Crash

Gone

He was supposed to be meeting me for lunch 20 minutes ago but he’s running late, like usual. It’s a beautiful day so I got us an outdoor table at our favorite restaurant. I’m facing the road so I can see every car that passes. I could hear his little Porsche in the distance. I smile to myself. I see the truck coming from the corner of my eye, it’s not stopping.

“Spencer!” I scream. It’s no use. He can’t hear me. My life is about to be ripped apart and there isn’t a thing I can do about it.

The next few moments are in slow motion. The truck flies through its red light and intersection and T-bones the little Porsche on its passenger side. Flip. One. Two. Three. Crash. I close my eyes. The sound of twisting metal and shattering glass fill my eardrums. My stomach drops. My heart breaks. “No.” I say almost in a whisper.

I open my eyes. The Porsche is on its roof. Twisted, everything is twisted. Everything goes blurry. I can hear people screaming. Someone is calling 911. I run towards the wreckage. I can hear the sirens in the distance.

He’s upside down, blood dripping from his head. Eyes closed. I reach out with a shaky hand to feel for his pulse. It’s there, but barely. People crowd around.
I kneel down by the car “Spencer. Baby?” No response.

A fireman pulls me up while they work or getting him out. The paramedics lay him on the ground. “We’re losing him! Charge, 200! Clear!” No change. “Charge, 300! Clear!” Flat line….

I pull away from the fireman holding me back and push through the paramedics. I kneel down next to him. “NO! You don’t get to leave me. NO! No, no. I love you. I’m not finished yet! You have to come back to me. Spencer! Do not die! Do you understand me? I can’t live without you. If you die I die. Okay? I pick you. I choose you. You don’t get to die on me.” I collapse on his chest and break down. “No, Spence…Spencer. Please…please don’t leave me.” I manage to pull myself up off his chest. I stroke his cheek as silent tears run down my own. I lean down “I’m pregnant.”