Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

***

Tom, the guy my mom was dating, was my first victim. He had grabbed my ass, sneering, “I like girls with scars. Why don’t you show me the rest of them?” I pushed his hand off and spun, hand on my knife. I discovered just how easy it is to kill that day, when I slit Tom’s throat and knelt over his body, laughing hysterically. I felt strong, powerful.
I’d done something to protect myself and gotten rid of a slime ball. Gotten rid of a threat. I giggled while I dragged him to my mother’s room. Let her pay for her neglect of me. Mom came home drunk, passed out on our front steps.
I carried her upstairs and wrapped her hand around the knife, then wiped my prints away. I left her sprawled beside him like trash.
Then I ran away. I found the places Joker had lived with me and slept there, one hand always on my knife. I ate from the trash or stole. I knew I had to hide. If the police didn’t believe my mother had killed Tom, they would be looking for me.
I was still happy. I was free, away from stupid, boring people. I was still looking for Joker, but I got nothing.
Nothing, that is, until a man showed up at my front door with a box. He handed it to me and left without saying a word. I was so excited I ripped the box to shreds trying to open it. Inside there was a horror novel titled, “It Came Through The Window”.
I giggled and held the book to my chest, then ran upstairs and threw the window wide open.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Joker: Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But, as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile.