Hazy Days

one;

I find images in the cracks in the pavement simply because there's nothing better to do. My eyes are aching, straining to see in the near darkness. I don't stop, though. I keep pacing, two fingers clutching a cigarette I haven't bothered to light yet. From the building right behind me I can feel the pitying stares of Jamie and his parents. I keep my head down.

"What in God's name are you doing?" I didn't notice his car pull up beside me. I settle into the passenger seat and keep my mouth shut. "Jesus," Joel looks me over once before turning the heat up. "You're freezing. Why didn't you wait inside, Victoria?"

"You told me you'd be there in five minutes. It's been twenty seven," I snuggle lower into the seat. He runs a hand through his hair. Cracks his knuckles. This is going to be a long night.

"So you're trying to teach me a lesson? Is that it? By standing outside in the dead of winter without even a proper coat on?" We stop at a red light and he turns his head to glare at me. I stare back. "Don't be stupid, Vic."

"And you," my voice rises. "Don't tell me one thing when you mean another." We glare at each other, unblinking, until the light turns green and the car behind us honks.

"Son of a bitch," Joel mutters, his eyes flicking to the rearview mirror. We don't talk for the rest of the way home. And that's fine with me. I'm not angry. I'm just tired. I feel dead. I am dead. On the inside and out.

Joel Bishop is killing me, and I don't even care.
♠ ♠ ♠
idk, man.