Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Victimized

When we got back there were cops up the street. More than usual for the Narrows, where it’s dangerous for cops of all kinds. I felt Joker’s hand tense in mine, but he just strolled to the back of the apartment and broke in.

I could hear faintly from outside, “Joker. This is the police. Come out with your hands up.” He threw his head back and laughed hysterically. “They....they...ha! They have the wrong building! Stupid....oh! Yes!” I giggled when I imagined how frustrated the cops would be when they realized they were shouting at the wrong building.

“C’mon, Quinnie. We gotta get out of here anyway.” We got up to the apartment and he grabbed the suitcase, leaving everything else behind. There wasn’t much anyway, just toiletries and the books he’d given me.

I was reluctant to leave them behind, but I figured he’d get me new ones. We left the building, skirted around the cops, and kept walking. I didn’t bother asking where we were going. I assumed he had somewhere to go.
♠ ♠ ♠
They are aware that some individuals are more prone to be picked upon, that some repeatedly get into trouble, and that some are more easily victimized than others.