Status: I was unexpectedly inspired by this video, and formed the idea almost immediately. Expect quick updates!

Cat and Mau5

M0rning

Gerard didn’t particularly want to open his eyes; he was too comfortable. But light was beginning to peek through the blinds and gave him no choice. He had expected to feel a little confused when he woke up, but he found that there was no wondering where he was or how he’d come to be there. He knew he was in Frank’s apartment, in Frank’s bed and he didn’t feel weird about it.

He relented, squinting into the rapidly lightening bedroom and looked over at the other body sharing the sheets. They seemed to have rolled apart during the night and Gerard was lying on his back with Frank curled up beside him an arm’s reach away. He was unsurprised to find that Frank looked beautiful when he slept. He’d suspected as much. He smiled to himself, wondering how in the space of a few short hours Frank had gone from a stranger, to a fan, to a one night stand, to something far beyond that.

Reaching over to peek behind the blinds Gerard saw that it was pretty light out. He wondered how much time he had until his comm bleeped to wake him up. If he was lucky he’d have just enough time to wake Frank up with a surprise blowjob. He’d always wanted to do that to someone.

Shuffling up on the pillow a little further Gerard craned his head to catch sight of Frank’s electronic calendar that displayed the time in the corner.

His eyes bugged out. 7:37am. It fucking couldn’t be.

He practically fell out of bed and stumbled naked across the room to rip his comm from the pocket of his jeans where they laid on Frank’s floor. The battery was dead.

He bit off an oath and scooped up all of his clothes, running through to the lounge. He dumped his stuff on the couch while he rifled through his bag for a new battery pack. He stuffed into the device and pressed power, tossing it on the coffee table while he wriggled himself into both fresh underwear and his jeans.

The comm began beeping incessantly when it had booted up. Gerard pulled a plain t-shirt over his head and picked it up, heart hammering with that dangerous sort of I’mlateI’mlate adrenaline. His inbox was overrun with messages and missed calls from both Mikey and Perry. He didn’t even have time to look through them yet. The time on his comm confirmed that yes, he’d slept in over an hour later than he’d intended and he was already supposed to have been at the venue for lobby call.

He dug down to the bottom of his bag and shrugged on the khaki shirt he usually wore for fights. He wouldn’t have time to dress at the venue at this rate, especially if there were irate members of the press waiting for him to show his face. Gerard tugged on his boots and spared a thought for that cup of authentic coffee he was going to miss out on.

He took a long piss – all that fucking pepsi – and made it back to Frank’s bedroom doorway before he copped out. There was no way Gerard had the heart to wake him. He looked so fucking peaceful, and besides, Gerard didn’t really have the time to wait around for Frank to get ready as well. He marched back into the lounge and reached into his bag for a blank holographic memo. He held the device up in front of his face and pressed record.

“Hey, Frank. So, my comm battery died and my alarm didn’t go off. I’m already almost half an hour late for lobby call and my manager is probably gonna rip my dick off.” He ran a hand through his hair and sighed stressfully. “I didn’t have time to wait but I wanted to leave you this so you know I’m not skipping out on you like a shitty one night stand or anything. The fight starts at like half 9, so if you make it over to the venue I’d still really like you to be there. It’s at The Pyramid. Just ask for Worm, okay, I’ll tell him to expect you. If you don’t make it maybe I’ll swing by later. Check you haven’t changed your mind or anything. Um. Hope to see you later.”

He took his thumb off the record button and left it on the coffee table with a notification symbol hovering above it. If he had the time he’d have watched it over and probably rerecorded it another 2 or 3 times but he was already pushing it. Gerard made sure the rest of his belongings were stuffed in his bag and hoisted it on his shoulder.

He jogged his way down the stairs of the apartment building and didn’t slow until he’d reached the main road. He hovered on the edge of the sidewalk and waved an arm out, hailing down the closest taxi and folding himself into the backseat.
“I need to get to The Pyramid, quick as you can.”
“I’ll do what I can, sir. A lot of people are heading that way this morning, I’m afraid.”
The driver was courteous but definitely human. Gerard could smell fried breakfast on him.

He dug in his pocket for his comm and thumbed through a few of the messages from Mikey.

Where are u? M

R u running late? M

Perry’s throwing a bitch fit r u close?

G where the fuck r u? Y is ur comm off?

He gave in and pressed call, adrenaline still pumping in his veins. When Mikey’s face flooded the screen it was understandably agitated, but because they were brothers Gerard could also see the relief.
“Fucking finally” Mikey groaned. “Gerard, where the hell have you been? Perry’s about ready to explode.”
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, my comm died.”
“He’s been calling round all the local hotels and everything, where the hell did you stay last night?”

Gerard coloured and he knew Mikey could see it on the video.
“That doesn’t matter right now. How much shit am I in? Was there press?”
Mikey’s eyes narrowed but he chose not to pursue his curiosity. Yet.
“A little bit. We had to fob them off for now but there’ll be time when you get here. Just please tell me you’re on your way.”
“I’m in the cab. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”
“I’ll have Worm and a couple of the guys wait out front.”
“Thanks. Be there soon.”
Gerard was under no illusions that the fans had probably worked out he had yet to arrive. There were bound to be some waiting.

Gerard flicked through the remainder of his messages, wincing at some of the choice words Perry had chosen to slip in there. He hoped Mikey would pass on the message so that he could put off that conversation as long as possible. He looked out of the window where they’d already become trapped in a wall of traffic. It was just gone 8am; the road was full of both employees on their way to work and people on their way to the venue just like Gerard.

He sighed heavily as they sat there unable to move.
“Trying my best, buddy” came the cab driver’s voice from the front. “You know I can whack us into levitation if you have the hundred bucks to cover it. If you’re that desperate, I mean.”
Gerard took a glance inside his wallet briefly, shook his head.
“I am but I don’t have the credits for it.”

Gerard met his eyes in the rear-view mirror and picked out the exact moment the guy clocked him.
“Wait, you’re G3rard?”
Gerard smiled weakly.
“Yep.”
“I guess you’re pretty late then, huh?”
“Yeah, sorta.” Gerard pinched the bridge of his nose and screwed his eyes shut. “Is there nothing you can do?”
“Well… My niece freakin’ loves you, man. I’d be uncle of the year if I came back with something with your signature on it.”

Gerard sighed in relief. He didn’t usually like to use his fame to his advantage, but in this case he knew he could make the exception guiltlessly. Now was not the time to be missing matches, not while he was climbing up to the World Championships. He threw an arm up in the air, defeated.
“I’ll go one better. I record her a holomemo and you shift us into hover, alright?”

The cabby grinned into the mirror, already hitting the correct gears. Gerard sighed in relief, tugging another memo out of his bag and asking the cabby for his niece’s name to record a message that was far more pleasant and obliging than he felt.

The airways were a lot less clogged, and they flew above the bulk of the traffic seamlessly, getting to the venue in a fraction of the time it would have taken on the road. As predicted there was quite a gathering of fans, holding up signs and screaming Gerard’s name as they spotted him through the window.

Gerard waved at Worm, beckoning him and a couple of his lackeys over to shield him from the crowds as he got out of the car. He fumbled his way out of the cab, thanking the driver profusely and sending well wishes to his niece.

“Nice of you to turn up” Worm smirked kindly, getting an arm around Gerard to steer him into the staff entrance of the venue. “Perry’s doing his nut.”
“Don’t fucking remind me” Gerard grumbled, trying his best to smile and wave at the fans so they got at least something for their wait.

The adrenaline had finally abated now that he was inside the venue and he breathed calmly for the first time since he’d left Frank in bed. He shook his head, remembering, and regarded Worm as he walked him through the backstage corridors to get to his team.
“Hey, Worm, I’ve got a guest coming along later.” (He hoped.) “Could you wait out front and bring him backstage?”
“Yeah, sure. Who am I looking for?”
“His name’s Frank. Short, tattooed. I told him to ask for you. If he’s not here before I go on bring him to Mikey, alright?”
“Sure thing, boss. He a friend?”
A little smile played around Gerard’s mouth and he was glad Worm wasn’t looking.
“Yeah. He is.”

Worm left to wait for Frank as soon as he’d dropped Gerard off at the team room. Gerard was glad to see that they hadn’t taken El out front yet. Mikey looked relieved to see him, and came forward for a hug before he did anything else.
“Where’s Perry?” Gerard asked as he wrapped an arm around his brother.
“Still schmoozing the press, I suppose. It won’t be long ‘til he feeds you to them.”
“No, I know.” Gerard drew back and walked toward his mau5, who turned her massive head in his direction as he approached. “You feelin’ okay, princess? I’ll see you in a little bit, alright? We’re gonna kick some ass today.”

Gerard gave a nod to the nearby tech who began to lead her out to the venue and set her up. Mikey was shaking his head in amusement.
“You’re like Ash fucking Ketchum with that thing.”

It was an old reference, but one that Gerard got, and he grinned accordingly. Unfortunately for him that’s when Mikey decided to pounce, instructing the remaining members of tech support to go out front and help set up so that they were alone.
“Gerard.”

He didn’t even need to add another word for Gerard to start blushing. Mikey could see straight through him and Gerard was thoroughly aware of it. He should have known that Mikey would demand to know even before Gerard would elect to tell him.

Gerard went to get a coffee from the MealMaker they’d been provided with as he began to talk. It was a far cry away from what Frank had stocked up, but in comparison to some of the sludge he’d had to choke down in the past it was pretty decent.
“Okay, so I didn’t stay in a hotel. …I met someone and I went back to his place.”

Mikey’s face was carefully blank, as usual. Gerard simply kept talking.
“Before you even say it, I know I don’t do that. But at the risk of sounding like the worst fucking cliché, this guy is different.” He took a sip of his coffee. “I went to a bar after the fight and we got talking and I don’t know. There’s something about him. We just click. So I went back to his place.”
“You’re making it sound very simple.”
“It was.”

Mikey watched Gerard’s face for a few seconds, letting it sink in.
“It’s serious.”
“Maybe. I want it to be. It just didn’t feel like a onetime deal, Mikey, you know? It didn’t even feel like an every-time-I’m-in-town kind of deal. It just felt like…a thing. A proper thing.”

Mikey nodded. He already believed it. Gerard fucking loved Mikey.
“So, listen. I invited him to come backstage today.”
Mikey goggled a little. It was a weird sight. Not much shocked Mikey, but apparently this had. Gerard had to smother his laughter with his mug.
“You don’t hang about, do you?” Mikey laughed dryly. “Okay, well cool. What’s he like?”

Gerard gave a brief description, trying not to look too dreamy-eyed while he did so. Just as he was beginning to enthuse about how great Frank’s coffee had tasted Perry burst through the door looking flustered.

“What the hell are you doing sitting around? Get your ass over to the press room in the next 5 seconds and I don’t skin you for being over an hour late.”
Gerard set aside his mug and got out of his seat immediately, knowing not to push his luck. He threw Mikey a grin as he scuttled obediently out of the room.

Gerard spent a few minutes with each press member individually, posing for accompanying photos and sincerely apologising for the wait. The questions were all pretty standard – did he feel prepared for the tournament, was he hopeful that he’d make the World Championships, who did he expect to face in the later rounds. He tried to give decent answers, switching it up so that no two articles would be the same, and was certainly thankful when question time drew to a close and he was beckoned back to the team room.

Now that the press were off his back Perry seemed a lot more relaxed, letting Gerard’s tardiness slip by with nothing but a teasing smack round the back of the head. There wasn’t long to go now. Mikey had already prepared him a cup of coffee, which Gerard sipped with only the slightest wrinkle of his nose.

“Mikey, has Worm heard anything?”
He tried to keep his tone casual in front of Perry.
“Not a peep. He’s still out front. Do you want him to wait?”
He nodded, draining the last of his mug. He didn’t really want to think about the walk of shame he’d have to take to Frank’s apartment if he didn’t show up. However he set the thought aside, too professional to let personal thoughts wage war with his upcoming match.

Mikey pressed a hand to the comm piece in his ear. Gerard looked up hopefully.
“You’re on in 5.”

A jolt of simultaneous disappointment and nervousness zinged through Gerard’s chest and he set aside his empty cup. There wasn’t any time to worry about Frank right now. If he turned up, Mikey would let him know and he’d enjoy the match. If he didn’t… well, Gerard would deal with that later.

He got to his feet, adjusting the cuffs of his khaki shirt and reaching into his bag to retrieve his signature sunglasses. Mikey gave him a short hug as he did before every match, and the venue droid appeared in the doorway to escort him to the arena. The rest of the team wished Gerard luck as he walked past and he slid the glasses into his hair, mentally preparing himself.

There wasn’t enough time for make up so the beauty droid was waved away immediately as Gerard was led towards the arena. He shifted on his feet, clenching and unclenching his hands, fixing his gaze on the wall in front of him while he waited to be counted in.

This venue was a lot more modern than the one he’d fought in the previous morning. The wing was soundproof, leaving Gerard with no indication as to how the crowd were going to react to his arrival. He was going on first.
“The best of luck to you, Mr. Way,” the droid purred. “You’re on in 3- 2- 1.”

Gerard pushed through the sound barrier and was greeted by a room full of cheers, as the announcer read off his stats over the loudspeaker. The screams helped to settle his nerves, steeling his confidence. He was bracketed by two venue security guards on his walk down to the pyramid.

Gerard was thankful for the protection of his yellow-rimmed shades. From behind their shield he could scan the faces in the crowd whilst still projecting every ounce of confidence that his fans had come to expect. He surveyed the face of the girl screaming at him with love in her eyes; the group of rowdy drunk men, slurring and punching the air in anticipation; the young boy looking up at his hero in awe. But no Frank.

On impulse Gerard threw an arm out to touch the hand of the girl thrusting hers forth the furthest. She screamed with glee, making him grin as he passed her. He stepped into the pointed structure and spun, waving for the crowds up in the top row.

He took a couple more seconds to bask in the sound of his audience before he mentally withdrew himself, approaching his station and reaching for the controller. Gerard cast a quick glance up at his mau5 and then their opponent’s, which was green with a jagged mouth and one crossed out eye.

The announcer began to introduce his opponent and Gerard turned his head, interested to see who was going to walk out from behind the curtain.

And his opponent, hailing from New Jersey~

Gerard barely had time to think ‘oh, snap’ before everything tangible fell away. He froze, eyes wide, gripping the controller tight in one hand. The man walking down the ramp had the good grace to suppress his grin to a tame smile, hands tucked into the pockets of his black jeans. Gerard could barely swallow, barely breathe. He could hear nothing but the ringing in his ears, the moving mouths of the audience producing no sound that he could focus on.

It was Frank.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! Unexpected writer's block D:
It wasn't fun. It seriously just took me an hour to struggle through the last 146 words of this.

Hopefully I can push through it and the next one won't take so long...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support though. There are still newbies popping up every once in a while and they still make me smile, so hope you all enjoyed this chapter and hopefully see you again soon :) xo