Status: i'm abroad right now, so it'll be difficult to upload chapters - i'm still writing them though :')

Crossroads

third-date kinda guy

"I haven't been to the cinema in ages." Hayley squinted in the darkness of the theatre - they were ridiculously early, and not even the adverts had started yet.

"Feels like you're in middle school, doesn't it?" he grinned beside her, arms laden with packets of popcorn and crisps. "But there's not much else to do here."

"I don't mind." Plucking the tickets stuffed into the front pocket of his leather jacket, she peered at what appeared to be a blank piece of paper. "What movie are we watching again? I can't see the writing."

"Well, it's halfway into December, so I chose some lovey christmas movie. Didn't want to scare you off with a horror movie."

"Please." She shoved his shoulder, "I'm not that easy to scare."

"Oh, I'm sure. I had to bargain my soul to get you to go on this date."

Hayley huffed, leaning back into the stiff red leather and crossing her arms over her chest.

"Well, Gotham's not exactly a normal city filled with normal people - I had known you for, what, ten minutes?"

"We're doing something pretty normal for Gotham. Sometimes this place can seem normal, if you don't look too deep into it."

"Really? Because I constantly live with the fear that I'm going to get blown up."

Kyle laughed at that, and after a few seconds of stunned silence she joined in. It felt a little forced, though, so she quickly cut it off. She sunk lower into her seat, fingers absentmindedly tugging on a piece of her hair - why did she have to force her laughter? She liked Kyle, she really did.

"Hey, are you alright?" Noticing her silence, Kyle inclined his head towards her, face creased with worry. His expression made her feel even worse - it felt like barbed wire, yanking and tugging against her chest. Her head felt heavy all of a sudden. Why couldn't she go on a normal date and be normal?

"I'm fine." she cleared her throat, straightening up and shooting him a half-hearted smile.

God, she knew exactly why. Because whenever she so much as smiled or laughed or actually felt something warm for Kyle, the mutilated face of her brother flashed across her mind's eye. Guilt pooled in her stomach, white-hot and scalding, whenever she tried to live when her brother was dead.

That wasn't fair.

What happened to him was tragic, and she was really fucking sad, but that didn't mean that she was going to let him ruin this. So with a more genuine smile she rested her hand on top of Kyle's and squeezed it comfortingly. "Really, I'm fine."

Kyle squeezed back. "Good. Because the adverts are starting."

Image

"That movie... was so shit." Hayley complained as they climbed the rickety steps to her apartment - well, he climbed enthustiastically while Hayley ambled a few steps behind him, quite out of breath.

"Aaaah, you weren't filled with the beautiful warmth of the Christmas spirit?"

"...No."

"This is your apartment. Why are you out of breath?" he remarked, glancing at her behind his shoulder with a smirk on his face.

Scowling, she flipped him her middle finger with one hand, the other clutching onto the banister for dear life. "I ate a lot more than you did - I have a stitch. I also drank a lot."

"Come on." He offered her his hand, and with a roll of her eyes she accepted, not expecting him to yank her violently up the last few steps. As soon as they reached her door she shoved him away, causing him to stumble back a few steps and nearly topple down the stairs.

"What the fuck?" she cried, pressing her free hand against her aching side. "You dick."

"I expected you to be a giggly drunk, you know? But your bitchiness is just more magnified with alcohol." Kyle brushed himself off, "And I liked the movie."

"I'm not saying it wasn't fun. It was a nice date. The movie, however, was awful.." She gestured madly as she spoke, as if she wanted to say so much more yet she couldn't seem to articulate it. She simply settled for; "It's A Wonderful Life? No it's not."

"You just admitted you had fun!"

"That's what you got from my rant?" A small giggle erupted from her lips as she fished her keys from her bag, "... I actually had a lot of fun. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

A deep silence pervaded the small hallway, with Kyle standing at the top of the stairs with an uncertain expression and Hayley struggling to slot her key into the door with a frustrated expression. She finally managed it, but unfortunately the tension in the air hadn't thinned now that it was open.

"I guess I better go." he exhaled heavily, unfolding his hands from behind his back and offering a little wave. "Goodbye, Hayley."

"You don't have to go." she blurted out, knowing that if she thought about it she probably wouldn't have the guts to say it. "You could stay for some coffee or whatever."

"Coffee?" his face broke into a smile and as he shook his head, Hayley could feel her cheeks burn with embarassment. "I know I said I'd have sex with you if you asked, but you're drunk, and I'm a little drunk too. As tempted as I am, I'm a third-date kinda guy."

"Alright." The next day, she would feel an overwhelming relief that he had refused, but right now her ego was slightly deflated and she was extremely confused. "...thank you?"

"You're welcome." he chuckled, running a slightly nervous hand through his hair. "I'm planning on a second date anyway."

"How will you contact me? You don't have my phone number." her brow furrowed and Kyle laughed again.

"I know where you work, don't I?"

"Sorry, sorry. Drunk. Ignore me." she waved her hands around dismissely, before turning around and entering her flat. "Goodbye, Kyle."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a short cutesy chapter, hence why i uploaded it so quickly. I just wanted to detail their relationship a little more. Next chapter things are going to flashforward a teensy bit (oh i don't know, maybe a week or two), and after that everything's going to shit.

Image
Image