Honey Bee

Monday Morning

She may be young, but she only likes old things
That modern music it ain't to her taste.
She loves the natural light, captured in black and white.


***

"Hey guys," I spoke to the camera I held in my hand as I strolled down the streets of Vancouver. I was visiting a friend at the time and vlogged almost religiously whenever I had the chance. Getting paid through YouTube had its perks, and I was lucky enough to have the honor and the freedom to do so.

Learning how to make videos came with the territory -- I really wanted to be an actress, a comedian if you will, but I loved singing too. I could never choose just one as I was terribly indecisive. Some days I wanted to be a dancer or an ice skater even though I had only been ice skating once, every day was different, but it kept the videos to some variety.

"So as you may know I'm in Vancouver for the next week and I'm excited! It's a lot bigger than I expec--" and phwap. My face hit the back of someone who was much taller me and smelled like heaven.

"Oh God," I knew I drawled, turning off the camera and gripped the back of the man's arm sympathetically while simultaneously having the time to laugh at myself, "I'm so sorry!"

I smiled up at the man, realizing just who I ran into and my stomach jumped into my chest. It seemed that Tyler Seguin and I were headed into the same Starbucks, how convenient.

"I-- thank you," I stammered as he opened the door for me and slipped by him before turning around like the five foot, one inch firecracker I was. I had to admit as nervous as I was, I had a lot of gumption about myself when the opportunity came.

My eyes wandered over his face for a second just to be sure and nodded slightly before he could ask what the fuck I was looking at, nicely of course. "You know you're awfully brave showing your face around here so out in the open," I poked fun at him as we waited in the line that seemed like forever, yet not long enough.

Tyler's eyes shined brightly down at my own dark brown ones in amusement and nodded back almost mockingly, but I could tell it was lighthearted, "And you're not blending in well with that accent at all, Tex."

That made me laugh, I couldn't help but roll my eyes as I stuffed my camera into my purse, "South Carolina actually, if we're splitting hairs."

To me, my accent wasn't as bad as other people that I knew, but when you're in the most northern country in North America, it was definitely different than everyone else's.

"Oh, excuse me, your highness," Tyler bowed graciously before me and it made me giggle a little more, probably making myself look like an idiot more and more, but I couldn't help it! I curtsied my invisible dress and kind of cornered myself so I wasn't holding the line up, but was still open for converation.

If there was one thing I was bad at was holding a conversation. I swear, I could stay silent for days and not go crazy. It was unlike any other girl I had met, but Tyler hadn't seemed to mind.

There was a part of me, though, that knew opportunities to talk to athletes as humans rather than inspirations were rare and I had to take charge of it. "You're excused this once, but no really, aren't you kind of afraid of traveling without your boyfriend Brad or anything?" I smiled and that seemed to trigger a smile in my direction as well and it made my heart flutter all over again.

Just about the time I said that I caught the glimpse of a random dude giving Tyler narrowed eyes, which honestly was understandable. I myself was a Canucks fan and had friends there, the whole reason why I was there in the first place, other than the game. Things had happened and it sucked, but it was a fresh season, things had changed for some but not for most.

"Shit," he muttered, but amused and shrugged, "I don't know, you'll probably have to be my bodyguard, he seemed kind of tough."

"He was 40 and balding, I think you could take him," I said in a hushed voice and never mind the way he looked at me before stepping up to take my order.

I smiled politely at the barista, "Yes I'd like a grande regular, no cream or sugar, please."