Status: completed

Seemed So Far

Terrible Things

The next day, Garrett and I spend it getting everything ready for my mom. 

We went grocery shopping, getting pasta and things so my mom could make it for the guys. I told the guys about dinner and they were excited. Garrett told me more about the tour and that we'd be leaving in a couple weeks. I was excited to be traveling with them, but I was even more excited when they told me they'd be touring with All Time Low and Mayday Parade. I would be on the road with the guys and two of my favorite bands. Nothing could compare to that. I was hoping that I would be able to share my story with All Time Low and become good friends with them. Garrett said they were really cool guys and that they would love me instantly. 

Once Thursday came, I was nervous. What if my mom didn't like the guys? What if she didn't like Garrett or the fact that I was with him? If she didn't, then I wouldn't know what to do.

I drove Garrett and I to the airport, tapping my foot and playing with my fingers. Garrett laughed and held my hand, I relaxed at his touch.

Ten minutes later and still waiting for my mom to come out of her gate, I finally saw her. I squealed, running and hugging her tight. It wasn't until I let her go, that I realized I was crying. I missed her so much.

"Hi sweetie," she smiled, wiping my cheeks.

"Hi mom." I linked arms with her and led her to where I left Garrett. 

"Mom, this is my boyfriend Garrett." I smiled, looking at him.

He stuck his hand out, "Nice to meet you ma'am"

She shook his hand, smiling in his direction. I could she it in her eyes, she already liked him.

We got in the car after getting her luggage and Garrett drove us back to my house. I sat in the back with her, laying my head on her shoulder.

"I got you the stuff for pasta tonight," I smiled. I knew she would be in the mood to make the perfect dinner.

"I'm a little tired from the flight sweetie, I'll just tell you how to make it"

I looked up at her. She was always in the mood to make something, even when she was tired. I nodded anyway.

We arrived at the house and she went straight to the guest room, saying she'd take a nap.

"She's never done that before. She always cooked even when she was tired." I told Garrett while we sat in the kitchen.

"Well she did have a long flight"

I nodded, not fully convinced. 

An hour later, she came out to help me with dinner. Garrett set the table and let the guys inside when they came. 

Mom and I finished dinner and we put the food out on the table. The guys came and sat down, saying it smelled delicious. I sat in between my mom and Garrett. He rubbed light circles on my thigh throughout dinner. My mom asked what each of the boys did and she smiled when they told her they were in a band.

"That was so good," Pat called out. My mom smiled, and patted Pats hand.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it Hun"

We cleaned up and the guys said their goodbyes, giving my mom and I kisses on the cheeks.

"Marin, sweetie, join me outside"

My eyebrows knitted together and i looked at Garrett, he shrugged and I followed my mom outside on the back porch and sat down on the porch swing.

"What's up mom?"

"Just wanted to talk to you sweetie," she smiled, playing with my hair.

"Those boys are very sweet, especially that Garrett boy. I can tell he really likes you"

I blushed, "Yeah, they're a crazy bunch, but I love 'em. And Garrett's a great guy." I played with my fingers in my lap.

"So you like it here?"

"I love it. Moving here was what I needed, the guys were the bonus."

"Mike called the other day," I frowned. Mike was my best friend from back home. I've known him since kindergarten, he was the reason I moved here. A few months before I came here, he stopped contacting me. I kept calling him for weeks and he finally answered saying he never wanted to talk to me again. I had no idea what I did to make him say that, but he just hung up before I could say anything. I moved here because everything in New York reminded me of him. 

"What did he say?"

"He said he missed you and that he was sorry."

I sighed. "He didn't even tell me what I did."

"He didn't tell me either when I asked."

"Well, tell him that I don't want to talk to him. I don't need him to apologize and hurt me again because that's all he does. And please don't tell him where I am."

"I won't sweetheart," she kissed my cheek.

I nodded, "There's one more thing," she sighed.

I straightened up and looked at her, waiting for her to continue.

She gave me a reassuring smile, "I did have another reason to come here. Although I did miss you very much." She kissed my forehead.

"Mom, what is it?" I swallowed, I was worried now and she was scaring me.

"Honey, there is no easy way to say this but," she breathed out and in again, "The doctor said I only have a few weeks left." 

I stopped breathing. She what?

"W-What do you mean?"

"Sweetie, I have cancer," she whispered.

I felt my eyes water and a lump form in my throat. "What, no, you don't."

"I do," she nodded.

The tears were flowing freely now and she pulled me into her chest.

"H-How long?" I stuttered.

I felt her swallow, "That doesn't matter Hun."

I pulled away, "Yes it does!"

"Shh, it's okay," she pulled me back into her before answering. "Two weeks."

I cried even more. My mom was going to leave me in a week and then leave me forever in two weeks.

She shushed me, wiping my cheeks. 

I stopped crying and hour later, I could feel that my eyes were puffy. She went back inside and she wet to bed, kissing my forehead. I sniffed and wiped at my eyes and nose on my way to bed. 

When I walked in, Garrett was already sleeping. I closed my mouth and grabbed my pajamas, going in the bathroom to change. 

As I was brushing my hair, I thought about my mom. I wasn't going to see her ever again after two weeks. The last time I would see her, was in a casket.

I cried out at the thought, feeling  my eyes water and fall down my cheeks. I put my brush down on the counter and leaned against the wall, sliding down to the ground. I wrapped my arms around my knees and cried.

I looked up with watery eyes when I heard the bathroom door open.

"M-Marin? What's wrong?" Garrett looked worried and I could hear it in his voice.

I stood up and wrapped my arms around him, crying on his shoulder. I felt him wrap his arms securely around me and I cried even more. He picked me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist. I felt him walk to the bed and set me down, laying next to me.

I calmed down after a few minutes. Garrett wiped under my eyes and kissed my forehead. 

"Can I ask what's wrong?"

"She's sick, she only has two weeks," I croaked.

Garrett looked at me with wide eyes and I nodded, biting my quivering lip.

He pulled me into his chest and brushed my hair.

I didn't want to cry anymore.

"I'm so sorry," he mumbled against my forehead.

I didn't say anything before I fell asleep.