Status: hehe

The Grandest Ballet

I

I only knew her in passing, and through what others had said. But today Regina Palmer died. The nurses were said to be thankful, the doctors said to be worry-free. Regina was a special case. Most people said she was only playing but just seeing her you’d know something was wrong. Regina tested well, and there was nothing imbalanced in her brain, but Regina was special.

Sometimes she believed she was a dinosaur, other times a ghost, but most of all she thought of herself as a ballerina. Regina Palmer died a ballerina. I’ll always remember her that way. That crazy little messed up ballerina. She performed a brilliant grand jete right out the thin glass window. The janitors spent hours sweeping while the crazy people stared down the window.

Regina Palmer won’t be missed, except maybe by me. I don’t know what it is but I just understand her. Regina had messy brown hair and was thin as a rail. Her eyes were dark and sunken into her skull. Regina didn’t have friends. Regina sat by herself at lunch and never spoke a word. No one knew Regina, but everyone talked about her.

I was sleeping, when I heard her voice. A haunting raspy melody floating through my ears. “Syd. Syd.” The voice started out quietly. “Sydney!” Her head jumped at me, her teeth stained and dripping with blood, her eyes pouring the red liquid and her voice booming throughout the room. I jolted up in a sweat.

I knew Regina was gone, but it didn’t feel like the truth. I looked beside me, Rebecca Mais my roommate was fast asleep, and her snores provided truth. I flung my legs over the side of the bed. I heard Regina’s voice, in my head.

“Sydney.” Her voice rang. “Sydney you have to help me.” I stood, mindlessly walking to the bathroom. I flipped for the light switch but the light flickered, dim and then off. I swallowed.

“Sydney. Look in the mirror Sydney.” The voice was haunting, roaming in my skull. There was no lighting. I walked blindly to the sink, reaching my hand for the mirror.

In a sudden flash of light I saw her, poised behind me. In the mirror she stood behind me. My breathing grew faster, my chest heaving up and down. I moved my head slowly, to turn behind me.

“No, no Sydney. Don’t look.” She hissed and I turned my head back to the mirror.

She was almost translucent. Her face scratched as if glass had penetrated her skin.
Her hair tangled and matted against her red flesh. Her toothy smiled revealed blood on her lips. She wore a torn leotard and a black tutu. Her thin hand was rested on the shower curtain.

“Wh-wh-what do you want?” I shook; goose bumps crawled over my skin, popping up one by one, as the shifty light began to fade.

“Oh Sydney, you know what I want.” She hissed, the lights gave out as black ness surrounded me and I collapsed onto the floor, biting my palm to prevent me from screaming. I heard things falling. The light came back on; I had knocked over the soap.

Tears stung my eyes. I fumbled my hand on the counter and pushed myself up, my knees wobbling beneath me. I stared in front of me at the shower where Regina had just stood.
I let out a breath.

I turned around, slowly. Hesitation in the air as I face the mirror. I sobbed and covered my mouth. She was no longer in the mirror. Tears fell from my eyes. Along the length of the small glass was one word, scribbled neatly in blood. It dripped down, cascading into the sink.
The word printed across my mind, “Revenge”

I walked catatonically back to my bed, my heart pounding, my eyes wide. I stared at the ceiling.

“Sydney.” The voice came again. “Sydney. Are you going to help me?”

“Get out.” I whispered, my voice shaking.

“Well that’s not fair Sydney.”

“Why are you doing this to me?” I asked whispering.

“You understand me Sydney, we’re the same.”

“How are we the same?”

“We’re both killers Sydney.”