When Life Starts Getting Old

From Russia With Love

I woke up as we were preparing to land. My whole body ached from lying on the seats for eight hours. I got off the plane to a dark, gray sky. Welcome to England. The air was cool, a nice wake-up call. I got through customs and jumped on a tram to arrivals. First stop: the loo.

Looking in the mirror while I washed my hands, my reflection almost scared me. My eyes were bloodshot and my hair was standing on end. No wonder everyone was staring at me. I did my best to fix it when my eyes caught a glimpse of something shiny—a silver and pieridot ring Dianne had given me for my birthday. I yanked it off my finger and laid it on the counter. I stared at myself for another moment, then left.

“Ma’am, you left your ring!” A kind, older woman shouted behind me.

“Keep it!” I half-smiled.

I fished through my pockets and took out my wallet and mp3 player. After converting my money, and buying a train ticket to Paddington Station, I plugged into my music and jumped on the first train I found. ‘Longview’ by Green Day began playing. Boredom. The song was just about being bored. I was bored with my life. My girlfriend of two years just dumped me and I’m in London… alone. If there was ever the perfect opportunity to shake things up, this was it.

Once arriving at Paddington, I had absolutely no idea where to go or what to do. My back was throbbing from carrying my gigantic backpack. I threw it down on a bench and unzipped it. I pulled out the directions to Dianne’s flat and tore them in half. I also dug out a little stuffed lion, a t-shirt, and pair of shoes I had brought for her. I spotted a charity shop bin on the other side of the station. I zipped my bag up and went to dump the stuff off. I sighed, feeling slightly lighter.

I went to the information booth and asked if there was a cheap place to stay nearby. The woman gave me directions as well as a discount card for a hostel three blocks away. She also sold me an Oyster card for the underground.

I called the hostel and made my reservation while I walked toward it. I looked around, trying to find things to do and places to go later on. For the first time in years, I realized, I could really look at other women. And, boy, were there plenty to look at. In only three blocks, I nearly got whiplash from all the beautiful girls around me. I loved London already.

“Name?” The elderly woman at the hostel asked.

“Uh, Marley Rogers.”

“Oh, you just called. You’re in room three-oh-seven. There is a young lady from Russia sharing with you.”

I nodded and thanked her graciously, taking the large brass key from her hands and walking up the stairs to my room. I had never stayed in a hostel before, so I felt I should knock before entering. A girl about my age with long blonde hair and piercing green eyes answered.

“Hi,” I waved. “I’m your roommate.”

“Uhh…” She stammered. “English… not good.”

“I… am sleeping… here,” I told her slowly, pantomiming the best that I could. She seemed to understand and let me in. I took a bed in the corner and laid down my stuff. The room was relatively large and could hold four more people.

“Er… your name?” The girl asked curiously, coming over to my bed.

“Marley,” I smiled. “And yours?”

“Nadia.”

“Nice to meet you.”

I shook her hand and went to unpacking my bag, pulling out all my clothes and toiletries and laying them on my bed. Without saying another word, Nadia stripped down to her underwear and began stretching. I decided not to question it, but felt it was within my right to let my eyes wander a little while I unpacked my laptop.

She sat down on the floor and reached for her toes. Then she looked over at me. “Marley, you are very… byoo-tee-ful.” She said, struggling with each syllable. I felt foolish when my cheeks grew hot with embarrassment.

“Thank you. So are you,” I replied honestly, self-consciously fixing my hair. I followed her waving hair down her back and around to her fit, smooth legs. “Are… are you a gymnast?”

“I am dancer.” Nadia replied, standing up. “I take clothes off.”

“Oh…” I replied, wondering if I was lucky to be roomed with a beautiful Russian stripper or if things were about to be incredibly awkward.

“I fly home tonight. London is no good business. I can take clothes off here for no money.” Nadia winked at me. Yes, it was getting incredibly awkward. I thought back to Longview blasting through my ears that morning. Perhaps Nadia could be my ticket to paradise—if only for the night.