Status: hehe

The Grandest Ballet

II

My feet were moving under me, through the long corridors of Arcadia’s only mental institution. My mind was not mine anymore. My mind was Regina’s. I was walking quietly as if on my toes. The lights were off in the hall, but I knew where I was going. I turned, grandly.

My hand slammed against the wall, forcing down a button and the lights came on, illuminating the lunch-room. “Regina stop” I thought, but she just laughed as my body moved in foreign dance numbers. I knew where she was headed.

A small white door, with a barred window just ahead was her destination. In small silver font it said “Nurse” My hand balled into a fist and knocked against the door.

“Hmmm, guess no body’s home.” My mouth moved though I had no part of it. I jabbed my foot into the door, knocking it loudly off its hinges. It thudded against the linoleum. My fingers traced along the edges of the messy table. Then my hands opened knocking papers off the desks.

“No one wants to play!” My mouth screamed.

That’s when one of the overnight nurses ran down. Her hair tucked into a messy bun sitting under her clad hat. Her face was frozen in shock. She was still as Regina grabbed a knife off the table, my hand poised around it as if I knew what to do.

“Regina stop!” My brain yelled, and my mouth reiterated, I was back. But I was back too late. My arm was already swinging, the sharp end of the knife aimed at the nurse. I felt the resistance as the blade sunk into her neck. Blood spurted out and she gasped for air. Red liquid poured out of her mouth and she fell to her knees. A large pool molded around her. I held the knife, dripping, in my hand. I gasped. The woman was still, lying on the floor with her arms and legs flung around.

I swallowed, my body shaking.

“Good Sydney now keep going. We aren’t far now.”

“Stop Regina!” I begged staring at the lifeless woman, her eyes open and stung with terror.

“Stop Regina!” She mimicked.

“I’m not Regina, I’m Sydney!” I yelled back.

“That’s what you like to believe.” She hissed, giggling like a child.

My feet started walking again, then running. My heart was heavy. My throat sore. I burst through the empty hallways, bloody knife in hand. The halls were empty; I danced though them on my tip toes. In the distance I saw a light. The only room open this late was the lobby. I groaned. I closed my eyes. I knew in the lobby the nice woman who greeted everyone would be present.

“Regina, don’t do this.”

“Oh, we’re doing it Sydney.”

The lobby woman reached her head out to see what was going on. Her eyes opened, the same way the nurses had, with fear stung as she saw me in her dark pupils. The knife left me hand, spinning in perfect circles until it landed itself in the woman’s eye. She fell, falling out of her little cubby and onto the linoleum floor. She shook for a while, her hands trying to grab the knife. But her attempts failed and she too ceased moving.

I screamed, falling to the floor. Regina was gone. “Help! Please, Help!” I cried, rubbing my hand against my face, pulling away and seeing the smeared blood on my palms.

“Someone Help!”