Status: i'm abroad right now, so it'll be difficult to upload chapters - i'm still writing them though :')

Crossroads

that sounds shady

"Let me see you again."

Hayley stopped in her tracks, foot hovering over the edge of the sidewalk, about to step into the road. A wry smile played on her lips as she turned, eyebrows raised at the flustered young man.

"I hardly know you."

"So?"

"You could be a serial killer, or a rapist."

"I'm very nice. I won't have sex with you unless you ask."

He waggled his eyebrows and she grinned in response, feeling her heavy heart lighten slightly. She needed some fun in her life, didn't she? Especially after being stuck in this depressing strut for the past few weeks.

"Okay." Hayley exhaled, trying to colect her scattered thoughts. "Place and time?"

"Coronet Park at seven tomorrow?"

"That's sounds shady."

Kyle snickered, shifting his weight from foot to foot and staring contemplatively up at the grey sky. "Well, there's a cinema opposite. We can meet there if you want. Make it six, to ease your worried mind."

"Alright." Her lip quirked up into an amused smile. "Seeya later, stranger."

"Kyle Mathews. That's my full name." His smile widened, dimples indenting his cheeks and eyes brightening every so slightly.

How could she say no to that?

"Goodbye, Kyle." Hayley's nose scrunched up as an icy droplet of water splashed on her nose, a warning for the inevitable shower of rain that would follow.

Tugging her hood over her head, she whipped around and quickly hurried away, trying to escape the worst of the storm.

"We're watching a horror movie, just so you know."

He called out as she disappeared around the corner of the block - he could have sworn she said something in response, but everything was drowned out by the obnoxious blares of car horns as all the other citizens tried to rush home. The last thing he heard was her light laugh and the slap of her boots against wet concrete before he was left alone and unsure what to do.

Smile faltering, he ran a hand through his light brown hair, now slicked back and darkened with icy water. A resigned sigh. The dimples vanished as he reluctantly turned around and trudged away from the entrance of the cafe, heading towards the Narrows. Funny thing was, Hayley was heading there too, for a very similiar reason.

Image

"This is a death sentence."

The man slouched against the brick wall, shoulders hunched and eyes narrowed as he scrutinized the girl. Because really that was all she was to him - a little girl. He was in his late forties, matured and toughened by the crooked streets of Gotham. She was all bright eyes and rage and foolishness.

"I don't care."

He exhaled through his nose, tapped his foot with all the impatience of a small child. He didn't have time for this kid. It was fucking freezing out here, and the ratty brown coat he was wearing wasn't helping things much.

"Let me guess, he killed someone close to you. Join the fuckin' club." He crossed his arms over his chest, dark eyes glinting dangerously in the dull glow of the streetlamp.

Hayley scowled, quite petulantly. She was cold, too - if cold meant teetering on the verge of hypothermia. The umbrella she had clutched in her hand protected her from some of the weather's wrath, but her hands were still alabaster pale and trembling. She wanted to get this over and done with.

"Look, can you tell me or not?"

"Depends."

"I have money." She sighed, voice audibly strained. "Travis, please. I'm sure you've heard -"

Travis chuckled at that, leaning forward and snatching Hayley's free arm with a strong, quite beefy hand. She would have immediately scampered away, but fear and curiosity kept her rooted in place.

"I've heard? The whole fuckin' cities heard. Some mob girl is looking for the Joker." His grip loosened slightly, but his dark eyes didn't lose their intensity as he murmured; "Kid, take my advice. He's the eyes and ears of this city. Probably already knows you're looking for him."

Admittedly, that final sentence sent a chill scuttling down her spine. But she couldn't let him get to her.

Reaching into her inside pocket, she drew out a wad of notes, narrowed green eyes angry and obstinate.

"Is this enough to tell me where he is?"

Travis plucked the notes out of her hand - despite having surprisingly burly hands, he reminded her of a bird. Beady eyes and a hooked nose and nipping fingers. His eyes lazily skimmed the pile of notes, before greedily shoving it into his own pocket. "Alright. I don't know where he's at right now, but I know where he's relocating. West of the docks, Cicero Street. The abandoned building that used to be a hospital in the late 90's. You too young to remember that?"

"I'm twenty four. I was a teenager when it was open, alright? Stop patronizing me, and stop calling me a fucking kid."

"You're half my age, sweetheart. That makes you a kid." He cleared his throat, rolling his eyes at Hayley's vicious glare. "He'll be moving there in two weeks - and don't ask me how I know all this. I'll end up in a gutter with my legs sawed off."

"I wasn't going to."

"Good. No need to question things. Only gets you in trouble." He pushed himself off the wall, waving his hand dismissively and muttering 'yeah, yeah' when Hayley tried to thank him.

"I'm the one gettin' paid. Good luck, sweetheart."

"Hayley."

"Hayley, then." He clucked his tongue, shoving his hands into his pockets. Hayley followed suit, burying her face in the collar of her coat and beginning to head home.

"Seeya later." She muttered, just loudly enough for him to hear.

"Probably not."

"You're really negative, you know?" Hayley lifted her head up, irritated.

"Wait 'till you're my age, and you're still living in Gotham. You'll be one pessimistic fucker."

Travis snorted, turning his back to her and ambling down the road without a care in the world, despite the fact he was getting soaked to the skin.

Hayley shrugged.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is a plot-kicker, and isn't the best I've written, but jesus I want to get to some Joker! It is a Joker fic after all. There's only so much I can take of being gradual. He should become a more permanent part of the story in two or three chapters. ;)

Oh and we've nearly reached 1000 views and we're on 89 recs! That's amazing, thank you guys. Some Kyle and Hayley gifs because honestly I ship them more than Joker/Hayley at this point.

Image
Image