Status: completed

Seemed So Far

Untangle Me

We sat at the counter all day, only moving for lunch. We then moved to the couch in the living room. We sat at either sides of the couch, looking at each other. We laughed at each others stories. I told him about my mom and my old home. I missed it there, but I loved it here.

"Do you have any siblings?" He asked.

I looked down at my lap, I hoped he wouldn't ask that question.

"Two sisters. Well, half-sisters."

"What are they like?" He was curious and if he wanted to know something, he would sometimes push you to spill it.

"I wouldn't know," I sighed. "I haven't seen them since I was fourteen."

I looked up at his face, he looked sad. I bit at the inside of my cheek, waiting for him to say something.

"Why?"

I really didn't like talking about the whole situation but this was Garrett, and I wanted him to know everything.

"Um. Every other weekend, I would spend it with them at my dad's since he's their father too. I was the youngest. I was always blamed for things. I was always last. And they would get mad when I got things when I wanted them. I loved them, and they loved me. We were sisters by blood and friends by choice. And no one could tear us apart. When I was ten," I stopped, swallowing the lump in my throat that was building up. 

"You don't have to talk about it," Garrett said. I shook my head.

"When I was ten, my dad got into a motorcycle accident." Garrett's eyes went wide and they filled with sympathy. I breathed out, feeling the lump grow bigger. "It was pretty serious. He, um, cracked his skull open, and broke his ribs. He got two staples in his head, but they fell out and he had to get three more. When my sisters found out, their mother, who I loved like my own mother, went physco, she brainwashed her daughters into thinking that my dad lied about the accident." I felt a tear fall from my eye and I quickly wiped it away. Garrett got up and came closer but I stopped him and he sat back down. "The last time I saw them at that time, was before the accident. When we went to pick them up, my oldest sister said she didn't want to go. So we left without them and soon that became a routine. We stopped picking them up and they stopped talking to us. I was devastated. I had lost my best friends. And it was all because they didn't believe my dad got into an accident, when we had proof. Two years later, they want to see us again. The summer before I started seventh grade, I spent with them. I was so happy to have them back. I was always happy when I was with them. But when I started middle school, everyone said I was depressed. Anyways, one day, I'm sitting at my lunch table and all of the sudden, the guidence consuler needs me in her office. We get in her office and she tells me that my sister told her dean that I cut myself." I feel more tears fall and stopped Garrett again when he tries to come over. I needed to get this out. I never told anyone this before and he needed to know. "She calls my mom in and my mom's worried as fuck as to what the hell was going on. I told them, that I have never, not once, laid a knife on my skin and cut myself. October eighth, two thousand ten," I choke out, recalling the worst day of my life. "I get three text messages, from my sister. Wanna know what they said?" I didn't let him answer me. "They said that she hated me for turning on her and stabbing her in the back. She said that I wasn't her sister and that she never wanted to see me again. She called me horrid names that will never, ever leave my head. I fell asleep crying that night, I get woken up that night, from my mother crying in her bedroom." More tears. "I ask her what happened because she was scaring me shitless with her cries. I couldn't take it anymore, I had never heard her cry like that ever. She stops crying for a little and tells me something that I never ever want to hear again." I breathe out, trying to keep calm and I can only hold on for so long. Garrett's staring at me wide-eyed and worried. I continue. "She tells me, in her cries, that my grandmother passed away at 10." I choke out. Garrett couldn't talk it anymore, he gets up, ignoring me telling him to sit back down and hugs me tight. I cry into his chest when he tells me it's okay. I couldn't take it, I mean, I was happy I told him, because I needed to tell someone, to get it off my chest. 

I cry for at least an hour and a half. At some point I thought that Garrett had fallen asleep but when he started rocking me, I felt better. I stopped my cries, thankful that I hadn't put any mascara on. I would look terrible. I kept sniffing and couldn't stop shaking. I noticed that I was practically in his lap. He pulled me away and looked at me, wiping his soft thumbs under my eyes. I close my eyes for a moment and feel him kiss my forehead. 

"I'm sorry you had to see me like that." I sigh.

"I'm sorry you had to go threw that. And don't be sorry, you had to let it out." He gives me a soft smile.

I throw my arms around his neck and pulls him towards me in a hug, burying my face in his neck like he did to me this morning. He wrapped his arms around my waist.

I was really glad that I had Garrett right now. Cause if I was by myself, I'd be a wreck. Garrett was what I needed, I needed someone to care for once. I mean, I had that for the past week and a half. The guy were great friends and I wouldn't trade them for the world. But I needed someone close, you know?

I sniffed once more and we stayed like that for awhile, before he pulled away again. 

"Mac and cheese?" He asked.

I giggled. He knew how to make a girl happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
true story.