Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Why So Serious?

The Joker washed off his makeup and came back, sprawling himself next to me on the bed. He flicked the TV on and sat watching it for a bit. It was actually normal. He wasn’t giggling, I wasn’t handcuffed, there were no dead people. We could’ve been two friends just hanging out.

Eventually he sighed and rolled over on his back, looking at me. “You, uh, do you get bored, Quinnie? When I leave you?” I wasn’t sure if this was a trick question, so I glanced over at him. He watched me calmly, twisting a strand of green hair around one crooked finger.

I cleared my throat, but of course my voice was still gravelly. “Uh, yeah. I do.” “I could give ya some books or somethin’. Leave the TV on.” “T-Thanks.” I stuttered. He was quiet for a moment.

“I was bored a lot, as a kid. My, uh, my dad, he was a big dude. Drunk a lot. Didn’t like noise. Whenever I did something to annoy him, he’d hit me, leave me, ah, locked in a closet for a few hour. I’d get so bored I’d, er, I’d start cutting myself on the splinters, just to watch my blood make patterns in the floor.” I stared at him, feeling a little sick. What sort of person would do that to a child?

The Joker just grinned and stood, clapping his hands together. “But Daddy’s gone now! And, ha!, I’m still around to cause mayhem!” He bent down to my level and held my eyes. “Quinn, I, ah, I think you’ve been good enough that we don’t need these anymore.” He rattled the handcuffs.

“How bout I let you sleep on the couch tonight and you don’t try to escape?” “I won’t try to escape.” I lied, swearing to myself that I would try to run as soon as he was asleep. The Joker gave me an huge smile and kissed my scars. I was getting used to that. “Good,” he purred.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Joker: You wanna know how I got these scars? My father, was a drinker, and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not. One. Bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me and says, "Why so serious?" Comes at me with the knife. "WHY SO SERIOUS?" He sticks the blade in my mouth... "Let's put a smile on that face." And...