Sequel: Smile for Me
Status: Finished :)

Give Me a Smile

Reunited

He came for me after that, tumbled through my window already laughing. My heart raced happily at just the sight of him. “Quinnie! You, ha!, got my book? Did ya like it?” I nodded. “Did you miss me?” I nodded.
His face hardened and he grinned, coming at me with a knife, pinning me against the wall. “Why, uh, why’d you leave me all alone? I, ha!, I thought we had SOMETHING good going on. Then you were gone. And I thought I made you happy,” he hissed into my ear. “You know I don’t like betrayal. So, haha!, I’m gonna have to kill you.”
He held the knife to my throat, but I managed to stop him, screaming, “No! I didn’t want to!” He lowered the knife. “Eh?” “Please, it was Batman, he found where I was and stole me. Clayface told. I’m sorry! I’ve looked for you every day.”

His face cleared up in an instant, and he grinned. I smiled back. “Ah, there’s that smile I’ve missed so much! It’s, ha!, all good, Quinnie. You’re mine again.” He kissed the scars on either side of my mouth and let me down. I nodded, pulling up my sleeves. “See? I left a scar for every day you weren’t with me.”
He examined my arm, eyes shining with glee. Then he started cackling, throwing his head back. “Why, why, Quinnie, I do believe I’ve made you as strange as I am!” I nodded, pleased by his compliment. “I killed my mom’s boyfriend and framed her, even.”
Joker laughed and laughed until he was shaking, holding my shoulder for support. Then he grabbed my chin, peering closer. “Why so serious? Give me a smile.” I grinned for him, feeling alive again. The Joker was back.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Joker: And now, folks, it's time for "Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money. And where is the Batman? HE'S AT HOME WASHING HIS TIGHTS!