Status: Wish me luck

The Ballad of a Dove

1/1

Image

The sharp knife of a short life
Well, I've had just enough time


My name is Jessica Annabel Johnson. I am 17 years old. I lost a very close friend, and I'd like to tell you the story.

I remember going down to the river that morning, with my brothers. I brought flowers. The boys, Jack and Daniel, held the small boat over their head as we walked through the fields.

Ain't even grey, but she buries her baby

I remember when we lost him, Robert. I feel sorry for Robert's mother. I don't know how she can deal with his death. My own mother was dead. She died of a broken heart, after daddy died in the war. Robert drowned.

It was a hot summer day. Sweat dripped from the small gang of workers. They weren't working, not that day. It was too hot; they ran around causing mischief instead.

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses


Eventually one of the boys decided they should go swim at one of the sandbars. Too bad the rain had been unforgiving that year, causing a horrible undertow current. Robert wasn't the best swimmer to begin with. The boys decided to see who could swim to the other side of the river the fastest.

Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song


Robert got tired, and the undertow proved too strong for him. It grabbed him by the ankles and mercilessly pulled him down until his lungs slowly filled with the cool refreshing water.

I missed him, that's why I was going to the river.

Once we reached the cool grassy banks of the river I got in the boat with the flowers I'd picked and a book. I needed some time to be with to Robert, and this is how I liked to do it.

The boys pushed me off the bank.

"We'll be back at sunset, Jessibel."

I giggled as they ran back up to the river bank towards our house.

There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever
Who would have thought forever could be severed by
The sharp knife of a short life


Robert told me he loved me, and I loved him. I swear my heart almost ripped itself from my chest when I heard the news that summer.

I've never known the loving of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand


Days before I had been with him. He was chasing me through yard. Later that day he held my hand, and told me he'd be with me forever. He was so scared when he told me, so afraid I'd slap him and run off. Instead I brought my hand gently up to his cheek and let the same words fall from my lips.

I did love him. I still do.

I know he's waiting for me up there.

The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket
Save them for a time when you're really gonna need them, oh


I told all the housekeepers what I was going to do. They knew I'd be at the river.

I saw them all, before it happened, I saw Robert, my mother, my brothers.

I've had just enough time

They were waiting for me.

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done


I wonder if they'll listen to me now, I left my diary lying out on my bed.

A penny for my thoughts, oh no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singing


The sun was starting to set. My boat started to sink. I guess I forgot…

And I'll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger


The boys were coming back for me now. They ran down the river bank and I stepped out of the water to meet them. They looked worried at first, they calmed down after I smiled at them.

It got brighter as we ran up the river bank back to the house.

Jack and Daniel got sick... One had pneumonia and the other had the small pox... I guess I forgot.

The boys brought me up to my mother; she smiled when she saw me. She ran out of the house and pulled me into a tight hug.

"Jessica?"

I turned to see Robert. He pulled me into a loving embrace when I saw him.

It was glorious. We all hugged happily. We were happy. I was happy. I hadn’t been happy since last summer.

Funny, when you're dead how people start listening

My name is Jessica Annabel Johnson. I am 17 years old. I am dead. Thank you for listening to my story.
♠ ♠ ♠
One of my close friends drowned last summer. I thought about writing this story about ADTR All I want because of this:

"Still got something left to prove
It tends to keep things movin' while everyone around me says
My last days are looming overhead
But just what the hell do they think they know?

I keep my head above the water
While they drown in the undertow
Let's leave no words unspoken and save regrets for the broken
Will you even look back when you think of me?


But it was about the music video, and I couldn't do much with that one, even though they are one of my favorite bands. All I Want and If I Die Young were the two songs I listened to before the funeral that made me feel better. So here it is, I've been thinking about him a lot here lately and this made me feel better.

And it's my first contest so... wish me luck. :D