Status: new; active

Shield Me From the Storms

Enter Joshua

The clashing of cleats against the checkered ball was the only sound across the field. I looked up to see half my team barely blocking, hanging back, or yelling at me to do something. This always drives me crazy. I'm not the only player on the team, but everyone else seems to think so
.
The ball was between the legs of a tall, blond boy from the opposite team. I dodged his main back up and sprinted towards him. Just as he brought his foot back, I kicked it up, bounced it on my knee, and turned to get to the opposite side of the field for hopefully the tie winning goal.

I heard my name screamed from the top of someone's lungs and smiled, knowing it was Sophia, my best friend. She was an eccentric person if not oddly out of place in this city. I chanced a glance up and blushed a deep red when I saw the huge sign with JOSH in pink and purple glitter. She noticed me looking and waved wildly.

"Woo! To josh!"

I couldn't help smiling, but when the ball was taken from me, I snapped back into the game with mean, competitive teeth.

I fought through my own team to save the game -they just stood there dumbfounded! Only centimeters away from the kid, the loud buzzer went off, indicating that we had lost. I slumped over, bracing myself on my knees to catch my breath.

Eventually, the other team was on their bus and Sophia and I were heading home. My duffle bag slapped against my leg as we walked and glitter topped Sophia's deep red hair.

"It was a good battle," Sophia encouraged, attempting to make me feel better. "Next time, right?" she beamed at me in the goofy way that she did and to be honest, it did make me feel better.

Sophia has been my best friend since year 3, our fathers being best friends in the military. Originally we're from America, but when Soph's dad retired from the services four years ago my family followed them to England.

"Can you believe school starts Monday?" Soph wines, looking over at the passing traffic before crossing the street.

"Dont remind me. I'll jump in front of a car," I responded, giving her a smile.

"At least it's senior year, right? One last year and then freedom!" She sang the last word, throwing her arms up.

Chuckling lowly, I shook my head. "Yeah. Freedom." I looked beyond, seeing my pale yellow house in the distance, wondering if my mom was still in her chair. Mom... I don't know if I can call her that anymore.

Noticing my sudden change in mood, Sophia touched my arm gently. "She isn't your shackle, Josh."
I nodded dismissively - hearing the words a thousand times, "I know." There was a long moment of silence. Finally we reached the drive to my house, which was fantastic because my legs were killing me.

"Hey," Sophia nudged me, pointing to our left. "Someone finally bought the old dump."

My eyes widened at the SOLD sign smack dab in the middle of the lawn across from mine. "Huh," I breathed. "Welcome to the big city," and saluted.

Soph giggled and we turned to enter my house.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the first chapter to an all new co write :) We are both very excited about this one and we hope you all love it too :3