one of our... More experienced agents. Would you like to meet him?" Fury said. I nodded, curiosity getting the best of me. "Yes, sir." I said.

I followed Director Fury down the hall of the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division (it was such a mouthful) Headquarters, to an office. The door had no name on it, but Fury yanked open the door. "Coulson." he barked. A man turned away from his computer, staring up at myself and Fury. "Yes, Director Fury?" the man called Coulson asked nervously. He was older, probably in his early forties, with brunette hair and striking blue eyes. "Phil, this is your new partner. Janey Williams, meet Phillip Coulson." Fury introduced. I nodded to the older man. I had just turned 28, but despite the fact that I was almost in my thirties, I had strong doubts that this man and I would get along very well.

Fury excused himself, and Phil nodded to a chair in front of his desk. "Have a seat, Williams." he said. Suddenly I felt as if I was in school, being reprimanded by the principal. I sat down obediently, setting my new belongings in my lap. Coulson was dressed in a black suit, white button-up shirt, and a plain black tie. All business. I could already feel that this partnership wouldn't work. I was too fun for a guy like this to work with me...it just wouldn't work out. “So, Williams, tell me about yourself.” Coulson said, staring at me from across his desk. His hands were clasped together, with his chin resting on them. “First of all, Janey, not Williams. I don’t like being called Williams. I’m a woman; I like to be addressed as such.” I said, leaning across the desk to stare at him. Phil raised an eyebrow, his lip slightly rising in the corner.

“Why not Jane? Why Janey?” he wondered. “Because my parents named me Janey.” I replied causally. Coulson locked his eyes onto mine, and we began a staring contest. “We’ve got a case tonight.” He said in an attempt to break my focus. “What sort of case?” I asked, not tearing my gaze away. “Tony Stark’s got an event tonight. Not sure if you’ve heard of him. He’s sort of a giant pain in the ass; refuses to meet with us. I think you’ll be a good buffer for him.” Finally, my eyes watered, and I blinked, causing Coulson to fight a chuckle. “Are you implying you want me to seduce him?” I coughed out. “I didn’t say that at all. That was your interpretation of what I did say.” Coulson argued.

I felt like Cinderella later that evening. Dressed in a tight, strapless black dress that squeezed everything in a way to be just flattering, I stared at my reflection in the mirror just inside my house. Flowing red hair, dark red lips, and green eyes done up with smoky makeup, stared back at me. A car was waiting outside, with Coulson at the wheel. One of the perks of the job was the gun strapped to my thigh, the knife in my high-heeled boots, and the Jaguar waiting outside for me. Coulson leaned on the horn, and I opened the door and flipped him off before locking my front door and walking down the stoop to the waiting car. I climbed into the passenger seat, dropping my clutch bag into my lap. “Remind me why I don’t get to drive this sexy thing?” I wondered, glancing over at my “partner” as he took off down the streets of Los Angeles. “You’re supposed to act like a woman.” Coulson retorted.

We reached the Walt Disney Concert Hall, a twenty minute distance, in an hour due to traffic. That hour was hell with Coulson, who spent most of the time questioning me about my hobbies. When we finally reached the event, our car was taken by valet, and we walked down the red carpet together, Coulson with his arm around my waist, and me trying to pretend that a man that could’ve babysat me was my boyfriend. As soon as we were near Stark, Coulson moved in to talk to him, pausing to turn to me. “Why don’t you get us some drinks, sweetie?” Coulson said. “Right away, Dad.” I said with a small giggle before turning to the bartender.

I glanced at Tony Stark out of the corner of my eye as I took the drinks for Coulson and I, and I swear my heart stopped. The billionaire genius owner of Stark Industries was even more attractive in person, and I bit my lip as I walked over to the pair of men that were talking. “Here you go! Oh, how rude of me, Mr. Stark, I should’ve thought to get you a drink. Take mine.” I offered, holding out my glass of champagne. “That’s okay. I don’t like to be handed things.” Stark said, looking down at the glass. He looked up at me, leaning his arm on the bar. “What are you doing with this old guy, pretty little thing like you?” he said, warming up immediately. His eyes locked on my cleavage, and I blushed.

“Actually, Tony, I’m not his date. I’m his partner. We’re from the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division.” I introduced myself. Tony raised an eyebrow, and I shrugged. “Long name, I know.” I joked lightly. “We’re here to discuss your escape, Stark. There are some sensitive things we need to talk about.” Coulson spoke up. I glared at my partner, and Stark grabbed my hand. “Let’s dance. None of this boring crap. I don’t do boring crap.” He responded, tugging me out onto the dance floor. I sent an apologetic look at Coulson, who sighed obviously and leaned against the bar, nursing his drink. Tony placed his hands on my waist, swaying to the music. “I don’t like your partner very much.” He whispered in my ear. I laughed quietly. “If it helps… I’m not so sure I like him either.” I replied.