Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Victim

Of course, I was ashamed of myself when I woke up. I scrambled from his lap and dusted myself off, feeling sick and knowing I was blushing. “I didn’t mean to fall asleep on you! You, you tricked me! There’s nothing...I don’t like you!”

I was lucky he didn’t hit me. The Joker just watched me with calm eyes. “Why’re you so upset?” he asked. “I just fell asleep in the arms of a madman!” His mood changed so quickly I had no time to prepare when he stood up and leaped for me, using my hair to hold me against him.

The Joker held a knife to my throat, his eyes blazing. “I am NOT a madman, girl. Watch what you say.” I nodded, feeling the knife slice my skin a little. We stood like that until he relaxed, stepping from me and putting the knife away. My legs couldn’t support me, so I slid to the floor.

“I...I...” “Shut up.” He snapped. I bit my lip and nodded. It appeared I’d hit a nerve. He turned the TV on and watched it intently, playing with a knife again. I wondered if he even noticed it anymore. Some people habitually bite their nails. The Joker habitually threatens.

The news was on again. The reporter went over the usual disaster that is Gotham, and then the screen flashed to a picture of me. I looked grotesque. It was an old picture, and my scars were still fresh. The reporter talked about how I was missing, ‘presumed dead’ and The Joker’s invasion of my school. They asked for information of anyone saw me.

They even interviewed a few of my classmates. Everybody looked tired and scared, probably still in shock from The Joker. “She...uh, she was kinda weird. Nobody knew her much. I think she went with him willingly,” said one kid, a boy who’d been in my Chemistry class. “Nobody liked Quinn. She was scary. I think she wanted to go with The J...him,” said another girl.

Even my teachers chipped in. “Yes, Quinn was....an odd girl. She seemed angry. I wouldn’t be surprised if she wanted to join his side,” said my English teacher. Everyone I knew seemed to be falling over themselves to condemn me, like they always had.

When I came back to school after the accident, people saw my scars and thought of one thing-The Joker. There were rumors started that I was his girlfriend, and he had given me the scars, or that I had become obsessed with him and done it to myself. And now the rumors were being spread throughout Gotham.

My lower lip started shaking, and my eyes got hot. Even here they could hurt me. The bed moved as The Joker leaned over to me. “According to, ha!, these folks, you must like me more than I,ha!, thought.” He said.

“Is, uh, that why you got so angry at me for holding ya? Afraid they might be, hehe, right?” “You can’t like someone you’ve only known for a few days, and if they’ve kidnapped you.” I snapped. “It’s been six days, Quinnie.” I turned and stared at him. “Six?” Joker laughed and kissed my scars like I’d done something special.

“You, ha!, you slept for, eh, more than a day when I, haha, had to move ya.” “You mean when you drugged me.” He nodded cheerfully. “Yep.” I leaned my head against my knees and groaned. “Fuck.” He patted my shoulder.

“Don’t be so down, Quinnie. How but a smile?” I gave him a forced smile. “There’s a good girl. Look, I’ll bring you outside. Give ya some fresh air. Maybe then it’ll be better?” Before I could say anything he had me by the arm and was pulling me out the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Experienced prosecutors and others familiar with victim behavior, however, understand that victims have individual responses to trauma that are often counter-intuitive to public expectations.