Status: Is she real? Or is it all just a dream...

We Don't Talk About Anna

don't look at her.

“If you ever decide to fly to the states, and get stuck with an over night lay over in the Leigh Valley International Airport in Pennsylvania do not drive to the closest town, Bethlehem. Please take my advice and drive down the highway to Allentown and forget all about the quaint little town of Bethlehem. But if you must stay the night, do not go to the Hotel Bethlehem. And whatever you do, do not accept the keys to room 627.

I got stuck in Leigh Valley one night due to a snowstorm on my way to a writer’s workshop in Montana. I didn’t want to spend the night curled up on the floor of the terminal, so I hailed a cab and took a ride to the nearest town, Bethlehem. I asked the driver to stop at the nearest hotel. And even after the terrified looks he gave me through the rearview window, I grabbed my bags and walked up the stony pathway to the Hotel Bethlehem. It was probably the scariest looking hotel that I had ever seen. But hey, it was better than the scratchy carpet on the airport floor, right?

I checked in and headed up the elevator to my room – 627. Exhausted from my long flight and stressful workday, I collapsed onto the dusty mattress and closed my eyes, letting my thoughts wonder into oblivion.

I was pulled back to reality by a loud thump that came from the room above mine. Someone must have just been having a little too much fun up there. I just hoped that their late night randevu would not keep me up all night.

I got up from the bed and stepped across the threshold into the bathroom. I flicked on the light and the florescent bulbs came on slowly, dimly lighting the small room. My eyes instantly flew to the side of the mirror where a message was written in red ink.

“Don’t look at her.”

I felt my heart beat a little quicker in my chest and I closed my eyes and shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts. As I opened my eyes again I swore that I saw a little girl standing behind me through the mirror. But when I turned around, she was gone.

I tried to calm my erratic breathing and quickened heartbeat by watching a romantic comedy that I was able to order from one of the paper view channels on the bedroom television set.

After the movie was over, and the thoughts of the little girl in the mirror were far from my mind, I flicked the lights off and curled underneath the covers.

As I lay in the now dark room, I noticed a thin stream of light coming from where the curtain didn't close completely. Annoyed, I got up to close it. I was almost at the window when I heard it:

"I can see into your bedroom."

The voice sent a chill down my spine. It was very quiet, and high pitched, like a child's. It was so soft, I wasn't sure I hadn't just imagined it. I shook my head and reached for the curtain.

"I know you can hear me. I'm at your bedroom window, and I know you can hear me."

I jumped back as a shadow crossed the stream of light coming into my room. I definitely hadn't imagined it that time. There was a voice, directly outside my window. Someone was out there, looking in. I jumped back into bed and pulled the covers up to my chin.

"I'm at your bedroom window... I know you can hear me. I can see in your bedroom. Are you listening to me? I know you can hear me. Come, take a look. I'm at your bedroom window..."

I was absolutely paralyzed from head to foot. The chilling voice kept taunting me, trying to get me to come to the window.

And just then I heard a thump from the upstairs tenants, followed by a fit of giggling and then some moans. I laughed a bit, and tried to calm down, telling myself that my mind was just playing tricks on me in the dark. I closed my eyes and laid down on my side, trying to fall into some much needed sleep.

“I’m still out here…come, look out your window.”

I bolted straight up out of the bed, my heart pounding in my ears. The voice was back. It kept whispering, repeating its repertoire of chilling phrases. Finally I flicked on the bedside lamp and reached over for the phone on the table and dialed the police.

Stammering and stuttering in fright, I managed to give them the information- where I was, what was wrong, please help, I'm scared. I didn't care if it was a prank at this point; my mind was reeling in terror. The officers assured me they'd be over shortly to see what the issue was; I thanked them and hung up the phone.

As soon as I did, silence descended over the room. It wasn't just that the voice stopped- no, utter silence filled the room. The air conditioner stopped, the street noises outside ceased, even the faint hum of electricity from the TV and lights went away. It pressed on my ears with a tangible heaviness that sent shivers through me.

Next to me, the phone rang. The caller ID told me that it was the police station, calling me back. Cautiously, I picked it up and answered.

"He-Hello?" I whispered.

"They aren't coming." The voice growled.

And then every light in the room went out, plunging the room into complete and total darkness.”

Image

I was shaking, I couldn’t help it. Anna’s story had chilled me to the core. If there were voices speaking to her, why would they tell her such disturbing things? And if she wasn’t real, why would she be telling me this story?

“Louis, are you still there?” her voice came out as a soft rasp, and she cleared her throat.

“I’m still here.” I responded. “Just a little scared, that’s all.”

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have told you.” She got quiet for quite some time again before she spoke. “I’m scared too. I don’t like being in here alone, in the dark. They tell me that makes me more vulnerable. I don’t want to hear them anymore Louis.”

“What if I brought you some light? Like a flashlight or something?” I asked, ideas floating around in my head as I talked.

“They don’t like the light.”

“It will make you safer Anna.” I told her, “I’ll bring you something tomorrow when I come back.”

“Thank you Louis.” Her voice was small, no longer raspy or hoarse. She sounded genuinely scared once more and my heart broke for her.

“And maybe once you have the light, I can see you under the door.” I smiled, wondering just what this girl must look like after being cooped up for so long. I imagined that she was a beautiful little thing, her voice sounded as just. And then, I would know if she was real, if I could see her true form, bathed in light underneath the door.

“Okay. But now you must get some sleep.” She said, a small hint of laughter hidden in her words. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See you tomorrow Anna.” I chortled, getting up from my place on the floor and rushing back down the hall. I slowly opened the door and crept across the floorboards back to my bed. I climbed under the covers and pulled them up so that they were resting just below my chin. I turned over onto my side and looked at the blaring red numbers on the digital clock. 5:34am.

Underneath the clock, I could see a piece of folded paper sticking out from one of the corners. I reached over and pulled it out, unfolding the paper in my hands.
My heart stopped beating in my chest.

“Don’t look at her.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Dun dun DUN.
What are your thought lovelies?
I'm dying to know :)

This one is dedicated to my dearest friend Erin.
Erin, you are beautiful and amazing and I love you with all of my heart.
Now guys, a favor to ask.
If you're the praying type, please pray for Erin. She's going through a lot right now and I love her to much to have anything bad happen to her. So please, like I said, if you're the type, pray for this sweet girl. I love her.

Love you all dearly!
Stay excellent!
-MeghanXx