Status: Keep in mind, I have a hectic life

Humans, Are Such Nasty Things

Gwendelyn Amunet Hotep

"Carlisle has been very kind to me. I just met him today but he bought me a bracelet. And I met his wife too. Her name is Esme. She brought cookies. I'm glad they were oatmeal cookies that didn't have the raisins in them," Nandaleah talked on. I sat where her doctor was Dr Cullen was sitting. I'm surprised that they're already on first name bases. I looked on the thin silver bracelet that was on the same hand as the ring I gave her that had a small amethyst crystal in it. I couldn't be too angry at the man who made her smile like this. But why did he care so early?

"Really?" I said not showing my suspicion, "I hope you thanked them."
"Yes!" she smiled. I love this little girl.

I reached in my bag and took out a piece of paper. I kept a copy of it just in case. I turned to Dr Cullen and gave him the paper.

"What's this?" He asked not unfolding it. I wanted to tell him, 'Then open it if you're so curious!' but I kept my anger in check.

"It's a list of all of Nandaleah's hospitalizations, injuries, durations and causes. It also contains her allergies, her likes and dislikes and what topics make her uncomfortable," I started, "She's also asthmatic and had two bad attacks. One last year and one when she was seven. In her gift baskets, take out the Ferrero Rocher chocolates. She doesn't like those. She doesn't like dark chocolate either. But leave in any Godiva and Ghiradelli she likes those. Um, what else? Oh and give her the ribbons on the gifts she receives, she likes to feel them. I gave the hospital a list too, but I wanted to directly give you one, Dr Cullen."

"Wow!" he said looking a little shocked, "you sure keep a close eye on your sister."
"That's my big sis for you," Nandaleah said holding my hands, "knows more about me than me."
"Well someone has to look out for you," I smiled, "has Father (her father of course) called you yet?"
"No, not yet," she looked a little sad. I hated seeing that, but I had to know what that bastard was up to.

"You said you were her legal guardian?" Dr Cullen asked.
"That's right Doctor,"
"Please, call me Carlsile. Oh I see, you are a participant in that new law."
"That's right," I said not paying him much mind.
"I see," he said making up his own ideas based on what I said.

The new law. Adolescens ille Libertatis. This literally means Liberated Adolescent. A new law passed which allows a child as young as fourteen to treated as a legal adult with limitation. For example, even though I am a legal adult, because I am sixteen, I still cannot enter clubs or smoke. Participants are charged as adults when a crime is committed by them. We can have credit card, a job (conditionally) a house, run a business, vote and if you were a Primoris, like me, you could adopt a child or become a legal guardian of one. There is however, a person called the Assanum who is set over you. This person checks in regularly and writes reports. My Assanum is Annette Piper.

I defied one of those rules though. I wasn't allowed a gun, yet I kept one for my own safety and who my adoptive father was. A senator. Many attempts to take my life was done in the past. Nandaleah more than I. But these threats were personal instead of political. That is one of the reasons I'm not public. Because of my eyes I would stand out too much and be identified easier. There is a rumour about me though. But apparently, I'm a Puerto Rican sex slave.

"Sister, did you mange to make friends today?" Nandaleah asked me.
"Funny you should mention that. I actually met Dr - Carlisle's - children today," I said still looking on my sister.
"Really? That's wonderful!" My sister smiled big, "It looks like we'll all be able to get along very well!"
"You've met them have you?" Carlisle said to me, "I think they like you. You seem like a very unique girl."
"Thanks," I said peacefully. I was always peaceful around my sister.

"If I may ask, the mutation you have is Alexandria's Genesis, right?" Carlisle asked me.
"You've done your homework," was my reply.
"Yes, I could tell by your eyes," he said.
"Sister has such beautiful eyes. I wish I wasn't blind so I could see them again." Nandaleah said sadly.
"Don't be sad! You'll see them again one day! And we'll go to the park together again and look on the roses. There's a little park here and it's really pretty," I said trying my best to make her smile again.

"I've done a little research on your mutation. And speaking of you eyes, you should have 20/20 vision. Why do you wear glasses?" Carlisle continued.
"You still have that?!" Nandaleah burst out before I could answer.
I laughed a little embarrassed.
"When I was a little better, my mother, father, Gwen and myself went to a fair in Arizona. I won a little glasses and gave it to Sister. Because she was bullied at her school because of her eyes, I told her that they wouldn't bother her with the glasses on. Of course it didn't work because they could still see her eyes, but she never took them off," Nandaleah explained, "I can't believe you STILL have them after all these years!"
"That means she must really care about you," Carlisle said as if our bond touched him. He's just like his kids.
I held my head high and acted as if I wasn't embarrassed. I'm sure though, that my face was flushed.

"I want to talk to you in private," I said to Carlisle, "I want to know more of my sister's condition."
"You worry so much," Nandaleah said making her natural blush darker.
"I see, come with me," Carlisle said understandingly.
"I'll be back soon. Call a nurse if you want company," I said caressing her cheek.

I was lead to his office. It was a nice snug place. He offered me a chair which I took. He sat in front of me. A mahogany desk separated us.

"You needn't worry about your sister so much, Gwendelyn. Nandaleah is a strong girl," Carlisle started.
"I know she is," I said reverting back to my usually hostility.
His mouth opened a little in slight surprise.
I narrowed my eyes at him. Then I bit my lip and tried to control my emotion.
His open mouth turned into a smile.

From this, I would say that he's the type of person who likes to control people because of their positions. Like now. If I wasn't courteous to him, he would be cruel to my sister and not put effort in making her better to spite me. I would say that that's the type of person he is. But I'd be wrong. He just doesn't give me that feeling.

********************************

"And she had a little cold earlier in the afternoon but nothing really serious. And I think that's about it," Carlisle concluded.
"Are you sure?" I continued, "She had to breathe filtered air for a while and remember her body is really weak so - "
"She's going to be fine," Carlisle said putting his cold hand into my warm ones, "you worry a lot."
"I know," I sighed and ran my fingers through my short hair. I was feeling really exhausted, "I just want her to be happy and well."
"Don't worry so much," Carlisle laughed. He looked like he was going to say something else but his phone interrupted, "Sorry, I need to take this."
"That's okay," I said stepping out of his office, "Nandaleah's probably waiting for me."

We'd spent almost an hour together talking. Treatment plans, surgeries, past maladies, diseases which she might have contracted, deficiencies in what ever nutrient, sudden transformation in brain and body cells. Most of these I've heard before. I know Nandaleah should be the one who is tired, but I hated seeing her like this. Crippled, blind, helpless, weak. It was all so stressful. I want her to be happy and well. I really do.

*****CARLISLE'S P.O.V*****

"Hello," Edward said over the phone.
"Yes, I met her," I anticipated what he would say.
"Aren't I suppose to be the mind-reader in this family?" He continued.
I chuckled because I heard Rosalie tell Edward to cut the crap and get on with it. Vampire senses are truly amazing.
"So what do you make of her?" Jasper said.
"I honestly don't know," I sighed.

This girl, Gwendelyn Bright, she honestly threw me for a loop. I barely heard her footsteps. I had to force my ears to hear her hum of a heart-beat. And no scent. And her attitude is very different than what I'm used to seeing by humans. Then again according to a story I heard in my human life, I wasn't sure if she was human.

"Carlisle you have to know!" Alice groaned desperately, "They want to kill her!"
"Well that kind of a big assumption don't you think Alice," I said, "Did you see that in a vision?"
"No! Because she can't see anything pertaining that little girl!" Rosalie snapped. She was getting thirsty.
"And Edward can barely read her mind! And Jasper is probably the only one who has somewhat of a hold over her! But that doesn't matter cause according to him, SHE CAN CONTROL HER EMOTION ALL BY HERSELF!" Rosalie continued.
"Now, now, let's try to calm down now," I said trying to make things a bit easier to understand.
"Just please tell us, is she a danger to us or not?" Edward asked. He seemed like he and Jasper were the only calm ones their.

"Emmet, what do you think about her?" I asked trying to buy time to think a little.
"WHAT HE THINKS ISN'T IMPORTANT!" Rosalie screeched.
"I think she'll be fun to have around. It'll be pretty damn boring if she died," Emmet said anyways which caused Rosalie to get more angry.
"Well going back to your initial question," I said realizing the damage I've done.
"Yes, please tell them that Gwen isn't dangerous to us!" Alice persisted.
"Is she?" Jasper asked very seriously.
"I.....don't.....think......so," I said unsure.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T THINK SO!" Obviously, this was Rosalie.
"Well um," I said not really knowing what to say.
"Carlisle, I understand how you feel. She confused me too on our first encounter," Edward said, "But we really need to know what's going on with her. We were hoping that you would have some info on people like her."
I sighed, "Let me tell you a story. The story of Alexandria Augustine."

*****GWENDELYN'S P.O.V*****

I was at home now. As always it was good to see my sister. I told her about today. She was happy I made friends. I was happy that she was happy.

Annette was here. She made dinner and left it for me on the stove. That woman knows damn well I hate pork chops and yet she still made it. Now this food and my money had to go to waste.

Annette Piper was the type of person who put too much on her plate then expect people to pity her or take on some of the load themselves. The type of person who hated being proved wrong and wanted everyone to depend on her and come to her for help. Then she takes advantage of it and holds it over you. She was a spiteful, arrogant woman who acted like she was kind and knew everything. I really hate her.

I made my way up to my room in the dark. I was planning to head to bed early tonight, so why turn on any lights at all? I striped and got in the shower. I looked on the markings those people gave me. The blue marking along the sides of my spine and then swirled on my shoulder blades. Then swirl again on the tips of my pelvis. The disgusting things they did to me makes my blood boil.

Gwendelyn Bright. Age sixteen. Born October 9. No that's not right. Gwendelyn Bright is my adoptive name. My real name is Gwendelyn Amunet Hotep. Age, unknown. Born, sometime late summer or early autumn. Mother's name: Ain Hotep. Father's name: Unknown. Adoptive mother's name: Rachel Bright (nee Fay) Adoptive father's name: Orville Bright. Adoptive sister's name: Nandaleah Erika Bright.

I saw my reflection in the chrome shower-head. I stared at my eyes for a while. These beautiful purple eyes that everyone seemed to hate me for.

Alexandria's Genesis. A genetic mutation generally found in women of Euro-American descent The first know human appearance of Alexandria's Genesis was in London, England, when Alexandria Augustine came into this world on April 29 1329. At birth, she appeared to be normal, but soon after, her parents noticed that her eyes were changing from blue to purple. Naturally shocked at the transformation, they carried her to a priest, thinking that Alexandria had been cursed by a witch or possessed by demons.

When they got to the priest, he told them that the child was not under evil influence. He told them a story he had heard about a race of people who had purple eyes. These humans were thought to have come from Egypt after an enigmatic lavender light had flashed in a moonless night, thousands of years ago. Because of their fair skin and odd appearance, these humans were thought to be spirit people. Over time, the spirit people migrated to the north and were never heard of again. The priest told them to take care of the girl, saying that they blessed with a special child.

Alexandria grew into a beautiful young woman. She married and had four children who were all contractors of the mutation. She died at the age of 150 of natural causes. She never got sick.

I got out of the shower and went into my red silk bath-robe. I stood at the door that lead to the out-side world. I lived a little away from the town. On the outskirts in a forest like place that seemed more fairy tale to me. I stood out side leaning against the door. I inhaled the night air. The sweet, sharp scent of woods and flowers greeted me. I wish my sister was here to see this. Nandaleah loves these types of settings.

*****ALICE'S P.O.V*****

"And that's it," Carlisle said. He had just finished the story of Alexandria, the first person with the mutation. We couldn't talk at the hospital before. An emergency came up so when we finally got the chance to meet each other, it was here in the night at home. It's well past visiting hour so Gwen is at home now. Knowing her, she probably left as soon as the nurse came.

"And how do you know this?" Edward asked acting all serious.
"That particular priest happened to be my great-grandfather. He told me the story when I was a little boy. It was not long after my father and I moved to America as missionaries," Carlisle replied, "I actually did some research on Alexandria's Genesis. I have to admit that the contractors are barely humans themselves."
"What do you mean by that dear?" Esme, Carlisle wife and our kind adoptive mother, said.
"The characteristics of this mutation is very strange. Not just the eyes but many other things," Carlisle started, going into full doctor mode, "http://www.outpost-daria.com/fanfic/purple_eyes.html (Sorry guys and gals but I'm too lazy to type all of that off at the moment -_-. So the link is here in this and you can read about it and yep.)"
"Extraordinary indeed!" I spoke for the first time.
"Whatever," Rosalie flipped her hair. She wasn't taking much part in our conversation because she was still upset about today. She stood by the glass door and looked outside. She was probably sniffing out some prey for when she and and Emmet go hunting later.

"But those are just the human characteristics," Jasper urged Carlisle, "We need to know more."
"Maybe we just need to dip deeper into the known facts," Edward murmured, "Judging from that story, I don't think that Alexandria was human herself."
"What do you mean?" Emmet asked with true interest. Emmet was very intrigued by Gwen. (which pisses Rose off) We all were, even Esme who has only experienced her by word of mouth. But the fact that Emmet wasn't the only one interested in Gwen just seemed to add fuel to Rosalie's angry fire. Emmet saw this and just assumed it was because she was thirsty. The rest of us knew that she was jealous by nature, but Emmet didn't notice that. And why add a flaw to his lovely lover.

"I mean that doesn't this story seem strange to be a human's," Edward furrowed his brow, "Flash of light, moonless night."

When it seemed like the rest of us weren't getting it, Edward talked more faster and hysterical.

"Perfect vision, immune system that resist every known disease right now, lack of menstruation in women, well-proportioned and developed body, shimmering, white skin," Edward rambled on.

Esme and Rosalie got a bit uncomfortable when Edward said 'lack of menstruation' because their inability to have children was a touchy topic for them. I suppose it would have been one for me too, but I have barely any recollection of my human life. Edward's idea seemed to dawn on them though after Jasper cleared the uncomfortable air.

"But women are fertile still in spite of tha -" Carlisle started, then he probably understood what Edward meant. Edward smiled at him and Carlisle shook his head and gave a 'no way in hell' look to Edward.

"Long life span," Edward and Carlisle concluded in unison. Jasper shook his head in understanding. He got what Edward was saying.

"What is it?" Emmet and I said anxious. We were kinda the slow ones in the family. We hated cryptic things.
"Long life span," Edward repeated.
"Perfect vision," Jasper said.
"Highly evolved immune system that's able to resist every disease," Carlisle grinned.
"Well developed and proportioned body," Esme urged.
"Lack of menstruation cycle," Rosalie grimaced to the glass door.
"White shimmering skin," I gasped as it dawned upon me, "But there's no way -!'
"FOR FUCK'S SAKE! SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME!" Emmet busted out.
"They think Gwen is a vampire," I told him.

Emmet barely had time to react when Rose said : "Speak of the devil and she shall come,"

"What is wrong Rose?" Esme said zooming over to Rosalie's side.
"Alice, where did you say Gwendelyn lived?" Rose turned to me for the first time.
"She didn't say," I replied, "Is something the matter?"
I went beside her and Esme. The boys and Carlisle followed suit.
"Tell me, what do you see beyond the trees," Rosalie said looking not at us, but at some unknown thing only her eyes could see.
"The pond," I had to angle myself to see it through the leaves.
"Correct. And beyond the pond is?" Rosalie continued.
"Is that a house?" Jasper turned his head.
"There was some construction going on," Esme pointed out, "Maybe it's done now."
"But the light are off," Emmet squinted.
"The fact that it's finished isn't an excuse for someone to live there," Edward changed his head position.
"There's the plumbing, painting, electricity...." Carlisle started.

"You're all missing the point!" Rosalie said so suddenly I had to jump a bit, "Someone IS living there. Look directly in front of the house and tell me who you see."

We all turned our head in the same direction and squinted. (Well all except Edward who found out what Rose was thinking by now.) It took me a while to realize who was there.

"Is that-?" I squinted harder for clarification.
"Couldn't be," Emmet said.
"Oh yes it could," Jasper nodded.
"Who is she?" Esme asked.
"That, my darling, is Gwendelyn Bright," Carlisle said.

"What's that little creature in front of her she's feeding?" I asked.
"A baby mountain lion," Rosalie laughed, "If we're lucky, the mother will come and bite her little head off."
♠ ♠ ♠
HI HI! Rosalie is so mean in this chapter, but she gets nicer! I actually do like Rose. She is so bad-ass. If I were to be in a fight, I would so have her on my side. So you find out I bit more on Gwen here. I may or may not reveal who 'those people are' in the next chapter. I'm preeeetttty damn drained though. I need to get past a few more chapters to get to THE main part of the book. So basically fillers. Any ideas guys and gals? (yeah sorry for that lazy part in the story, that was completely unorthodox -_-')

XOXO Kanon-sama >_<