Status: Just starting out

New Kid in Town

Chapter 4

Sasha just shook his head as him and Jared left the room, taking the elevator downstairs while carrying towels and umbrella. The beach was just a short walk down the block from the hotel, the sound of the waves crashing against the surf clearly audible. The tangy scent of sea air hung over them the closer they got to the beach, the beach itself a long expanse of white sand currently crowded with tanning bodies.

Sasha found an empty space and spread out the beach towels while Jared set up the umbrella. Jared adjusted the brim of his Blue Jays cap over his red hair and slathered on the sunscreen, placing sunglasses over his eyes. "I need all this stuff or else I'll turn red as a lobster and peel", he laughed.

"Lucky you then", he said dryly. Sasha watched as Jared went right into the water and started swimming. He sat under the umbrella and reached into his bag for a book as he began to read, not being familiar with the ocean here to want to go swimming. The beach was crowded with mostly families and children, the latter either busy making sand castles or splashing about in the water. A few teenagers in wetsuits surfed or bodyboarded while they tried to avoid swimmers, many of the adults dozing under their umbrellas.

Jared saw Sasha under the umbrella reading as he swam just past the waves, joined by a few others. The water was calm here except for a few small swells and warm, most of the others in the shallow area near the shore or sunning themselves. "I bet you can't swim towards the jetty faster than me", challenged a girl nearby. She was tanned and blond, wearing a sea-green bikini with the strong shoulders and lean physique of a swimmer.

"I can too, I can swim across the lake in my town. I'm Jared", he said.

"And I'm Cassie, Jared. It's a deal", she said as they shook hands.

Jared and Cassie then started swimming across the water towards the jetty, both of them very close in terms of speed. Jared was pleasantly surprised that Cassie was keeping right up with him, always liking a challenge. The jetty was barely a hundred yards away as they approached, both of them within strokes of each other. Cassie had pulled up and was now in the lead, Jared speeding up until they were even. Cassie managed to beat him by a stroke as they both rested against the rock, Jared helping her up as they found a seat on the ledge.

"Wow, you're really good", he said admiringly.

"Thanks, I'm on the swim team at UNC. You're not bad yourself", she teased.

"I can swim across the lake in my hometown, it's a big lake", he retorted as she just laughed.

Jared adjusted his position to get more comfortable. He noticed how the wet bikini clung to her slim figure perfectly, tiny drops of water on her tan skin and her hard nipples poking through the thin fabric of the top as he tried to ignore his suddenly growing arousal. "So Cassie, what are you doing in Myrtle Beach?", he asked.

"I'm here with my cousin Amelia, we're here for a week and then we go back to Carolina. What are you doing here?", she asked.

"I'm here with my friend Sasha, he was actually housesitting for my brother and we decided to come down here. I want to show him around, he's from Russia and he's never seen anything like this before", he laughed.

"Then I hope you and Sasha have a good time", she replied.

They got up from their seat and walked along the jetty towards the beach. Cassie almost tripped on a rock slippery with seaweed but Jared immediately caught her, easily carrying her in his arms as she clung to him with her arms around his neck. "Just hold on tight", he said.

Cassie felt her neck and face grow hot as Jared effortlessly carried her over to the beach before setting her down. Jared was disappointed when he let her go but was surprised at how tall she was, being just a few inches shorter than his 6'3. "Yeah, I'm tall", she said dryly.

"I like tall girls", he chuckled.

"Cassie, where were you?", asked a young woman who came over to them. She was about 5'7 and curvy with short curly dark brown hair and brown eyes, her blue bikini clinging to her ample bosom and generous hips.

"I'm fine, Amy. Jared, this is my cousin Amelia. Amy, this is Jared", she said as they shook hands.

"Nice to meet you, Jared. This is why I don't swim, I'll never get the chance to be rescued by a hunky red-haired guy", she teased.

"Nah, I just didn't want her to fall on the rocks, miss", he replied, his cheeks growing warm with embarrassment.

"Call me Amy, you are too cute", she teased.

Jared suddenly felt bold. "Uh, can I have your number?", he asked.

"Okay, just let me get mine and I'll put it in the contacts", said Cassie as they walked back to the blanket. Cassie opened her purse and took out her Iphone as Jared added her number to the contacts. "Okay, I'll call you later and maybe we can hook up", she said as he waved goodbye and went back to his own blanket.