St. Lucie Meets the Mafia

The Day We Met Luis

March 4, 2008

It was very windy that day. It was really starting to piss me off because it was messing up my hair. I hated it. As I was randomly talking to Anni, I suddenly heard someone from another table calling me. It was Krystal’s friend Louis.

“Hey! I like your earrings!” He yelled. I couldn’t hear what he said at first. I thought he was complimenting my hair.

“What?”

“I like your earrings! Angel wings, they’re really nice.”

“Thank you.” I simply said.

“What’s your name?” he asked me.

“Julie.” I decided to go by my real name.

“Oh, I like your earrings, Julie!”

“Thank you.” I said again.

Sometime later he come over and sat with us. He sat right next to me. A little close I might add.

“Hey, weird guy in my class…” he said to Gerardo, “Hey Krystal, hey…JULIE!” he said forgetting for a second.

“Julie.” Krystal said at about the same time.

“SHUT UP!” he yelled at her. She just looked at him surprised.

“Hey…girl I don’t know….” He said to Anni.

“Anni! Her name is Anni.” Krystal said.

“So, guys, I’m turning 17 tomorrow.”

“Oh my god.” I said.

“Yeah-“

“Their birthdays are next week.” Krystal blurted out.

“Oh really? What day?” he was a little too close for comfort but I didn’t mind to be honest.

“The 15th, next Saturday.” I said.

“Oh really, and what about you?” he asked Anni, “Are you on the same day?”

“Next wedsnday.” She replied quietly.

“The 12th!” I said.

“Wow I know four birthdays!” he exclaimed. He suddenly turned to me.

“I really like your earrings, let me see them.” Before I could say anything, he moved my hair
out of my face to see my ear and my earring.

I had heard of Luis before. I remember someday long ago, Krystal came running to us claiming that some guy was trying to rape her. He later identified him as Louis. Another day I switched jacket with Krystal and we went to the rocker corner to talk to Chris. That was when we first talked to the dude, Gerardo’s friend and the first time it talked to Luis. He came over to us.

“You know that’s jacket’s way too small on you, right?” he asked him, as he was attempting to wear my hoodie.

“Yea, it’s cause it’s mine.” I said brightly, trying to be as social as possible.

“Oh, well that makes sense. Where’s Krystal?” he asked.

“I think she’s inside.” I told him.

“Oh ok. You know the first time she met me she pinched my cheeks.”

“She does that to everyone.” I laughed.

He left.