Status: Is she real? Or is it all just a dream...

We Don't Talk About Anna

sometimes I hear voices.

Every time I went over to Katherine Harris’ house I found myself gravitating towards the left most upstairs hallway where I had first heard Anna. But each time, Tammy would pull me back saying, “No, no Louis. You can’t go down there.”

But I wanted to go down there. I needed to go down there.

I needed to know whom Anna was, because unlike Tammy tried to assure me, she wasn’t a ghost. I promise you, whoever Anna was, she was real.

But still, part of me wondered whether I was right in my assumptions, or simply thinking wishfully. The way that her voice had slipped under the door and against my ears was chilling. It didn’t sound human or even of this world. It was somewhat like, if she was a human that was; she hadn’t used her voice in quite some time. If that was the case, I wondered why. Was she not allowed out of her room? Was that the reason for the foreboding padlock on the handle?

I had to go back down that hallway. I had to subject myself to those chills that were sure to rush down my spine, causing my hair to stand straight up on its end. I had to get some answers. And Anna was going to give them to me.

It was late on a Wednesday evening when my mother dropped me off at the Harris’ house. We had just returned from our family cruise around the coast of Europe. I was dying to get to Katherine’s so that I could finally ask Anna the questions that had been swimming around in my head since I left.

“Now Louis you know the rules. Mind your manners and-”

“Be a help, not a hindrance.” I droned, rolling my eyes dramatically. “Mom, I got it! You always say that! Can I just go now?”

I started to stamp my feet on the ground, just wanting to go inside the house and rush upstairs.

“Louis, you’re going to need to learn to be patient sometimes. I swear that you have too much sass and impatience for a young child.” My mother shook her head and smiled as she turned and rapped on the brass knocker.

Behind the heavy cherry wood door I could hear Tammy’s soft footsteps padding across the ivory floor tiles. She swung open the door, a small smile plastered on her thin lips.

“So good to be seeing you again!” She nodded enthusiastically, ushering me inside and offering my mother another tight-lipped smile.

“Good to see you too Tammy! I’ll be by to pick him up in the morning.” My mother said as she leaned down and gave me a soft kiss on my forehead, “Be good Louis. Don’t cause any trouble or give any sass to sweet Mrs. Tammy.”

“Never mother, never.” I gave her a curt wink and she stood up, shaking her head of long dark brown hair like she always did when I made some snide remark. Although it got me in trouble more often than not, I knew that my mother loved my sassy attitude. I mean who wouldn’t?

“Katherine is upstairs in her room. You can sleep in the guest room which is in the left wing, first door on the right.” Tammy spouted off, closing and locking the door behind my mother.

“Thank you.” I smiled and ran up the stairs, taking two at a time because I knew them so well.

I reached the top of the stairs and looked hesitantly down the left wing hallway, always surprised at just how dark it was down there. Tonight, after Katherine fell asleep I would venture down there once more and talk with Anna.

I needed answers.

Image

I turned over in my bed; the bright red numbers glaring back at me from the digital clock on the nightstand. 3:23am. Katherine had to be asleep now.

I turned back the black Egyptian cotton sheets and fluffy duvet cover and climbed down from the bed, my feet making a slight thud against the hardwood floor. Quietly, I crept across the floor, making sure not to step on any squeaky floorboards so that I wouldn’t wake anyone.

Slowly, I opened the door and poked my head out, peering down the hallway towards Anna’s room. Darkness. I was always met by that impending doom that lingered in this part of the house. But I had to push those feelings out of my mind. I had to go to her.

I pushed the door open a little more and stepped out in the hall. Cautiously, I started to walk, stepping lightly in the middle of the long rug that ran down the length of the hallway, trying to muffle the sounds of my feet. The darkness seemed even more sinister at the end of the hall where Anna was, like something evil resided here.

I balled my hand into a fist and lightly knocked on the door, hoping that she would answer me and not tell me to leave like she had before.

“Mom?” she called out just as hoarsely and soft as the last time.

“No, it’s Louis.” This conversation was exactly the same as the last. I had to find a way to change it soon if I wanted a different outcome.

“Leav-”

“No please!” I begged, getting closer to the door so that she could hear me better. “I know it’s you Anna. I just want to talk.”

“I’m not allowed to talk to strangers.” She responded and I heard a thud on the other side of the door.

I crouched down and looked under the door. Faintly, I could see two white feet crossed over each other next to the crack in the door. She was sitting down now. Maybe this would be my chance to finally talk to her and get some answers.

“But I’m not a stranger.” I laughed lightly, sitting down Indian style in front of the small door. “I’m Louis Tomlinson from Doncaster. I come over and play with Katherine a lot, we go to school together.”

“Anna. My name is Anna.” She spoke softly, the words coming through slightly muffled because of her proximity to the door.

“Nice to meet you Anna.” I smiled, even though I knew she couldn’t see it. “Why are you locked up in here?”

She was silent for a while. It was at least a good six or seven minutes before she finally spoke.

“I’m not allowed to talk about that.” Her voice was harsh, laced with disdain and malice.

“But you’re in there all alone in the dark. There’s something wrong with that Anna.” I pleaded with her, wanting so badly to tell my mom that the Harris’ had locked up one of their children so cruelly.

“But I’m not alone Louis.” Her voice shook with more terror than I had ever known in my short life. “I keep hearing voices, they…they scare me.”

Voices? What was she talking about? I was scared for her.

“They tell me things, stories mostly about terrible things that happen. And every time I try to go to sleep, they whisper to me. Sometimes, I can see them. Just beady little red eyes that float around the room.”

“What kind of stories do they tell you Anna?” I asked, terrified of her answer.

“Would you like me to tell you one?”

My heart stopped and I felt a chill run down the center of my spine.

“She’s not real Louis. She’s one of us. Don’t listen to her.”

An eerie voice whispered directly into my ear, causing me to jump. I didn’t feel any warm breath or see anyone as I twisted my head around frantically.

But they couldn’t have been right. Anna had to be real.

“Yes, I would.” I responded, noticing how uneven my breathing had become.

It was quiet for a bit and I could hear her shifting around on the other side of the door before she cleared her throat and began.

“I’m at your bedroom window…”
♠ ♠ ♠
So...Anna.
What's your take on this guys?
Do you think she's real? ;)

It's probably twisted of me, but I love this. A lot.
And I just adore all of the feedback that I have gotten.
I was so scared to post this because it is so extremely offbeat, but you all seem to be welcoming it with open arms and I cannot thank you all enough for that! :)

I'll be updating more frequently...I hope :)
Love you all bunches!
Stay excellent!
-Meghan Xx