Status: completed

Seemed So Far

Too Close For Comfort

I huffed out a sigh as the contents of the cardboard box came pouring out. Why was I so clumsy?

I was moving into a new house. A new home. In Arizona. Far, far away from New York. Yeah, I was really excited to be away from New York, but most of my family was on the East Coast and I was already missing them. I was moving into a beautiful home at the end of the round-about, in the suburbs. Arizona was just what I needed, the heat, the sunshine, everything about it made me love it. 

"Need some help?" A voice came from in front of me. I looked up and saw a boy, with light brown hair, and he was a little bit taller than me.

"That would be great, actually," I smiled. 

He helped me pick up the contents that fell out and put it back into the box, picking it up. I grabbed another box from the back of my small car, leading the boy into my new home.

"You can just set it down in the couch." He did as I said, I put the box down on the coffee table. 

He stuck out his hand, "I'm Kennedy."

"Marin," I smiled sweetly, shaking his hand.

"That's a cool name, never heard it before"

I looked down at my shoes, "Yeah, it's from Braveheart"

"Really?" I looked up at him and nodded. He smiled back.

"Do you have anymore boxes?"

"Just one more," I started heading back outside when he said, "Oh, it's alright, I got it." He walked past me out the door, I walked back over to the coffee table and started taking out the pictures in the box. I was setting a picture of me and my dad above the tv when Kennedy came back inside with the box.

"Thank you for helping me," I said, while he put the box by the staircase. 

"It's no big deal, I just saw you drop the box and it looked like you needed some help."

"Yeah I can be clumsy," I sighed.

"So where ya comin' from?"

"New York," I said.

"The city?"

"No, more upstate."

"Ah, that's pretty far. Why here?"

"I've always wanted to visit Arizona and I needed a change of scenery." There was no way I was telling him my real reasons for coming here, not yet. But I did have a feeling that we would hit it off and become best friends right away.

He nodded. "Do you need help unpacking?"

"Oh no, I'm okay for now." 

"Alright, I'll see you around then," he said, turning around to the door.

I waved to him, but he turned back around. 

"Hey, you wanna come out with me and my friends tonight? Get some drinks and stuff?"

"Oh, that's sound great. But, I'm not really much of a drinker.."

"That's alright, my friend Garrett isn't either."

"Okay, I'll go." I nodded

"Great! Um, I'll pick you up at 7? Hopefully you'll be done with unpacking though."

"I'll probably get most of it done, but I can finish it tomorrow," I shrugged.

"Alright, well i'll see you at 7." He smiled.

"See you at 7," I smiled back. He walked out and shut the door behind him. I smiled, at least I made one new friend here. Hopefully I'll make some more tonight.

I looked around me and groaned at the boxes. I hated unpacking.
♠ ♠ ♠
oh god, that was terrible. oh well. it's my first story and i've been thinking a lot about writing one from reading so many of them on here. BUT GO KENNEDY(:

yeah i used my name cause i didn't feel like thinking of one.