Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

The Wolf

She came in on a breath of warm, sultry air. Waves of red hair bounced with every step, got caught in the vines that barely covered her breasts. I couldn’t believe a woman could be so tall. She had curves I could only dream of, and eyes the color of new leaves. She winked at me and smiled, pursing her full red lips.
“Hi there, Smiley.” “Smiley?” Joker stepped into the room and watched us. Poison Ivy turned to him, narrowing her eyes. She put a hand to my cheek and kept it there. The tips of her fingers were green. “Smiley. It suits her face,” she purred.
A vine snaked down her arm to wrap around my throat, tendrils brushing against my skin. Joker just huffed and slumped into a chair, his eyes never leaving her. I could tell they didn’t like each other.
“Where’s Scarecrow?” she asked as she sat next to him. The vine slid from my neck. “He’s a lot more fun to be around than you, Joker. For a clown, you’re not very funny.” A knife was instantly in his hands. “Careful, Ivy. I’m fully capable of pruning you.” She glared at him and was silent until Scarecrow walked in.

He took me by surprise. I was expecting the man I remembered from TV-with the hood on, needles dripping from his fingers and strapped across his chest. Instead, he was a guy only a few years older than me, wearing glasses and a slightly rumpled suit. His hair was messed up like he’d just gotten out of bed.
The only noticeable oddity was the way his eyes darted back and forth. Poison Ivy sighed. “You know, it’s more fun when we’re all in costume.” “I have a choice to conceal my other side, unlike you two,” he snapped, straightening his jacket. His eyes flicked to me. “Besides, Smiley over there isn’t dressed up.”

Joker groaned when Poison Ivy laughed triumphantly. “See? Smiley is perfect for her.” Scarecrow walked over and sat across from Joker, so I could only see his back. Poison Ivy yawned and stretched, pushing her boobs out. The back of Scarecrow’s neck turned red, which made me feel better. He’s human.
“Alright, Joker. What’s the plan?” she asked bluntly. “Is it Batman again?” Scarecrow said. “No...haha...nope. Not Batsy, not this time.” Joker spread his hands wide. “This is our city, right?” They shrugged. “Well, I mostly just like the Gardens,” Poison Ivy said, “and I figure Scarecrow’s into Arkham.”

Joker frowned. “Fine. Fine. Big, ah, parts of this city are ours.” “Yeah,” they agreed. “What if I told you someone is trying to take them away from us?” “Well, of course. The Bat Pack.” “No. Not the Bats. A ‘hero’ though. A new one. A new player in our little games,” he hissed. Neither of them spoke, but Poison Ivy’s plants rustled, showing her discomfort.

“Who?” “The Wolf. New guy, or girl, can’t tell. Tricky little bastard, good at, ha!, hiding. Thinks the city can be cleansed,” he told them. They both stiffened. “Lots of people getting hopeful, feeling safe, feeling brave. He got Penguin last week, Two-Face the week before. The guy likes to leave a mark, too. Pair of open jaws. And, haha, he or she’s been saying that we’re nothing, a couple of pathetic thugs. Says we’re next. Now, uh, don’t you feel threatened?” he asked.

Poison Ivy nodded, her plants swaying angrily, twining around her hair and body, onto the chair she sat on. Scarecrow suddenly had needles out, the tips glinting dangerously whenever he moved. I wondered where he’d got them, then realized he must be like Joker. They were probably concealed all around him.
“I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all,” Poison Ivy hissed, and the men nodded. “The Wolf needs to die. We deserve respect. The Bat Pack has always given respect, but this Wolf thinks to mock us? We can teach him what it takes to live in Gotham,” Scarecrow said flatly, running his fingers along the needles.

Joker just tipped his head back and laughed hysterically until they finally left. Scarecrow didn’t say anything to me, but Poison Ivy bent over and stroked her nails along my scars. “We’ll visit in a few weeks, Smiley. See you then.”

She sashayed out of the room and I noticed she was barefoot. Plants grew wherever her feet touched. I was left alone with Joker, watching him gasp for air as he lost control of his laughter.
It took Joker ten minutes to stop laughing. When he did he just sat there, grinning loosely at me. “She doesn’t really want you, Quinn,” he said finally. I glanced up at his fairly calm face. “Huh?”
“Ivy. She may give you, ha!, pet names, and be all nice and touchy, but you’re not special to her.”
He got out of the chair and knelt in front of me. “She, haha, she just wants to have another slave, Quinnie. And, and, she wants to steal ya from me. Cause ‘Mother Nature’ is a jealous bitch,” he hissed, stroking my scars. “You’re only special to me, alright? Only, ha!, you only matter to me!”

I nodded obediently and he grinned, flashing his molars. “Is The Wolf a real person?” I asked. I had been wondering. It would be just like him to lay a trip for two of his friendlier enemies. “Yes. The Wolf is real.”

He smiled madly and gripped my face in one hand, squeezing until my bones creaked. “And I will kill that little mutt, Quinn. Mark my words.” I nodded and he let me go. “I’m gonna be away for a little bit. Few days, a week, I dunno. Anyway, I left stuff for ya. Books. TV. Don’t miss me too much. And, ha!, don’t leave,” he told me. “Okay.” Joker kissed my scars and left.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Joker: With so much power at my fingertips, some might call me a "Control Freak." Others just a "Freak." - either works for me.