When Life Starts Getting Old

Sweet Redemption

I woke up the next morning in a queen-sized bed with navy blue sheets. I closed one eye to look around because the sun streaming in behind the thin, white curtains was almost too much to bear. I looked to my left—Andrea. Then I looked to my right—Daniela. I thought back to Longview—my theme song for this trip. I could not possibly say that my life was boring anymore.

I wanted to get up, but couldn’t. Andrea’s arm was tightly wrapped around my waist and Daniela’s across my chest. Great, I apparently had a drunken threesome with two beautiful Spanish girls and could not remember a single thing. At least I hadn’t been turned down.

Turned down… I needed to try to find Casey again. Andrea stirred beside me. I slowly and cautiously wriggled out from under the girls’ grasp. Finally, I made my way to my clothes, threw them on and sneaked out the front door. I had no idea where I was, but I was determined to find out.

After hours of walking, I found the café where I had first met Casey. This time she was sitting there on the patio. Pleased with my discovery, I approached her. She was reading a book.

“May I sit here?” I asked her sweetly, ignoring the pounding headache and raspy throat I was sporting.

“Oh, hi, Marley!” She jumped, putting her book down. “Um, yeah, I suppose.”

“I hope I’m not interrupting anything.”

“No, just reading. Are you all right?”

“Yeah, why?”

“You sound hoarse and… you’re wearing sunglasses. It’s not sunny out. It’s London.”

I laughed and cleared my throat. “Just had a long night.”

I took off my sunglasses and placed them on the table. Casey looked into my eyes and gasped.

“You look ill!”

“I’m not! I just… went partying last night. Really hard. I, uh, woke up with two girls I barely know, but I wanted to come find you.”

“Why?”

“I kinda like you. I’d really love to get to know you. Getting turned down yesterday sucked a little bit.”

“I… I’m sorry. Um… I don’t know what to do. A girl has never asked me out before.”

“What? That’s crazy! Unless you’re straight… in which class I will feel like a complete ass.”

“No… I’m just a bit of a hermit, I suppose.”

“Well, here.” I reached across and took her hand. “Put the book away, take my hand, and follow me.”

“W-where are we going?” Casey stammered, obviously terrified. I shrugged my shoulders and led her through the London streets.

I ran towards the only thing I could spot above all the buildings: the London Eye. I bought two tickets and Casey and I boarded a car all by ourselves. The sky was gray and threatened to rain, but it was nothing abnormal to the inhabitants of London. The car crept up higher and higher above the city. I held Casey’s hands tightly and looked at her, nearly oblivious to the breathtaking cityscape surrounding us.

I took her glasses off and perched them on her head. “Why do you cover up such beautiful eyes?”
Casey shrugged as her cheeks turned as red as the shiny new Chuck Taylors she was wearing.

“I… I don’t mean to be so hasty, but… I’ve been listening to this song a lot. It’s about being stuck in a boring ass life doing the same old thing and going nowhere. I realized I was living that song and I think you could be the girl to save me from it. I came here to visit my long-time girlfriend, but she dumped me as I boarded my plane. I came anyway to escape. When I saw you last night, I knew you had to be someone special. Please, just take my word for it. You can think I’m mental and if you really don’t like me I’ll leave, but… have you ever been to the United States?”

“No…” Casey whispered, soaking in what I had told her.

“Would you come home with me?”

A tiny smile began in the corner of her mouth. Her pink lips curled up into a big grin as she nodded her head excitedly.

“Yes, I think I would.” She laughed, leaning forward to kiss me as the Eye reached the very top of its course. I breathed deeply and pulled back.

“I was beginning to regret buying that plane ticket to London, but that… that made it worth every penny.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, it ended a little cheesier than I wanted, but what do ya think?

Visit the character page. Marley is pretty damn cute.

~Ashton