Status: contest entry

Battling Love

one

As I entered the penthouse apartment, I knew something was off. I could smell a faint vanilla fragrance, a little bit of smoke, and I saw rose petals lining the hall.
“Babe?” my voice startled me as it sounded almost concerned. I didn’t think she was going to be home until Tuesday.
There was no response to my calling out to her, but I could hear a faint noise from deeper in the apartment. I dropped my keys in the dish by the door, slipped my shoes off, and headed to the kitchen.
In the all black appliance kitchen, I found a red thong I knew belonged to my girlfriend. Why it was in the kitchen, I wasn’t sure. I heard that noise again from what I could now realize to be the bedroom. After placing my gear bag down by the kitchen table, I started towards my room with the thong in my hand, intending to give her a teasing lecture about leaving revealing clothes lying around on days I come home, never knowing if I brought one of the guys with me.
What I found in my bedroom, more correctly, my bed, was disturbing. It was my girlfriend and my dad going at it in a very sexual way.
“Babe?” I let out in a loud and angry voice. This got both of their attentions and they looked in my way. Immediately, my father reached for the comforter to cover their bodies that were still together in the most intimate of ways. I sighed and rubbed a hand over my face. “Really Dad? You had to do this to me again?” He slowly untangled himself from her but stayed under the comforter.
Meanwhile, Lexi got up from the bed, in her naked glory, and walked right up to me. “What do you mean, again, babe?”
“He slept with Melissa too,” I let out with frustration. My dad slowly reached for his boxers on the edge of the bed opposite him and Lexi tried to touch my arm but I whirled away.
“What’s so wrong with this? Can’t we try something a little different? You know, you and me, with your dad?” she suggested with a tight smile.
“You are kidding me, right? You honestly think I would do that? That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. I want both of you to get dressed and get out of my apartment. Lexi, that means get all your girly shit too, because we just broke up.”
“But, Jonny, it was all his idea! He said you wouldn’t mind!” she tried to plead with me, but I wasn’t having it. I shook my head and stormed out of the room. I heard her huff and started pounding her feet as she walked all around my bedroom. The first to exit the bedroom and join me in the kitchen was my dad.
“Jon, you know I was the one to convince her. Don’t break up with her over something so petty, son. She’s a great gal,” he tried to reason with me.
“Seriously, Dad? Haven’t you realized how wrong it is for you to come over to MY house and sleep with MY girlfriends? Has it ever crossed your mind that once you do it with them, that I don’t ever want them that way again because I can always picture you doing it with her and the girls are always comparing the two of us? I don’t share girls with my brother and I most certainly will not share girls with you. Get out. I don’t want to see you until Christmas.”
“Sorry to disappoint you, son,” he slapped my shoulder, which caused me to wince, and left.
Slowly, I made my way to the freezer where I pulled my oversized ice pack out and went to sit on my couch. I knew Lexi was still in the bedroom, probably still gathering everything she had brought over in the last three weeks since we started this little cohabitation thing. But I wasn’t caring where or what she was doing. I knew she was getting ready to leave my life forever and so I let myself relax, with the ice pack working magic against my shoulder that had separated at the game the day before.
“I hope you and your lonely heart are happy. You were the best thing that ever happened to me, Jonathan Toews. I hope you never find love, you heartless asshole,” she screamed as she stormed out with all her shit. On her way out she slammed the front door, nearly rattling my 60” Flat Screen TV on the wall. I just ignored her.
I carefully moved to get my phone out of my front jean pocket and unlocked the touch screen. After seeing it light up, I quickly dialed ‘2’ and let it ring.
“Lyssa, I need your help,” I let out in a sigh. I knew she was quiet, but would eventually speak up to either tell me to fuck off or to say she’d be over shortly.
“I’m on my way, is it unlocked?” I grunted a yes and she ended the call. Twenty minutes later, I hear her stumble in. I don’t look in that direction because I know she’d yell at me.