Status: Sparatic updates.

Cursed

Chapter 1

Right before I reached the sliding glass doors leading into the dining room in back of the house, I transformed back to my human self. My body was exhausted from all the running so I supported myself on the side of the house to catch my breath and get enough strength to walk through the doors.

What I do for a living is different than any normal person. Only a certain number of people are chosen to do my job in the entire existence of the world. I just so happen to be one of them. Lucky me.

I’m a werewolf, to put it simply. And I know what you’re thinking. Here comes another pointless story that’s copying Twilight just to get some attention and to take other people’s ideas. But in fact, this adventure I’m about to embark you guys on is nothing like the Twilight series. There really is no such thing as vampires. I’m a werewolf, yes, but my purpose in life is not to defeat vampires. My purpose actually serves to defeat demons that Satan summons to come out into the world to posses, tempt, scare, and in some cases, even kill people. God created creatures like me to defeat those demons and to also help those lost souls in the world to get where they need to go, either to hell or heaven, depending on how they lived their life.

These poor souls are stuck here on earth. When most people die, there’s a portal they are supposed to enter that leads them to the dimension that takes them to their rightful place in the afterlife. The souls that are stuck on earth missed that portal they were supposed to enter, and therefore have to stay here until someone like me can help them move on. I need to be human in order to send these souls off through the portal. It requires a lot of energy use and concentration, and when I’m a werewolf I cannot meet those standards. I become a werewolf to defeat the demons, and that is the only way I can touch them. Technically, they cannot die, since they are already dead. What happens I have to do is tear their limbs off and anything else I can sink my teeth into, and once they have finally had enough of the torture, they let out this blood curdling scream and then burst into black dust. Some demons take longer to defeat than others, and some actually just scream and burst into dust just by looking at me.

See? I’m so intimidating that they cannot even stand to look at me.

I see dead people and demons all the time. Everywhere I go, there is someone or something I meet that I have to deal with. It is a very busy and demanding job, and especially at times when I just want to be alone, it does not help when I have a dead person staring at me waiting for me to send them through the portal to the afterlife. At times, it gets very annoying.

Tonight I did not fight off any demons or come in contact with any dead people. I was just chasing this one ‘special’ demon for the longest time until it finally outran me, which is quite difficult for any normal demon to do. This is why I call them ‘special,’ because they have more strength than the regular demon. It makes them very difficult to defeat, but nonetheless, they get defeated one way or another. Satan makes these demons especially for something, which I still have yet to find out, and unfortunately it is going to be through the hard way…

I mean, it’s not like I talk to God on a normal basis or anything. Well, verbally anyway. I am a very spiritual person, especially after seeing demons all the time. It makes me realize that I really do not want to spend all eternity with those freaks. Therefore, I am very close with God. He very rarely sends angels to give me messages from Him, and that is how I found out what I was supposed to do in life. An angel was sent to me and told me everything. It was hard to take in at first, but it is actually very cool being a wolf. You get this incredible eyesight that becomes very useful when you are running fast. I can run up to about 250 miles per hour, and that’s not even sprinting. That’s just my normal running speed. I have to sprint after those ‘special’ demons, and that takes me about 300 miles per hour, yet some are still able to outrun me. It’s very disappointing. Another awesome feature is that I am able to see every little detail of where I am running as if I were walking slowly. I have brilliant eyesight as a werewolf.

I also have incredible hearing. As a human, my hearing is normal, but as a wolf, it is better than any normal wolf’s hearing. I can hear a worm moving in the dirt a few miles away; I can hear a bird flapping its wings a few miles in the sky; I can hear a car coming down the road about ten minutes before it actually reaches me. Amazing, eh? I think so.

Once my breathing was back to normal, I walked through the sliding glass doors and into the dining room. Our whole dining area was surrounded by glass walls, completely exposing the forest in our back yard. It helps me to see if there is anything watching me and my brother. This is the only area in the house that has windows as walls.
Ignoring my growling stomach, I quickly sprinted into the living room and up the stairs, finally entering my bedroom. The most unfortunate thing about this whole werewolf thing is that whenever I transform back into my human self, I am butt naked. I always wonder why God couldn’t have just made it easier and have me transform back into the clothes that I was originally in before I became the werewolf, but I am still stuck being naked. It especially sucks when I am wearing a really cute outfit before I transform and then it all gets lost when I turn back…
Trying to quickly dress in the dark, I threw a random short sleeve shirt over my head from the floor before rummaging through my dresser drawer for some underwear. After that I looked around my room blindly for some shorts before finding some basketball ones in a pile of clothes in the corner.
My stomach growled at me again, reminding me of my awaiting dinner in the kitchen. I quietly ran back down the stairs and into the kitchen. I saw my dinner plate with tin foil covering it sitting atop the counter. I slowly walked over to it, took the tin foil off and threw it in the garbage, then put the plate in the microwave. I guess my brother heard me rustling around since he walked into the kitchen/dining area right then, casually leaning up against the wall next to the counter across from me and folded his arms over his chest.

“Hey tidbit. How was your hunting?” My brother has always called me ‘tidbit,’ even as kids. I have always been shorter and skinnier than him, therefore giving him an apparent need to nickname me ‘tidbit.’ He had black hair, just like me, that fell loosely to one side in front of his face, covering his eyebrows. His eyes were this pale blue that shocked you whenever you looked into them. Some people even find it hard to look straight into his eyes when they are talking to him. He is a few inches taller than me, which made him short for a guy since I am not very tall myself. I am a mere 5’3 and he is 5’7. My height does not help when you are fighting off a seven foot demon, and I sometimes wonder why God made me so short, although my fierceness does make up for lack of inches.

I heaved a heavy sigh. “One of those ‘special’ freaks outran me deep in the woods. It was bothering some man that was hiking there. I was able to run him off, but I missed him. Other than that, I didn’t get anything.” I turned around and looked inside the microwave, waiting impatiently for my food to be done.

“Oh, that sucks. I know those things bother you.” He sounded like he wasn’t really paying attention to the conversation.

“Yeah, ya think? They always get away from me and I feel like I’m failing at my job when they do.” Only a minute left to go.

“You’re not failing. Satan is just being an asshole by creating stronger demons. He wants you to feel discouraged. Don’t let him do that to you.” He said.

43 seconds left.

“Yeah, I know.”

40 seconds left.

It was suddenly quiet in the room as I waited the last remaining seconds for my food to finish. Before the microwave even beeped, I grabbed a fork and took the plate out of there. I set it on the counter and immediately started shoving food in my mouth. I stopped when I got to the third mouthful and realized that I hadn’t swallowed anything yet. I quickly swallowed and turned around to look at my brother behind me.

“What’s the matter with you tonight? You seem off.” I asked.

He simply shrugged and kept his gaze on the floor. “I feel off.”I shoved another forkful of food into my mouth.
“Just one of those nights?” I kept my attention on his face as I put more food in my mouth.

“Yeah.” He sighed. “I’m sorry, but sometimes I just can’t stop thinking about her.” He closed his eyes.

“I know. You don’t have to apologize. I’m probably going to take a shower and head off to bed after I finish eating so you can have your space.” I shoved more food in my mouth.

I knew my brother. Whenever he was having a bad night, he needed his space. It was the same with me. We were just the type of people who dealt with things better when we were alone.

You see, we were not always alone like this, though. We had parents at one point. Once I was born, the family seemed complete; they had two kids and a nice sized house; everything was perfect. Then, once it was finally revealed to me what I was supposed to do in life and why I was created, everything suddenly just started falling apart. Our dad went crazy because he couldn’t stand having a freak as a child. That’s what he called me: a freak. He left our ‘perfect’ family when I was five and my brother was eight. My brother took it harder than I did since he knew our father longer. And plus, there is always that special bond boys have with their fathers, and to just have him leave like that must have torn my poor brother apart. He was good with hiding his feelings as to not upset me or mom, but I can only imagine what he was going through.

After our dad left, our mother slowly started going crazy. I mean, I don’t blame her. Her daughter was a werewolf that was created to fight off demons and send the dead back to the afterlife, and her husband left her with two kids to take care of on her own. It must have been extremely hard for her.

Pretty soon, she was so out of it that the government sent her to a mental institution. By that time, I was sixteen and my brother was nineteen; he was able to live on his own. Instead of making me go to a foster home, he took me in and cared for me as my legal guardian. For that, I will be forever grateful. He is my hero, and there is nothing that can change that.

But he has these bad days like tonight, where he just continues to think of what things would be like if our dad stayed and our mother never went crazy. Sometimes I think about it, too, but I get a chance to get my mind off things by hunting. He can’t. All he can do is go to work, which is not exactly a calming feeling since he has to work with people all day when he just wants to be left alone. He is a dentist. Don’t get me wrong, he loves his job, but on days like these where he just wants to be left alone, it’s not all that great. I feel for him.

“No, you don’t have to, unless you’re really tired. I rented a movie while you were out, and I was hoping that we could watch it together.” He finally looked up and sent a small smile my way.

I smiled at him as best I could, what with all the food in my mouth.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 2,203