Status: new; active

Shield Me From the Storms

First Base

“Yeah, thanks... maybe another time?”
I flinched and watched the retreating form of Dani that inexplicably reminded me of a dog running away with its tail between its legs. Ouch. The taste of rejection did not sit well on my tongue. Jeez. And I thought we were really hitting it off. Maybe my gaydar needs some repair.
I trudged over to Sophia, shoulders slumped. She frowned when she saw me, but didn't ask until we were outside of the school and in the safe environment of my car.
“What's with the frown, clown?”
“I asked Dani out for coffee.”
Her eyes practically bulged out of her head. “Really? Holy shit, Ivans!”
“He said no.” Shit, I hope I didn't ruin our friendship.
She instantly deflated. “Oh.” Her eyebrows furrowed. “I don't get it... he's totally into you.”
I gave her a look. “Apparently not.”
She scoffed disapprovingly. “Are you that oblivious? He so likes you. Have you seen the way he looks at you? Josh, the kid's got the hots for ya.”
I glared at her. “I wouldn't call it the 'hots'.”
“Honey, you'll be doing the deed faster than a rabbit can hop.”
I hit her shoulder. “Sophia!”
She burst into giggles. “Yeesh, Josh. Just kidding. You gotta admit though... you think he's hot.”
I rolled my eyes. “He's attractive, yes.”
Soph's gaze narrowed. “You are ridiculously stubborn.”
I shot her a grin. “Like a mule.”

“I have an idea!” Sang the sing song voice of the girl I've known all my life. Shit. This always ends up in a horrific finale.
“And what is that?” I glanced at her from my locker door, picking up my books.
“We can all go bowling!”
I almost spit out the coffee I just sipped. I shot her my best are-you-fucking-kidding-me look. “Bowling?”
“Why not? It's fun, I'm awesome at it, and maybe you can get to first base with Dani!”
My face took a turn for flabbergasted.
“First base with who?”
And now, horrified.
Dani came up behind Soph, his face etched in a pale illusion of confusion. For once in my life I'm stunned into silence. However, Sophia actually said something intelligent to save the day.
“First base with... bowling! We're all going bowling!”
Dani frowned, then looked at me, I shrugged, then back at Sophia. “I'm pretty sure bases are for baseball. But bowling? Is that even a sport?”
Sophia huffed defensively, hands on hips. “It is a sport, thank you very much.”
A soft giggle escaped his lips and I found my chest squeezing at the sound. Jeez. Soph had it all wrong. I'm tangled up in him.
“Alright. When are we going?”
Soph sent a quick glance at me then said, “Tomorrow night. 6 sharp. Josh can drive us.” She beamed.
My eyes rolled. “Glad to see I'm everyone's chauffeur.”
Ignored as usual, Soph linked arms with Dani and walked to our first class. At least he's still able to stand being around me. I sighed and followed them like the lost puppy I am.

At 6 sharp, I pulled up into a parking space in the nearly empty lot of the bowling alley. This place always gave me the creeps when I was a kid. Half working neon sign, creepy smokers hanging out in the corners, the stripper club next door... it was all very traumatizing.
Even now, as the three of us climb out of the car goosebumps rose on my dark skin. I ushered my friends inside, masking my uneasiness with excitement. Sophia was practically shaking in anticipation, the fringe on her knee length black skirt giving her away. She wore her red and black striped bowling shirt and a pair of white and red bowling shoes. Her long, red hair pulled back into a pony tail. Jeez. She'd gone all out. I felt under dressed in my simple jeans and hoodie. Hell, I look like a bum compared to Dani. He's dressed in a blue button up shirt that brings out his eyes and really fitted jeans that – let me tell you – brought out his shapely ass.
I blinked and shook my head of such thoughts. Bowling. We were only bowling. Knocking down pins.
Sophia got us a lane and we set up. I got us a pizza and a pitcher of pop, sipping at mine as Soph took the first bowl. Dani looked over at me, amusement in his eyes, however, I could still see a hint of wariness. Oh, God... I shouldn't have asked him out.
I heard a shriek of joy and looked over at the strike Sophia just landed.
“We are going to be destroyed,” Dani murmured, humour and dread in his voice.
I laughed. “Yes. Yes we are.”
“Come on, Joshy!” Sophia called, her grin practically breaking her face in half. “Get your black ass up here.”
Dani's cheeks turned pink at her choice of words. I glared at Sophia.
“You don't have to be racist,” I grumbled. Grabbing a ball, I placed my fingers in and rolled it down the aisle. It struck down 8. Not bad, Joshy, not bad. However, my pride evaporated when my next try missed the two pins left by a mile.
Sophia was a fit of giggles when I returned. “Finally! A sport... you suck... at,” she gasped out between bouts of laughter.
I narrowed my eyes. “Yeah? Well this black ass actually plays qualified sports, while your white one insists on playing leisure games.”
Dani giggled from across the table where he was choosing a ball to use. I smiled at the sound. Sophia met my gaze knowingly, her teasing finished.
When Dani was out of earshot, Sophia turned to me. “I know I've been making fun of you a lot, but I think you really got a chance here at something real... with Dani. He likes you, it's so obvious he likes you. Don't give up after one 'no', okay?”
I looked at her, surprised in the sudden mood shift. A smile turned up the corners of my mouth. “Yeah, Soph. I won't give up.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Jeez guys. I - we - apologize for the lack of updating on this story. We've both been uber busy, especially with end of the year school requirements taking up all our time. But thank you to those who have been patient. We're hoping to get this rolling again.
Comment :D