In Your Eyes

One

I suppose you’ve never heard of the term overseas worker before. If you haven’t, it just means that someone goes to other countries to work. Small jobs like being a nurse or a nanny would be the common picks. My parents are overseas workers. They left to work in London when I was eight years old, leaving me and my little sister with our grandmother in New Jersey.

Chloe and I were pretty tight and you couldn’t blame us. The last time we saw our parents, was during her fifth birthday party, nine years ago. Something happened that day that changed our family and our lives.

We were outside waiting with my friend, Cody while our parents where getting ready for a party. Chloe’s 5th birthday party to be exact. I ran to meet someone while my dad approached her with the stuff she was going to wear. Like every girly five year old, she was going to dress like a princess and wear a tiara. A shiny silver tiara with a heart on the top. I picked out what she had to wear because our parents didn’t know what stuff she likes. They did only come back three days ago.

“Only the best for my little princess”, my dad whispered before putting it the tiara on her.

I ran towards her with a gift in my hands and Cody following. A greeting from Cody and his mom followed by my dad leading me inside. The house was exactly as I imagined. Everything I saw was pink with purple hearts, purple stars and purple flowers. There was a cake and some small chairs for my friends and big chairs for their mommies and daddies all with a pink ribbon. There was one table that was different though. It was a square table with blue cloth and four green chairs. One of which was taken by Cody.

Cody has brown hair that has a few blonde streaks like mine, except mine was black with red. We both have the same color of eyes and we both dress alike. People could actually say we’re twins if it wasn’t for the fact Cody was smaller.

“Happy Birthday princess”, I say with a smile followed by Cody greeting her for the second time.

I stand next to them while Cody talks to Chloe about her pretty dress. They both stand up and dance around me before sitting back down and laugh.

“You’re one heck of a pretty princess Chloe”, Cody laughs and she pipes in, “Since you’re my brother, Frank, you get to be a prince!”

“What about me?”, Cody pouts, making Chloe’s face scrunch up in concentration. Sometimes, it would seem like Cody’s my little brother but the truth is, he’s eight months older than me.

“Cody, we are thirteen years old and you still want to wear a little tiara? God dude! You can be so gay sometimes.”

“I know you love me being gay Iero”, he whispered before smiling like crazy for Chloe.
“Let’s go find you a pretty palace where your prince won’t be able to tease me your princessiness.”

Cody and Chloe, walk hand in hand to the front yard where the party was being held while I go to the kitchen to talk to my mom. For a thirteen year old, I’m very mature. I guess it’s because I grew up when they left. I had to. I had to watch over my little sister and be her parents and her brother and her friend at eight years old. Quite a burden, huh?

“Mom, we need to talk about Chloe”, I say, just as my mom starts putting orange icing on the cake. “And she hates orange. Use only pink, purple or blue and the lighter the shade, the better.”

“Don’t act like you know better than me abut your sister Frank” ,she scolded.

“And stop acting like you do”, I whispered but I guess she heard me because she slapped me.